Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Should an old rookie go clipless?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Should an old rookie go clipless?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-18, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
No reason to go clipless if not competing.
Nothing to gain and much to lose.
It is not a hard transition to make but people of all ages and skill levels frequently fall for no other reason than clipless pedals.
Falls that usually result in minor bike damage, cuts, bruises and even broken wrists.
frequently? usually? bs
Old 08-09-18, 11:08 PM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
I ride clipless or 'non'off and on, have 4 pairs of clipless shoes if you include keen sandals. There are pros and cons, but I'd don't really feel safety plays into it.

Ain't no big thing. If I am climbing hills or a fast group ride I'm clipless. If I'm shopping, visiting or eating I'm likely wearing AdiRacers in toe straps or riding pinned platforms.

The one issue is switching between the two practices. If you do this, muscle memory to unclip comes real slow. You brain gets used to pinned platforms and BLAM, you forget to unclip. Over time, your brain seems to figure out which shoes you're wearing.almost unconscionably
Old 08-10-18, 05:38 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by robertj298
So all these clipless riders over 50 just do so to feel more legit or serious?
I do it for the babes. Clips are babe magnets.

Old 08-10-18, 07:53 AM

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1986 Schwinn Passage, 1987 Shogun Katana, 2018 Giant Anyroad Advanced, 2013 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 93 Posts
Been using single sided spd touring pedals on my two primary bikes for a few years now. The kids wanted to go for an ice cream ride last week and as we needed to get moving or end up riding in the dark I just grabbed my tennis shoes. Long story short I kept slipping off the pedals. Felt very uncomfortable, the spd are easy to get used to and unclipping very quickly became second nature. Plus they keep my feet in place over rough roads, potholes, etc.
​​​​​​
Going to get dual sided spd next month for both bikes. It's always been a bit annoying having to flip the touring pedals to clip in.
Old 08-10-18, 08:45 AM

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It is not a hard transition to make but people of all ages and skill levels frequently fall for no other reason than clipless pedals.
Complete nonsense.
I have ridden clipless for about 20 years. I'm on look compatible but could also go to SPD no problem.
I fell when I first started with them. Maybe once or twice. I never damaged the bike or myself in these fall(s). My last fall due to learning clipless pedals was 1999.
Now in 2018 you can NOT make me go back to clips and straps. Not even close to what you get with clipless. My feet don't come out, my feet don't hurt from straps tight on them, I can get out of clipless much eaiser.
I'm not a racer and not gonna start. You got it wrong on who uses clipless pedals.
Old 08-10-18, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Falls that usually result in minor bike damage, cuts, bruises and even broken wrists.
The best part is that you paid a lot of extra money for this to happen in the form of special pedals and shoes.
But hey, if it makes someone feel like a more legit or serious biker who is anyone to dispute that?
Rock on
No reason to ride a bike either. Most people find it more comfortable to be clipped in. I've never heard of anyone 'frequently' falling. At the beginning some forget to unclip until it's too late and they take a zero speed fall. Embarrassing perhaps, but rarely harmful.
Old 08-10-18, 09:22 AM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Knock wood, but I've still never tipped over due to forgetting to unclip. I credit big feet.
Old 08-10-18, 09:28 AM

Bikes: Nigel Dean World Tour Specialized Allez

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Clipless at 60

I resisted clipless for many years, this year at age 60 I finally committed, and after some nervousness and teething problems I now prefer the feel. I have Shimano M350 with the SH51 cleats.. The downsides are I still have trouble unconnecting , it often takes me 2 or 3 attempts especially if I am tired and I still fall over from time to time (Wednesday for instance). I am inclined to blame the float but that may be unfair

Last edited by roybatythighs; 08-10-18 at 09:30 AM. Reason: missing info
Old 08-10-18, 09:39 AM
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
All my bikes have dual platform pedals.. studs one one side, cleats on the other. More than anything else, I like the way a cleats feel under my feet..
I adjust the retainer until it won't hold, then tighten it up about half a turn.. plenty to keep me secure, quick to release if I need to (I needed to last week). Came around a blind 90 corner on the MUP and darn near collided with one of the homeless guys looking for bottles. Locked up the brakes and clipped out just in time to keep from falling over.
But if I'm just bopping over to Mom's house to make sure she's taken her meds, I'll ride over there in whatever shoes I have on, so I don't gouge up her floors (she has a Kelpie dog that likes to nibble on your toes - shoes are a must around that dog)

Last edited by JLDickmon; 08-10-18 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-10-18, 12:20 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
One more longtime clipless rider who has never fallen related to foot retention devices. (Toe clips, PowerGrips, Clipless) Not yet, anyway.......(sound of rapping on head). Used toe clips/straps (never with cleats) for a long time, then PowerGrips for a year or two and then took up mountain-style SPD in the 90's. Have never used genuine Shimano pedals - but have used a variety of Nashbar, Performance, Wellgo, Victor pedals. Currently have mountain style platforms - with SPD on one side and plain with pins on the other side - on both my commuter and tandem recumbents. (Stoker uses double-sided SPD). My ti recumbent has Nashbar magnesium pedals (spd both sides). In spite of 'exotic' metals, its not a very lightweight bike.
Other than when stoking our tandem, my wife has consistently used toe clips or mini-clips for 40+ years.
Old 08-10-18, 01:00 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I use mountain style on my road bike. I wouldn't say walking is normal but not a big deal to walk a bit. After a couple close calls and probably a very public fall or two it becomes second nature to flip out the heel in anticipation of a stop or right on time.

Have no fear. Just another skill to program muscle memory.
Old 08-10-18, 02:11 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Comfort is priority. 201 mile ride yesterday with the following that I installed on my 2018 Roubaix Expert ..... https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...sh-pdm424-base .... and wear these .... https://www.amazon.com/Nashbar-Ragster-II-Cycling-Sandals/dp/B004UMFILU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1502404717&sr=8-1&keywords=nashbar+ragster+ii+cycling+sandals&linkCode=sl1&tag=natulivi0ef-20&linkId=ae5196a7bb0dc5454b442aa6ba4ad1da not available any longer.
Old 08-10-18, 06:31 PM

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Trained my wife on clipless pedals last weekend, it took about 20 minutes, she rode 31 miles the other day with me. Go clipless!
Old 08-10-18, 11:23 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
As I've mentioned before in other similar postings, I've gone from clips to clipless back to clips and now I use BMX flat pedals with pins. I prefer the latter as my feet do not move or slip and I can wear any shoes or sandals I like. Unless you race, I see no advantage to clipless, but if that's what you want, go for it.
Old 08-10-18, 11:40 PM
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
If your aigle and not forgetful, sure. That being said I’ve seen a few clipless takedowns at a stoplight that dropped a halfozen riders abreast. These always start with a “WTF!” moment. I don’t use clipless off-road due to beach sand (where I ride) messing with release. Flats allow change of foot placement if you’ve foot aches and pains.
Old 08-11-18, 02:42 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
As I've mentioned before in other similar postings, I've gone from clips to clipless back to clips and now I use BMX flat pedals with pins. I prefer the latter as my feet do not move or slip and I can wear any shoes or sandals I like. Unless you race, I see no advantage to clipless, but if that's what you want, go for it.
All good points.

To OP: go for it! You already decided. I will not - I like the freedom of the flat pedals.
Old 08-11-18, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I have ridden clipless since second or third year of my cycling. I started riding 1997 when 42 (I am 63 now). Done some riding on ordinary pedals (mostly commuting to/from work), some with ordinary clips, and a very short time with road racing clipless.

I have much preferred ordinary clipless for over a decade. Currently use Shimano steel ones retained on my shoes with two two screws each, and two-side clipless pedals.

I walk easily because the pedal retainer on the shoe doesn't usually project beyond the sole network, and I am retained on randonnee rides without any discomfort or needless wear..
Old 08-11-18, 02:12 PM

Bikes: Fuji Allegro, Miele Mountain Bike, Trek Domane AL 2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I disagree that there is nothing to gain with clipless. If I don't concentrate, my right toe turns out as it does when I walk. By turning the plate on my shoe a bit before I tightened it down to the shoe, my foot stays straight. I have no trouble locking in or releasing with this setup. When using clips, the sides of my right shoe would hit the center of the crank. Ruined a good pair of shoes that way.
Old 08-11-18, 03:12 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by robertj298
I've been riding my vintage bikes with either half clips or with clips with loose fitting straps. I just can't get used to the idea of having my feet strapped in where I can't get out of them quickly.
I'm curious about clipless pedals. So other than the pedals what type of shoes would I need and what pedals would be good to start out with? Thanks Bob
I'm 73 and have been riding with clipless pedals since 2001. Started with SPD, then Look, then SPD-SL. In 2012 when I almost didn't get out of the SPD-SLs in a emergency situation I switched to Speedplay Ultralight Action. Never had any problems since.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-11-18, 04:56 PM
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
I use regular old flat pedals. Always have. I hate cages because they are hard to stop and start in. Never went to clipless because I have huge (15 or 16) feet and I hate buying special shoes. I have a hard enough time finding regular shoes. Its worked for me so far.
Probably helps that I have never had a chance to try them because no place stocks the shoes in 15.
Old 08-11-18, 07:04 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I haven't screwed the clipless pedals I own, on my bike in a decade.

Years ago I saw (Advertised) a Mavic shoes/ pedals combination,
with a magnetic connection..
Old 08-11-18, 09:09 PM
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I selected my current pedals (Shimano road pedals) by walking into a bike store and saying "Doh! I need pedals!"
I haven't seen a whole lot of reason to pick anything different. I know people that use several different systems/brands and all of them seem satisfied with what they use. I don't remember anyone telling about trying 4 different brands trying to find one they liked, unlike, say, mirrors or bicycles.
On the "get out of them quickly"- I've stalled at slow speeds on the tandem several times (broken chain, dropped chain) and managed to get feet on the ground in time to avoid going over, which is sort of a trick. (You twist your feet sideways to get them out). There was one time that I dropped a chain just as I was starting up a steep hill and fell over, though- that was on my single bike, not the tandem, though. I've never used toe-clips so I can't compare speeds there.
Also, on my Raleigh Sojourn, I used platform pedals for 6 months or a year prior to going clipless, and when I did, I didn't notice any whopping big increase in speed or comfort or anything, so it's not like a major issue if you don't use clipless pedals. Basically, while you're moving, it's more convenient to have clipless pedals, and when you're starting and stopping, it's more convenient to have platform pedals. So if your riding mostly is continuously moving, clipless is more convenient, if you're doing lots of starting and stopping, platform pedals may be more convenient.
Old 08-12-18, 08:29 AM

Bikes: '91 Aquila Pavé, '06 Trek 520

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ButchA
I thought about it too, and for me, I just can't do it... I've seen the Shimano A530's (double sided pedals) in my LBS, and even sat down on a demo road bike with them. Clip into them, or flip them around and use the flat platform. But like I said, I just can't do it... Maybe it's me. Maybe I'm just weird.

Honestly? Old C&V style road bikes, friction shifters, gumwall tires, etc... would look a little odd with clipless pedals. Sort of anachronistic -- I think that's the word.
Don't think you're weird. I've been using loose straps most of my life, and will likely stay with them for the years that remain. I wear whatever shoes (or winter boots) I feel like for my 10-mile commute. One less thing to think about, keep track of or spend on.
Old 08-12-18, 08:52 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Just found for my long international bike tours my feet were better
in loose fitting shoes, for the months on the bike.
there, if in clipless shoes , I'd pull my feet out of the shoes..
rather than disengage,
so there a clip and strap scheme wins..
Old 08-28-18, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just to piss people off, riders with their feet clipped in do not stop at stop signs and do not obey traffic laws. Just my opinion, sorry to jump the thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.