Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

how long does it take to get back in shape after a winter break?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-21-16, 04:38 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just started cycling this past spring and got into decent shape (25-30 miles 2-3X per week) which took about 4 -5 months to get there. Now that winter has come and not riding nearly as much I was wondering if I have to start from scratch again once things warm up again? I am trying to do some short quick rides (5-10 miles) whenever it gets warm enough and maybe do some indoor training stuff but that's about it.

Things take a little long due to our age and was wondering how long does it take to get back to the shape you were in before winter kicked in and you had to hang up your bike? I'm pushing 60yrs and want quick results...
Old 12-21-16, 04:42 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 419 Post(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 60 Posts
It won't take you as long this time unless you do dumb things.

In the meantime, watch your diet and do some forms of exercise.

And when you climb stairs, always take them two at a time.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-21-16, 05:39 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
What winter break? You live in the Bay Area, right? All you need are warmer clothes.
Old 12-21-16, 05:46 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Why does it have to be warm for you to ride? I don't understand.
Old 12-21-16, 05:52 PM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2012 Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad View Post
Things take a little long due to our age and was wondering how long does it take to get back to the shape you were in before winter kicked in and you had to hang up your bike? I'm pushing 60yrs and want quick results...
Well, I'm now 70 and it usually takes me 4-6 weeks to start over after not riding in the winter season. However, I do try to attend a spinning class once in a while (I don't usually follow the instructor, but just spin at my own speed and resistance).

What has happened a couple times is that I've gone on a multi-day trip early in the season without really being in top shape for it, and then find that after two or three days of high mileage, I've actually "ridden myself into shape." Last June, I finished the GAP-C&O route from Pittsburgh to Washington D.C. in six days. Had some trouble with fatigue on the 2nd day, but when I finally finished it I felt good enough that I could have turned around and ridden back!
Old 12-21-16, 06:28 PM
KeithNorCal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad View Post
I'm pushing 60yrs and want quick results...
I'm only 53 but I feel that I basically have to start over after a couple months of significantly reduced activity. Maybe even after a month. :-( And I find that there is a huge difference between zero activity and moderate activity. If I can retain a moderate level of activity, I can recover much more quickly than I can after a period of zero activity.
Old 12-21-16, 06:44 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
When I didnt snowride it would take me about 2mos to feel that breakthrough ride where you just know you went from conditioning over into training. When I ride at least 2 rides each week in the snow, including some of our steeper hills in town, the conditioning in spring riding is cut in half or better.

Arnolds SchortzRBiggah once said, "muscle has memory". It's true.
Old 12-21-16, 07:04 PM
Bandera 
~>~

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
What winter break? You live in the Bay Area, right? All you need are warmer clothes.
Agree,
What "break"?
Your "winter" is the time to phase into Base Miles mode on the bike: Endurance rides in Zone 1 & 2 if you are at all serious about cycling.
Fitting mudguards & a fixed gear per tradition in your terrain may not be feasible but decent kit and a set of fenders: Good to Go.

Not getting out now on the bike?
You'll not be "in shape" for the next season in your mild climate compared to those who do and those in your age cadre who are cyclists Do.

I'm pushing 60yrs and want quick results...
There is no such thing at any age, much less now.
If serious get a coach, work a program which certainly will not take winter "off", or at minimum get out on the bike now.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 12-21-16 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-21-16, 09:53 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
About 365 days so I do not bother to take a winter break. J
Old 12-21-16, 10:01 PM
Maxacceleration
I like bikes

Bikes: A couple new and a couple old

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I do is ride on a trainer 30 minutes a day for five days a week in Oct/Nov/Dec. Jan into Feb I bump it up to an hour as riding season gets closer. March and the outdoors come back. I used to do a computrainer spin class (the best) to get the watts back up, but I have gotten away from that. This fall radiation treatments has kept me away so I have a lot of fitness to get back. But I got thin!
Old 12-21-16, 10:03 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Bikes: Steel

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 130 Posts
Six weeks for the bones to heal, but full recovery -- about 4 years.
Old 12-22-16, 08:51 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Another (maybe more helpful) thought on this.

I think a lot of it depends on how solid your level of base conditioning is.

Thanks to commuting, I ride virtually every day either 15 hilly miles or 35 flat miles. What that does is create a very solid level of base conditioning that doesn't simply vanish after several weeks of inactivity. It takes months and months.

On the other hand, to be in really good shape ... like the kind you need if you want to do your best in a race ... that kind of conditioning disappears after only a few weeks, and for me at least, takes almost twice that long to regain.
Old 12-22-16, 09:21 AM
1Mule 

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, '92 Trek 520, Novara Randonee, '89 Allez, Schwinn Sierra beater

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Currently 30 degrees in Vancouver Washington and I'm gonna head out as soon as it's full daylight to sneak in a quick 30 miles before rain rolls in today. what break?
Old 12-22-16, 09:40 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 1686 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
Why does it have to be warm for you to ride? I don't understand.
Well, I have a problem with Reynaud's syndrome, triggered by cold. Once it hits, it can literally take hours for circulation and feeling to return to my hands and feet. I keep riding short distances at least in temperatures down to the 20s, but not below that if I can help it.
Old 12-22-16, 09:57 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 2504 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I ride about 300 miles/month through the winter but it's all low intensity and I still have to get back in shape in the spring. I don't really peak until the fall so it's hard to pinpoint "back in shape" but it's a good month or six weeks until I feel like I'm back in shape.
Old 12-22-16, 12:31 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
In that past 20 years, I took one winter off. I never did that again. I was't back in top shape until summer was over. So just don't. That's what a set of resistance rollers is for. Ride them a few times a week if you can't get out on the road for whatever reason. If I can't get out for a while during winter, I do one interval session/week and the rest mostly zone 2. I also go to the gym and lift weights.
Old 12-22-16, 03:03 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 6426 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 215 Posts
"Back in shape" is too ambiguous for anyone to answer with any certainty.

What is the goal? Goals are realistic, attainable and measurable. Loose 25 lb or maybe 50 lb? Increase lactic threshold heart rate by x beats per second? Ride a four hour metric century?

What does in shape mean? Get "back in shape" is not a goal.

OP needs to determine for himself what "back in shape" means and then he can answer the question for himself.

-Tim-
Old 12-22-16, 03:09 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This varies by person, and what the shape was going in.

But one thing I can say, the older you get the longer it takes.

Decades ago, I could get off the bike in November, and jump back on in March and knock out a hundred miles. I'd pay for it later, but getting back into form from there was a snap.

These days, I can't afford to lose too much, because there's not that kind of rebound anymore, and I have to ride at least twice a week through the winter, or may not be back in form until August.

You don't have to do too much, but if you don't ride at all, you'll pay dearly in the Spring.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-22-16, 03:12 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Temp is 58 degrees in San Francisco today. Why aren't you out riding?
Old 12-22-16, 04:00 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It all depends how good of a shape you were before taking the brake?
How long were you riding?
Your age and health of course?
In the bay area you don't have to stop, the weather never get that cold, although the last few days in the early morning I went riding it was 26 degrees but warmed up relatively quickly!
Dress in layers!
Old 12-22-16, 11:58 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
For me the single greatest motivation is the memory of what it was like the spring that I didn't ride the trainer during the preceeding winter. No metrics required.

Around here its tough to get out on the road with the bike lanes filled with snow and ice. Road conditions should be better by the time February rolls around. Until then, it's base miles and intervals on the trainer.
Old 12-23-16, 12:09 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, PR-10, Ted Williams,UO-8, Puch, PHLE, UO-18 Mixte

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would do a light 12 mile stroll every other day for a least three weeks...

If you can hold to that you'll be surprised a how you can power on just like normal...
Old 12-23-16, 03:45 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis, Dawes, Merlin & Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find it so easy to get back into shape after a winter break that I suspect I was never in shape in the first place.
Old 12-23-16, 04:36 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'll join the chorus of 'what break?' In MN and NYC I don't ride as much in winter but I do still ride. I'll go about any distance in 40f or above and I'l ride a mile in just about any weather. Between these two it varies. My most frequent ride is 2 miles to my favorite local café and 2 miles back and the cutoff for that is about 5-10f (though high winds or heavy snow can change that). During winter/snow I only ride where I have safe protected bikeways.

In The Netherlands it's extremely rare that weather has any impact on any riding.

I don't do training type rides in MN or NYC after the first snow and until roads have been swept in the spring. This is mostly a safety thing. I really dislike being hit by cars. Then again, the overall number of training rides I do anytime except in The Netherlands has been declining the past couple of years partially due to age and mostly to knowing too many people who've been hit by drivers.

If you really don't want to ride in winter then find other things to stay active. Any daily physical activity is beneficial but ideally you want about 60 minutes per day of moderate physical activity — about 5 days each week. Going for brisk walks or hiking are good options. Also skiing (x-country or downhill), spin classes, riding a trainer at home, or anything that will get you breathing a bit. The more you do the faster you'll regain form in the spring.

Also, a bit of winter break or slowdown isn't bad. Many top pro bicycle racers take a few weeks off completely and then do fairly light training for several weeks. The same to a bit lessor degree applies to average people who are not even amateur athletes.

Last edited by CrankyOne; 12-23-16 at 04:41 AM.
Old 12-23-16, 08:19 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
With the aging process, the older you get, the longer everything takes. Even to empty the bladder.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.