Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Glucosamine, yea or nay?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Glucosamine, yea or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-17, 03:57 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 3,031 Times in 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Currmudge
So a dog cannot demonstrate relief from a limitation by their behavior? Bye. We're done.
Yes, they can. but the reporting observer who interprets a change in a dog's behavior could be biased by the knowledge that the dog is/isn't taking real medication.

Perhaps you should read up on the motivations and methodologies of *double blind* trials.
Old 01-02-17, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Yes, they can. but the reporting observer who interprets a change in a dog's behavior could be biased by the knowledge that the dog is/isn't taking real medication.

Perhaps you should read up on the motivations and methodologies of *double blind* trials.
Perhaps you should GFY. Since Yeager wasn't/isn't some self-declared "expert", but actually schooled and trained ( as well as experienced), I'm inclined to think she knows this, as well.

Condescension doesn't help your position.
Old 01-02-17, 04:14 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Perhaps you should GFY. Since Yeager wasn't/isn't some self-declared "expert", but actually schooled and trained ( as well as experienced), I'm inclined to think she knows this, as well.

Schooled and trained in what? Veterinary Science? Animal behavior?

Condescension doesn't help your position.
Excellent point. But obscenity surely helps yours.
Old 01-02-17, 04:45 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,801 Posts
Those supplements didn't do a thing for me. A relative gave me a year's supply after I'd been in a car wreck that busted up my back and neck, and subsequently I began experiencing joint aches from psoriatic arthritis (related to Hashimoto's thyroiditis, not the car wreck).

But some folks swear by those supplements. Even if it's a placebo effect, that's their business as long as they can afford it. Nothing wrong with paying for a placebo effect if it actually works. Most of life is a mental game anyway.
Old 01-02-17, 05:18 PM
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 420 Posts
I tried glucosamine and chondroitin for months...close to a year...like they say because that apparently it needs to build up in your system. I never felt any relief/pain reduction from it. So I stopped taking it. Then my wife read about tumeric/turmeric. It's a spice. You can get it in the spice rack at the store. It's also available in capsule in the supplement section. I went to the local health food store and got a bottle of capsules. I felt relief the next day. I take a 500mg cap twice per day. Give it a try.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric

Dan
Old 01-02-17, 06:24 PM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 1,305 Times in 720 Posts
So a dog cannot demonstrate relief from a limitation by their behavior?
I didn't say that. I said a dog's owner couldn't be sure that the behavior they were observing was a demonstration of relief.

There are a whole lot of different issues at play here -- Ms. Yeager's anthropomorphizing her pet's responses, her expectation that the dog's behavior might change after taking the supplement, the fact that the dog can't unequivocally express its own state, much less confirm that its state had changed... so many variables that it stands to reason that the only statement about the situation which isn't pure conjecture bordering on hyper-imaginative confabulation is this: Ms. Yeager appears to believe that the supplement improved her dog's quality of life.

Whether it did or not is buried under a host of our own biases. iow, not even the best anecdote, much less actual data, for evaluating whether one should consider taking the supplement.

Bye. We're done.
Pshaw, you're easy.
Old 01-02-17, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I tried glucosamine and chondroitin for months...close to a year...like they say because that apparently it needs to build up in your system. I never felt any relief/pain reduction from it. So I stopped taking it. Then my wife read about tumeric/turmeric. It's a spice. You can get it in the spice rack at the store. It's also available in capsule in the supplement section. I went to the local health food store and got a bottle of capsules. I felt relief the next day. I take a 500mg cap twice per day. Give it a try.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric

Dan
I started taking tumeric to help with my outbreaks of Sciatica. Along with St. Johns Wort and Zinc. Haven't had a flare up in Months. Not sure which one helped but will continue taking all three.
Old 01-03-17, 12:49 AM

Bikes: Specialized Camber Elite 29er

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cats and dogs metabolize Glucosamine very differently from humans, so you can't generalize efficacy in pets versus people. The Mayo Clinic says that although there are several studies that show that Glucosamine may be effective for a very few specific types of inflammation/pain, not enough studies have been done to draw any conclusions.

I took it for several years for knee and finger inflammation, the stopped for a while, then tried it again. I finally quit because there was no noticeable difference.
Old 01-03-17, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by jmiked
Cats and dogs metabolize Glucosamine very differently from humans, so you can't generalize efficacy in pets versus people. The Mayo Clinic says that although there are several studies that show that Glucosamine may be effective for a very few specific types of inflammation/pain, not enough studies have been done to draw any conclusions.

I took it for several years for knee and finger inflammation, the stopped for a while, then tried it again. I finally quit because there was no noticeable difference.
FWIW, the efficacy of glucosamine for pets is no better substantiated than it is for humans
Skepticism about Glucosamine for Arthritis in Dogs and Cats is Growing | The SkeptVet

BTW, what research shows that glucosamine metabolism in cats and dogs is very different from humans? Or should we read that sentence as "Cats and dogs MAY metabolize glucosamine very differently....."?
Old 01-03-17, 08:11 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
recently read that glucosamine & chondroitin are good for gout so since I have a big bottle of the stuff it's back in the mix of daily supplements
Old 01-03-17, 10:11 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 1,953 Times in 1,393 Posts
Those who go by studies to get their opinion of whether or not glucosamine works should check and see which form of glucosamine was studied. As I said above, the hydrochloride form has been shown not to work, pretty conclusively IMO. If the study only says "glucosamine" without giving the form, assume that it's the hydrochloride form and that there's a study bias. See:
Glucosamine sulfate: Effective osteoarthritis treatment
https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._investigation
Old 01-03-17, 01:01 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 1,953 Times in 1,393 Posts
IMO this supplement is not expensive or "wallet-emptying," that is if it works for you. 6 months' worth costs me $19.83 since I take 1/day for maintenance:
NOW Glucosamine & MSM at Bodybuilding.com: Best Prices for Glucosamine & MSM
Old 01-03-17, 01:04 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I tried it for almost a year and didn't notice any difference so I quit using it. Still can't tell any difference.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-03-17, 01:42 PM

Bikes: Origami Crane 8, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
I used glucosamine chondroitin for a couple years because of knee pain. The pain would still flare up occasionally. I quit taking it a year ago and had my most pain-free season in 5 years while riding the same bike. Don't know if it made any difference. It cost $30 for a 40-day supply unless I could find a BOGO sale.
Old 01-03-17, 10:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
FWIW, the efficacy of glucosamine for pets is no better substantiated than it is for humans
Skepticism about Glucosamine for Arthritis in Dogs and Cats is Growing | The SkeptVet

BTW, what research shows that glucosamine metabolism in cats and dogs is very different from humans? Or should we read that sentence as "Cats and dogs MAY metabolize glucosamine very differently....."?

Yes, there should have been a "may" in there.
Old 01-03-17, 10:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
recently read that glucosamine & chondroitin are good for gout so since I have a big bottle of the stuff it's back in the mix of daily supplements
I wouldn't recommend that anyone take any supplements of any kind unless their doctor says they need to. And even then, he'd have to explain why they/I should do that.
Old 01-04-17, 08:18 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by jmiked
I wouldn't recommend that anyone take any supplements of any kind unless their doctor says they need to. And even then, he'd have to explain why they/I should do that.
lol my doctor doesn't know sh*t. he had no idea I could control my gout w lemon water & apple cider vinegar. for him, the solution was ONLY pharmaceuticals
Old 01-04-17, 04:17 PM

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
lol my doctor doesn't know sh*t. he had no idea I could control my gout w lemon water & apple cider vinegar. for him, the solution was ONLY pharmaceuticals
Sounds like grounds to find another doctor.
Old 01-04-17, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Sounds like grounds to find another doctor.
may be right but I just recently got my act together to start getting regular physicals, it's all I can do to keep this going, never mind shop around for another doctor that is as informed as google
Old 01-04-17, 08:56 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
At age 84 and still quite actively pedaling, this stuff has worked for me for well over 20 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Image60-1 (1).jpg (68.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg
Kay & Rudy2.jpg (106.1 KB, 97 views)
Old 01-18-17, 09:58 AM

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
lol my doctor doesn't know sh*t.
Seems as if this is the norm these days. Back in the day, you'd go to the doc and in a matter of minutes he'd know what was wrong and give you precise treatment or instructions for a cure. Now, 90% of the time you get... "we're not sure, so we're gonna run this test and that test." Then after that, it's... "well, we're still not sure so let's try this or let's try that. Whatever works for you best, we'll have to see." Trial and error.

Good-grief...
Old 01-18-17, 10:50 AM

haven't had meat since last Thursday. I think it's helping my gout in a big way. doctor never encouraged cutting out all meat, neither did the nutritionist he referred me to. since we're ranting about doctors, mine complained I only went to see him when I was sick
Old 01-18-17, 12:02 PM
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
My knee surgeon (team doctor for the Tennessee Titans) recommended the Cosamin ASU supplement after my knee surgery. Does it do anything? I can't tell. I've gone on and off it and given it a couple chances, but I don't notice any difference at all.
Old 01-18-17, 04:47 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,801 Posts
After chronic pain from a car wreck several years ago and the onset of arthritis (family plague) I tried every supplement suggested and given to me by family. They all swore it worked for them. Didn't do a thing for me. Glucosamine, fish oil, chondroitin, MSM, etc.

Nada. After a few years I quit taking the stuff. Seemed too expensive for no placebo effect.

With the money I save I can buy bicycling stuff, decent shoes for walking, etc.

But I won't say it doesn't help some folks. Even if it's a placebo effect, if they can afford it, go for it. Much of what we do in life is a mental game anyway. Often we pay one way or another for some form of a placebo effect, pep talk, morale booster, spiritual revival, whatever you want to call it. If it feels like it works, it probably does work.

Main thing that helped was losing weight to relieve stress on the lower back, hips and knees, etc. Moderate exercise. Daily doses of OTC anti-inflammatories, ibuprofen or aspirin, with coffee -- part of a balanced breakfast. Changed my diet to cut back on the sugar and empty carbs. Drank a little less beer and alcohol, maybe one a day or less. Try to get more potassium and magnesium in my regular diet.

Took more than 10 years and mostly walking with a cane before I made enough progress to consider bicycling again in 2015. And I still follow the same exercise pattern -- very moderate, no stress. Some days I ride up to 50-60 miles, but I take breaks about every 10-20 miles. I don't mind huffing and puffing while pressing myself to climb hills or move a bit faster into the wind, but if I feel even a slight twinge in the knee or elsewhere I back off. I don't mind muscle soreness, although I don't get that often as long as I ride 2-4 days a week. But I don't risk tendons, ligaments or joints with any strain.

What really helps me is alternating cold/warm packs, soaking in a hot bath with Epsom salts, and some topical analgesic muscle rubs -- although the rubbing bit may be the most effective part, rather than the menthol, camphor, magnesium salicylate, etc.
Old 01-18-17, 05:20 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
My wife thought I should take Glucosamine Chondroitin. I asked my doctor... he said tests have shown some healing of micro fractures.... or something like that. He said it would be good as a preventative. So on days/weeks when I am training hard I take one with my coffee.

And by take one (they are huge)... I mean I crush one up and add it to my coffee with a little flavored creamer (to act as a binder, the pills are flavorless).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.