Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What did you do for your birthday?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-05, 02:35 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Specialized FSR Induro Comp, Specialized cross bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I turned 63 on May 10th. For my birthday I rode my touring bike my age plus, 67.7 miles to be exact. A little rain and a head wind most of the way made less than perfect weather but it was good. On the way home I stopped to talk to a recycler who is rebuilding a three foot gage Shay steam locomotive. Got a neat tour of his train collection. What a treat.

A day earlier I had given myself a new recumbent Easy Racer Tour Easy. Now I put miles on the recumbent in preparation for a summer tour of 800+ miles.

Phil
Old 05-17-05, 02:02 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Can't remember my birthday this year, but I can remember my 50th, 8 years ago. Freezing cold, sleet coming down, Black ice on the roads to the hills. 50 was supposed to be a landmark, so I was taken out to breakfast at our favourite cafe by my riding mates. 30miles offroad over muddy tracks, soaking clothes,sweating like mad due to the layers put on to keep out the cold, Bike not working due to the mud clogging the gear train.

Boy did I enjoy the breakfast- I want to forget that ride.
Old 05-17-05, 07:21 AM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have not done it yet but know of people who celebrate with a group ride. Of course that means a little organization and preparation other than putting water bottles on the bike. But it is fun and the extra planning can be shared... peace
Old 05-17-05, 07:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I benched more than my weight

Joe
Old 05-17-05, 08:16 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Birthday was a couple of Sundays ago. Was in Ohio to pick up daughter from college. Went for ride in Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area (CVNRA) and the weather was glorious. Although there is a nice canal path, I was on my road bike and did a quick 35 miles out of Penninsula. Rode past many of the areas of my (and family's) past. An apartment on a wooded hillside where we lived while I was in graduate school, a stop at Old Trail School that my son attended and Hale Historical Farm that we used to visit with the kids. Rode past reconstructed covered bridge on Everett Rd. that my wife and I used to ride over before it got washed out. Also rode up Everett Rd., past Revere High, and then back down Everett - wow, nice stretch of road - doing about 45 around curves in a 25 mph zone. Last weekend did about 70 hilly miles in Hunterdon County, NJ on a similarly beautiful day.
Old 05-17-05, 09:35 AM
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny you should ask. I turned 55 on May 1st and since the Five Boro Bike Tour was scheduled for the same day it seemed like the perfect Birthday thing to do.

The Five Boro is a pretty amazing ride. The City claims 30,000 cyclists participate. The route weaves through all five boroughs and it's the only time bicycles are allowed on the Verrazzano Narrows bridge - one of the longest suspension bridges in the country.

There was a bit of rain at the start, but fortunately, the weather cleared up after the first 8 to10 miles. All in all I did 42 miles, plus a couple more getting to the start and from the finish to home.. I even got a slight tan

Stacy
Old 05-17-05, 08:02 PM

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my 50th ran a nice 15 miles in 100F+ Oklahoma sunshine. This year is 55 and I'm thinking of something. There's a full ironman a couple of weeks later. Hmmm.

BTW, I'm stupid.

Tyson
Old 05-17-05, 08:25 PM

Bikes: 04 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2010 Cannondale

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Last fall, I rode from Ohio to Delaware (375 miles) over a five day period arriving home on my 50th birthday. It was a blast.
Old 05-18-05, 10:14 AM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
30miles offroad over muddy tracks, soaking clothes,sweating like mad due to the layers put on to keep out the cold, Bike not working due to the mud clogging the gear train.
Screw that! I was taken to the pub for my 60th a few weeks ago. It was great!
Old 05-26-05, 12:50 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Specialized FSR Induro Comp, Specialized cross bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stacy, a local club member rode your ride this year. He talked about it briefly at the last club meeting. Said it was great and he would be going back. My biggest ride is the STP with 8,000 riders.
Phil
Old 05-26-05, 02:36 PM

Bikes: 06 Fuji Team RC, 03 K2 Team ZED

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last Aug 10th, I turned 60 years old and I rode my first century. It was a milestone for me as I had bypass surgery 4 years prior and had worked my way up from being able to barely ride 3 miles.
The temperature got up to 104 just as I was finishing. Haven't decided what I will do this year.