Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Pics From our First Ride on the New Tandem-453 Miles!!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pics From our First Ride on the New Tandem-453 Miles!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-17, 01:05 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
That's really outstanding. I got our tandem because my wife doesn't have much stamina on a bike. I'm hoping this helps, but it is yet to be proven. One nice handicapping thing is that I have less stamina for captaining the tandem than I do on my single bike. The farthest we've ridden the tandem in a day so far is 36 miles, but we're both eager to push that up.
That's where we started. Worked out great. The great thing about a tandem is that it doesn't have independent pedaling. Tandem cycling turns out to be great therapy for Parkinsons for that reason, and thus also for lower stamina stokers. Plus it'll make you stronger than your single bike could and the same for your stoker.

It will seem like a slow process, but 9 years later we rode RAMROD on the tandem - 154 miles and 10,000'. Now 140 y.o., we had a fun short group ride yesterday, 34 miles and 2500'. We've done loaded, credit card, and sagged touring. We are also gym buddies and lift twice a week. We ride between 2000 and 3500 miles/year on our tandem, a 2003 CoMotion Speedster.
Old 11-19-17, 02:55 PM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jppe, you are a beast! But the bigger kudos go to your wife, who was willing to be a stoker for 450 miles after only 2 training rides. I'm super impressed. My wife and I have had a tandem for a few years now, and we've only just now signed up for our first multi-day tour for next year.
Old 11-25-17, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Bottom line, didn't happen. I don't think she gave it enough of a try to even step onto the learning curve, but she just hated that she did not have independent pedaling. I worked out how I could engineer the bike to have independent pedaling, but I wasn't sure enough the time and expense would be rewarded, so we continue to do our short rides together on separate bikes.
Try a Da Vinci tandem, they have independent coasting.

Mark W
Old 11-25-17, 09:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Great pictures and a great story. That looks like an event I'd like to do.

Wonderful that your wife took to tandem riding. I bought a tandem several years ago thinking my wife might enjoy coming with me on rides. Let's just say it turned out to be the perfect vehicle to get our 10 y/o son hooked on cycling.
Be patient-/I did much the same as you, 20 years ago. I bought a tandem but my wife wasn’t all that interested so I started riding it on club rides with our son.

After a few years our son went to college and started racing, and my wife started doing tandem club rides with me where the main focus was on what we were eating at the end of the ride. She has now gone on to riding about 3-4000 miles a years with me, including multiweek independent tours in Europe most years.

Mark W
Old 11-26-17, 04:53 PM

Bikes: Klein Aura X, Chinook (an early 80's Bruce Gordon production bike), Miyata Duplicross, Cannondale Road Tandem; Cannondale Lefty f/s mountain bike; Surly Crosscheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have been riding tandems, off and on, since 1983. My wife's health has not been good lately. I am trying to lure her back on on the road with me, on a Bilenky Viewpoint, on which (a) she will have a recumbent seat with independent pedaling and an 8 speed cassette; (b) she will be in front, (her seat is above the 20 inch front wheel) so she will be able to see as well as me; and (c) we can talk. The bike is due to be delivered in late December, 2017, so I will report, hopefully with pictures as good as those above, in due course.