Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What is your training advice to improve aerobic fitness?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What is your training advice to improve aerobic fitness?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-16, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn
junk miles won't help you improve.
Some of us junkies just can't help ourselves.
Old 08-01-16, 10:47 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Grinding is, on a very fundamental level, a mistake for anyone "serious" about cycling. Sometimes it's unavoidable on that 11% grade but the stronger the contraction of the muscle fiber the greater the build up of metabolites and the shorter-fewer times the muscle fiber is able to contract. Lance Armstrong, under the tutelege of Dr. Iforgethisname learned to spin at a very high rate which in effect provides the muscles with their energy through a more aerobic process. It requires greater aerobic fitness and the muscles do have to be conditioned to contract at a higher rate which requires practice but the end result is an ability to continue to put out watts over a greater period of time because their are fewer metabolites produced and because the stress/strain on the muscles is lessened. If you can spin comfortably at 75, then try to spend time at 80 and 85 and do 30sec at whatever is really really high for you occasionally. It takes time to build your cadence but there are big rewards for building that muscle memory, even if you prefer to grind now and then. A recent flat 10mi section showed me spinning at an average of 89rpm at 16.7mph. For me that's pretty good. For a younger fitter person it would be sad. Everyone has different "natural" cadences and some pros spin faster than others but training to increase one's cadence ability is a fundamental part of serious cycling. I know..I know..not everyone cares and not everyone bothers to try to spin faster but pros spin fast for a reason and anyone interested in the fundamentals of becoming a "better" cyclist - whatever that is in terms of training - should consider cadence part of that fundamental training. I'm 65 and have had some serious health issues and I'm overweight and will never hold my own with a fit 50 year old but I still enjoy both training to become as good and efficient as I can along with lazy rides with friends that think 10mi is a major accomplishment. It's all good.
Old 08-02-16, 04:55 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Hills are your friends, do not avoid them.
Old 08-02-16, 11:38 AM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by ticwanos
To TimothyH -- My definition of aerobic fitness ... For right now it is having my legs give out before my lungs do. Then I want neither to give out before the ride is done. I have an ambitious goal, which is to be the first elder of my tribe (Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma)to be selected to participate in our annual Remember the Removal bicycle ride which follows the northern route of the Trail of Tears. I have a little less than a year to get ready. Two groups, one from Oklahoma, the other from the Eastern Band in North Carolina, after a week of training together in the Blue Ridge mountains, start from Echota, GA and ride to Tahlequah, OK on a 900+ mile route that includes crossing the Appalachians (think Cumberland Pass) and the Missouri and Arkansas Ozarks. The Eastern Band has never had an age limit and this year a 74 year old elder completed the ride. Only this last year did the Oklahoma Cherokees do away with the age limit and I want to be the first elder to do it. My goals are not for speed, but for endurance and hill climbing ability. Honestly, I don't know if I can pull it off, but I want to give it my best effort, and I want to train up smartly and injury free. The ride will take approximately two weeks with daily rides ranging from 40 to 70 miles with the shorter days being through some pretty steep country. It is a cultural pilgrimage to honor the strength and memories of our ancestors and to connect spiritually with both those who survived the journey and those who did not. You know I gotta be serious since I am giving up my evening beer for the duration. Too many of the wrong calories! I'll keep you posted on how the training goes and I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way.
Thank you for this. I applaud what you are doing. It obviously means a lot to you. I've ordered the T-Shirt.

I live in Acworth, Georgia. There is a stained glass window in my church depicting the trail of tears. I have not been to the Echota historic site but ride near there all the time. Might be riding near there this Saturday.

A year to get ready is good.

From what you describe there are two challenges. The first challenge is just the miles. For this you need base miles, nothing more. Riding at high intensity will only increase risk of injury here. This is key- you do not want to be injured! Base miles means low intensity, long-ish hours in the saddle. Your challenge is going to be getting on the bike day after day without injury.

Riding at high intensity means recovery time. High intensity intervals and sprints like some people suggest, without a base of fitness will require several days to recover. You will want to ride at low intensity instead so as to minimize the time it takes to recover between rides. Moderate to lower intensity - don't blow up! Build up mileage slowly with the goal of 40 to 70 miles comfortably. This will take time. Recovery is key - nutrition, proper rest, etc.

The second challenge is the hills. You could throw in some hill repeats, 8 minutes climbing, coast down, repeat twice. This is higher intensity riding and will take recovery time. It might be good to do this to get used to climbing technique if nothing else. Tempo, intervals and threshold workouts will help here but this should wait, it can come later. Depending on your level of fitness now, I would suggest waiting six months before high intensity workouts. I'm not a coach though.

Your legs and lungs are tied together. What is happening is that your leg muscles do not have enough capillaries to supply oxygen during work and they start to burn and give out. Your heart has to be strong enough to supply oxygen rich blood to the legs. Your lungs have to take in enough oxygen. Efficient processing of oxygen at moderate intensity is your goal right now, not sprinting and power. That will come, just not right away.

Send a PM if you are in Georgia. I would love to ride with you as you train and know some wonderful routes. Let me know when the event is please. I will turn out for the start to cheer you. Would be honored to ride one mile of the ride with you if allowed.

-Tim-
Old 08-04-16, 02:28 PM
Ol' Paint

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Grand Prix,'71 Schwinn Super Sport, '73 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Schwinn Super Sport, '84(?) Univega Gran Sprint, '89 Schwinn Waterford Paramount

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your thoughtful words, TimothyH. I see you understand the context of the RtR (NOT Ride the Rockies) and its meaning to the riders. I would love to share some of your favorite rides through Georgia with you, but I'm pretty sure the riders are going to be on tightly managed schedules and do the training rides in the Qualla Boundary (Cherokee reservation) in NC. As far as riding the first mile with the group goes, I think you may be welcome to do that, but I'm not sure. Although I am hopeful, it is in no way assured I will be selected to participate since there are many applicants each year. After reading everyone's perspective (thanks everyone!) I think the best approach for me is to start slower than I wanted to and work first on two things ... my base miles and my spinning. I just finished an approximately 25 mile ride doing just that. I did not wear myself out and easily conquered the hills that defeated me three weeks ago. The heat was the biggest problem ... it was 98F when I got back to the house. You learn to love hydration in Texas. I do like the idea of HIIT, but I'm not ready for that. Since we live next to a high school stadium I can do wind sprints (okay, in reality it is more like wind jogs, but you get the idea) on the gridiron painted on the parking lot for the band to practice on. Multiple short runs shouldn't impact the knees too much. This has been a very helpful thread for me and I feel I have a more focused idea what to do now.
-- Leon Briggs
Old 08-05-16, 06:12 AM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Intervals.

I double down 10-4 that !
I sometimes do Intervals util I puke,
I Often do Intervals until I can barely get out of my pedals and sometimes don't,,,
I ALWAYS do Intervals until I cannot speak a single word,

A Secret:
Combat Breathing,,,,,, Google It

Simple Intervals,, Your riding,, you look far ahead and see a sign or an odd tree a 100 or a few hundred yards ahead...
It's go time ! Downshift and spin up, or upshift and power down, matters not.

The goal Is simple, Give it everything you think you have and then add more until you reach that marker.
Settle your breathing down and do It again.

Get comfortable with being In the 'Hurt Locker'...

Last edited by osco53; 08-05-16 at 06:16 AM.
Old 08-05-16, 06:33 AM

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sounds like an awesome ride. I'm in no position to give much advice on the best way to train, but I'd just get on the bike and ride it a ton. I'm a bit of an older rider and I've found what works for me is shorter faster rides once or twice a week, and then get in some good solid miles twice a week with a couple of good rest days. It's a simple routine that works for me.
Old 08-05-16, 11:55 AM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Hi all! nice to pop back on for however long that lasts...
Lots of good suggestions here, and all need some tailoring to suit the rider and their style/available time. Have also been building 'base' for the past few months, and as always focusing on cadence and speed work seems to bring the best results early. Working to improve cadence is always a good way to build cardio, pushing a gear seems to poop me out faster than I expect (when I'm not at a 'level' I expect I can hold). I mix in some 'intervals' days (climbing and flats) and then give enough recovery days around them.
There's nothing like a good fast group ride, where you're challenged to keep up, to build speed, recovery and ride smarts - I try for at least one every week; 2 if I feel good. It's no longer much about 'goals' for me. I like and am accustomed to 'race pace' and I luv every minute on a bike/ride. Sometimes I'm just toast and get shelled, but I never regret it. ;-)
Old 08-05-16, 12:00 PM
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Find something aerobic you enjoy.

My daughter as a sophomore in HS began wrestling and went to state, then was 4th from the bottom seed in competition for Team USA. She has been to 3 of their training camps and just came back from a month-long-one. At home she trains 3 times/day (and she's a natural-born scholar). I think by next spring she will be a seed for the Team. She enjoys the training the way we enjoy bicycling, the way some enjoy fishing, etc.