Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Others still riding

Old 07-15-18, 08:25 AM
Oakman

Bikes: Paramount PDG7, GT Outpost

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Others still riding

I enjoy reading the "Still riding" threads in this forum and gain inspiration from other, older cyclists. I'm only 64, but wonder how many of us are out there with physical impediments, still riding conventional bikes. For instance, I've had Parkinson's for 15 years, and even required a cane to walk, yet I was always able to ride a bike. Still able to ride 20-30 miles at about 15 mph and enjoy it. No one would guess I'm handicapped by watching me ride, but when I dismount my unstable gait gives me away. This is not uncommon for people with Parkinson's. Are there others with similar stories?
Old 07-15-18, 10:34 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
I’m 67. No spectacular story. Started as an adult just after 30th b'day. Riding about 100mi/wk, with a lot more during some excellent weather weeks. A good sport for people rehabbing many types of limitations. Good for relaxing off the bike. Good for mental health for some.

And bicycles can be just pretty to look at.

70sFollis 072/71 Bottecchia Giro d Italia/72 Zeus Competition/78 Batavus Competition/80 Mondia Super/81 AustroDaimler Olympian/82 Harding(Holdsworth) Special/84 Pinarello SuperRecord/85 EM Corsa Extra/86 DeRosa Pro/88 Falcon Race/99 Pinarello Cadore/99 Calfee TetraPro/03 Macalu Cirrus/04 Tallerico: The less ridden = '97 CoMotion tandem + city bike, mtn bike, beach cruiser

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-16-18 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-15-18, 11:14 AM
hadassah
Almost 50 - Momma to Many

Bikes: Trek Skye S

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I enjoy reading the "Still riding" threads in this forum and gain inspiration from other, older cyclists. I'm only 64, but wonder how many of us are out there with physical impediments, still riding conventional bikes. For instance, I've had Parkinson's for 15 years, and even required a cane to walk, yet I was always able to ride a bike. Still able to ride 20-30 miles at about 15 mph and enjoy it. No one would guess I'm handicapped by watching me ride, but when I dismount my unstable gait gives me away. This is not uncommon for people with Parkinson's. Are there others with similar stories?
My mother has Parkinson's.... 20 years now. She got it young. Good for you in your riding... I wish I could see you ride.
Old 07-15-18, 11:23 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 6182 Post(s)
Just not on one of those C&V road bikes, I have a couple but they hang from the overhead.
Old 07-15-18, 03:47 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
I'm 73 y/o. No Parkinson's but I have lumbar spinal stenosis and riding a road bike is what my spine doc recommends to ease the discomfort in my back. And he is 100% correct.

A few of my neighbors who aren't cyclists and have SS look and act much older than me. For some, walking is a chore.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-15-18, 03:50 PM
lwb

Bikes: Speacialized Sequoia, Surley CrossCheck

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Riding with supplemental oxygen at 64. Been doing so on fair weather commute for 15 years.
Old 07-16-18, 04:38 AM
Oakman

Originally Posted by RonH View Post
I'm 73 y/o. No Parkinson's but I have lumbar spinal stenosis and riding a road bike is what my spine doc recommends to ease the discomfort in my back. And he is 100% correct.

I always heard the same thing about road bike riding position being good for the back/spine by extending and strengthening. Also it allows more flexibility over bumpy surfaces. But lately I see many older riders saying an upright position is better for their backs. I can see where it might help neck/shoulder/wrist pain, but not the back.
Old 07-16-18, 04:52 AM
Oakman

Originally Posted by lwb View Post
Riding with supplemental oxygen at 64. Been doing so on fair weather commute for 15 years.
Wow. There are times when I could use some of that when riding.
Old 07-16-18, 06:46 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
I always heard the same thing about road bike riding position being good for the back/spine by extending and strengthening. Also it allows more flexibility over bumpy surfaces. But lately I see many older riders saying an upright position is better for their backs. I can see where it might help neck/shoulder/wrist pain, but not the back.
Most lack the core strength to tilt forward without putting to much pressure on the hands.
Others just have physical limitations for many, many reasons.
Others like a low saddle so they can go 'feet on the ground' at all stops.
Others just like to sit up and go slow. Look at nature.

I believe in the road bike position.
70sFollis 072/71 Bottecchia Giro d Italia/72 Zeus Competition/78 Batavus Competition/80 Mondia Super/81 AustroDaimler Olympian/82 Harding(Holdsworth) Special/84 Pinarello SuperRecord/85 EM Corsa Extra/86 DeRosa Pro/88 Falcon Race/99 Pinarello Cadore/99 Calfee TetraPro/03 Macalu Cirrus/04 Tallerico: The less ridden = '97 CoMotion tandem + city bike, mtn bike, beach cruiser
Old 07-17-18, 08:23 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Originally Posted by RonH View Post

A few of my neighbors who aren't cyclists and have SS look and act much older than me. For some, walking is a chore.
I'm 52 with severe lumbar stenosis. Neurosurgeon told me last year that my lumbar spine was in the condition of most of his patients in their 70's. Walking and standing can be pretty painful but riding a bike is awesome in opening the space in the spine and taking pressure off the nerves. For the past three months I've been dealing with a cervical spine issue where my left arm has pain and tingles all the way to the fingers when I lift my head up. That makes it pretty tough on a cyclist because I can't keep my head up looking ahead for much time before having to focus again off the front wheel to stop the nerve tingling. After 5-10 miles the neck loosens a little and it gets a little more comfortable but there's still constant neck pain.

Other situations - had a nerve removed from my right foot (Morton's neuroma) so I could ride. The condition prevented me from going more than 10 miles without severe foot pain. Finally, three meniscus knee surgeries mean I can't really run anymore so that means riding.

Cycling has been there for me since the early 1980's and has always been the one activity I can go to that is the easiest on my body. And all I ride are classic and vintage bikes. I don't really have a desire for a new one. I love the simplicity, lines and comfort of a classic old steel bike especially on our rougher roads.
1984 Gitane Sprint; 1984 Gitane Tour de France; 1982 Trek 610; 1968 Peugeot PL8; 1982 Nishiki Marina 12; 1972 Peugeot PX-10; 1987 Trek 800 Antelope (touring/commuting set up); 1993 Trek 950 mtb; 1997 Klein Pulse Comp mtb; 1989 Peugeot Limestone hybrid (for touring); 1975 Gitane Olympic; 1983 Vitus 979; 1989 Spectrum Titanium:
Old 07-17-18, 08:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7730 Post(s)
It depends on the type of problem. I have several bulging disks in my lower back. When multiple discs are affected, the chances of surgery being successful are long. Combined with the fact that I take blood thinners because I have a mechanical heart valve, no one will perform surgery on me. I actually had an appointment scheduled with a highly respected surgeon with a highly respected ortho practice. Apparently after reading my file he had his admin. call me to cancel because he wouldn't touch me with a 32 1/2' pole.

Like Ron, cycling actually helps me feel better. But I know some people with upper spine problems who need a more upright position. In fact, back in '99 I rode across the country with a small group that included a 76 y.o. man (turned 77 during the tour) with upper spine/neck issues. He turned his drop bars upside down and used a very high stem to get a much more upright position. Highly unstable position, but it's what he had to do.
Old 07-17-18, 08:47 AM
bruce19

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
My "exploits" pale in comparison. About 5 years ago I crashed and broke my neck. Had C1 & C2 fused. It happened on July 24, 2013. I was back on the bike by November of 2013. Been riding and getting faster ever since. My only disability is a limited ROM. So, I use a mirror. Other than that I'm doing really well. I'm 72. Hats off to all of you.
Old 07-17-18, 10:42 AM
MoAlpha

Bikes: Occasionally

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
I have constant tingling in my hands and feet plus other minor problems from a spinal cord injury which was addressed with a C5-6 fusion and artificial disks above and below. I am also missing about half of my left quadriceps medialis from a loose disk fragment that lodged on the L3 root a few years ago (that one hurt). However, none of this stuff has limited my abilities at all in the long run and I seldom think about it. After rehab from the neck surgery at age 50-something, I was rated able to hump a 100 lb. ruck by the Army docs at Walter Reed—like I could do that before.

My hat is off to those with the real issues.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 07-17-18 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-17-18, 11:39 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Originally Posted by scozim View Post
.............................. For the past three months I've been dealing with a cervical spine issue where my left arm has pain and tingles all the way to the fingers when I lift my head up. That makes it pretty tough on a cyclist because I can't keep my head up looking ahead for much time before having to focus again off the front wheel to stop the nerve tingling.......................
Sounds like LTN(LONG THORACIC NERVE) injury. My 2011 bike crash fractured C6 and right clavicle PLUS compression of C5-C6-C7 resulting in the LTN injury that causes symptoms matching yours EXACTLY.
Old 07-17-18, 11:57 AM
MoAlpha

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
Sounds like LTN(LONG THORACIC NERVE) injury. My 2011 bike crash fractured C6 and right clavicle PLUS compression of C5-C6-C7 resulting in the LTN injury that causes symptoms matching yours EXACTLY.
The long thoracic nerve has no sensory distribution. Therefore, there is no pain or sensory change when it's injured. It is a motor nerve supplying the serratus anterior muscle, which pulls the scapula in toward the ribs. Sensory symptoms going to the fingers in relation to neck position is almost certainly due to impingement of a cervical nerve root.
Old 07-17-18, 12:27 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
The long thoracic nerve has no sensory distribution. Therefore, there is no pain or sensory change when it's injured. It is a motor nerve supplying the serratus anterior muscle, which pulls the scapula in toward the ribs. Sensory symptoms going to the fingers in relation to neck position is almost certainly due to impingement of a cervical nerve root.
The physical therapist is thinking 1) cervical stenosis or 2) thoracic outlet syndrome or a combination. Doing the conservative treatment before the ct scan or mri. My fear is stenosis. As mentioned before looking up triggers it but so does holding my arm horizontal to the side or front. Overhead is no big deal. But, again, I'm still riding, because I have to and need to for my health and sanity.
1984 Gitane Sprint; 1984 Gitane Tour de France; 1982 Trek 610; 1968 Peugeot PL8; 1982 Nishiki Marina 12; 1972 Peugeot PX-10; 1987 Trek 800 Antelope (touring/commuting set up); 1993 Trek 950 mtb; 1997 Klein Pulse Comp mtb; 1989 Peugeot Limestone hybrid (for touring); 1975 Gitane Olympic; 1983 Vitus 979; 1989 Spectrum Titanium:
Old 07-17-18, 01:44 PM
MoAlpha

Originally Posted by scozim View Post
The physical therapist is thinking 1) cervical stenosis or 2) thoracic outlet syndrome or a combination. Doing the conservative treatment before the ct scan or mri. My fear is stenosis. As mentioned before looking up triggers it but so does holding my arm horizontal to the side or front. Overhead is no big deal. But, again, I'm still riding, because I have to and need to for my health and sanity.
I hear you! I have pretty bad cervical stenosis, as well as foraminal stenosis at a few levels. I had only the mildest root symptoms, but my cord was pancaked by disks from 4-5 to 6-7 when they did the surgery I mentioned above.

Anyway, happy ending. Today, my spine still looks like complete crap from top to bottom, but I can ride in the drops and look at the horizon or trim main all day on my boat, no problem.

I actually happen to be a neurologist by training and, while if I ran your insurance company I'd let you wait for an MRI too, I hope they don't make you wait too long. If you do require surgery, talk to at least a couple of good neurosurgeons and don't let an orthopod anywhere near that neck. Once you're cleared by your PT, strength training for the deep neck muscles can be very helpful.

Good luck!
Old 07-17-18, 03:19 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Thanks for clarification must have miss-understood ortho when mentioning that the numbness and tingling could be related to winged scapula caused by C5,6,7 compression LTN injury and fractured clavicle.
Old 07-17-18, 04:14 PM
MoAlpha

Thanks for clarification must have miss-understood ortho when mentioning that the numbness and tingling could be related to winged scapula caused by C5,6,7 compression LTN injury and fractured clavicle.
You could certainly hurt the LTN in that misadventure. Sounds extremely unpleasant.
Old 07-17-18, 04:16 PM
MoAlpha

LTN is where the winged scapula comes from. Sounds very unpleasant!
Old 07-27-18, 01:31 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Originally Posted by lwb View Post
Riding with supplemental oxygen at 64.
​​​​
Wow. There are times when I could use some of that when riding.
A week ago I was in Colorado doing The Triple Bypass ride: 118 miles from Evergreen to Avon over three mountain passes, a total of 11,000' of climbing, all of it between 7,000' and 12,000' in altitude!
As I'm slogging up the second climb huffing & puffing like a life-long chainsmoker, I see another rider with a canister of Supplemental Oxygen in his jersey pocket.
Up until then I had no idea that was even a thing! ...but that day it made so much sense, I spent the rest of the ride kicking myself for not thinking of it.