Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 01-05-18, 12:16 PM   #201
TruthBomb
Factual

Bikes:
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350htrr View Post
Some federal laws trump state laws some state laws trump local laws some local laws can be challenged...
Federal law applies to the sale of ebikes and their classification vis-a-vis motor vehicles.

Suggesting that Federal law trumps State and local restrictions on where ebikes can be used is once again denying reality.

Various Federal, State and local authorities have banned ebikes from many areas where normal bikes are allowed to be ridden.

p.s. In case you din't know, the BLM, which issued the ban on ebikes in Moab, is a Federal agency.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e bike eprpd.signfinal.jpg (168.4 KB, 59 views)
TruthBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 12:32 PM   #202
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed oryx with over 39,000Km on it, 11,000Km with a BionX assist on it
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
As I said depending on where you live you basically are allowed to ride an E-Bike wherever you are allowed to ride a bicycle... This is actually about the only law I know of, so what can happen in other places I have no knowledge. https://www.bikeforums.net/attachmen...1&d=1514859906
350htrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 12:54 PM   #203
TruthBomb
Factual

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350htrr View Post
As I said depending on where you live you basically are allowed to ride an E-Bike wherever you are allowed to ride a bicycle... This is actually about the only law I know of, so what can happen in other places I have no knowledge. https://www.bikeforums.net/attachmen...1&d=1514859906
That CBC chart is incomplete and inaccurate so if that's all you're relying on then that explains your confusion.

Just a few examples of areas in California where ebikes are banned while normal bikes are permitted:

Soquel Demonstration Forest (legal authority: California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection)

Annadel State Park (legal authority: California Department of Parks and Recreation)

East Bay Regional Parks District - all 1,250 miles of trails except for three that are designated in the ebike pilot study (legal authority: East Bay Regional Parks District)

Santa Monica Mountains (legal authority: National Park Service)

Point Mogu State Park (legal authority: California Department of Parks and Recreation)

etc.
etc.
etc.

Again, these are just a few examples of the many areas where ebikes are banned and normal bikes are permitted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lower-Whoops-Trail-Bend-Copy.jpg (648.1 KB, 57 views)
Old 01-05-18, 04:16 PM   #204
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Transonic 1.3, 2015 All City Mr. Pink, 2009 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2009 Jamis single speed, 2012 Scorpion FX trike
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
All the trails in my home town have signs that say,"No Motorized Vehicles". Bicycles and trikes (me and only a couple more), ride the trails regularly. Electric motor bicycles and trikes are not allowed. It makes no difference what name you put on them, E-assist, E-bike or whatever, they are not allowed on the trails here. They can be ridden on the streets. Since we have a very low crime city, the police have some time to check on the trails and do a good job of keeping mopeds and electric bikes off these trails.
BikeArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 12:14 PM   #205
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
There is an oft repeated argument that having a bike with a motor is no different than having a bike with gears as both just make riding easier. Which to me comes pretty close.
I'm sorry, but I've heard that argument too. It's nonsense.

Adding gears to a 1 speed motorcycle doesn't change the essence of what it is ... it is a motor driven vehicle.

Adding gear to a 1 speed bicycle doesn't change the essence of what it is ... a human powered vehicle.

But it does illustrate one point. If pedaling is difficult for you, it is always possible to get lower gears instead of resorting to a motor. The reason for going to the motor is to get higher speeds without the effort required to do that under human power.

As people have stated (and repeatedly), no one begrudges someone who needs a motor-assisted bike from having one. They have their place and their benefits. But ebikes are fundamentally different than a standard bicycle in one huge respect ... they are driven by a motor (albeit with an sophisticated throttling system).

As for where ebikes are permitted and where they are not, my experience on bike paths and the like for some 35 years tells me this: There is virtually NO enforcement of any laws whatsoever on the bike paths. Human powered vehicles are self regulating in terms of speed ... motorized vehicles are not. And that is why they are a Pandora's box.
Old 01-11-18, 02:27 PM   #206
momsonherbike

Bikes: 1995 Giant "Nutra" crosstrail, 2012 Giant "Avail 1" road bike
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Note to TruthBomb -

You need to practice your photoshopping skills. Seriously.

Wouldn't hurt to lighten up on the hate a little bit either so that you don't feel compelled to post what are obviously photoshopped signs in an attempt to make them look real.
momsonherbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 03:22 PM   #207
TruthBomb
Factual

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonherbike View Post
Note to TruthBomb -

You need to practice your photoshopping skills. Seriously.

Wouldn't hurt to lighten up on the hate a little bit either so that you don't feel compelled to post what are obviously photoshopped signs in an attempt to make them look real.
None of the pictures that I have posted have been photoshoped. They simply reflect the bans on ebikes in various jurisdictions. Anyone claiming otherwise is ignorant and/or paranoid.

Sharing facts ≠ hate. Seriously.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg export-0255.jpg (868.3 KB, 21 views)