Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Blood pressure after riding?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-24, 03:26 PM
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 183 Posts

I rode 12 miles today. Just like after riding or at the gym my bp is low even after cooling off and showering- 30-45 minutes.
I take bp meds for marginal high bp.
Today after I got home and showered my bp was 100/60.
Is this normal or something I need to talk to a dr about?
Old 04-16-24, 03:48 PM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10177 Post(s)
Liked 5,874 Times in 3,162 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I rode 12 miles today. Just like after riding or at the gym my bp is low even after cooling off and showering- 30-45 minutes.
It is normal for BP to be low after endurance exercise and, as a rule, if you feel okay and can stand up after sitting for a while without getting severely lightheaded, you’re alright. However, depending on your hypertension history and age, you could be at particularly risk of harm from low BP, so it’s definitely something to discuss with your doctor.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-16-24, 03:53 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3593 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
100/60 is considered a normal blood pressure. Were you feeling symptomatic in any way (dizzy, malaise, nausea, etc.)? What was your pulse? Low blood pressure and high pulse rate after exertion could indicate dehydration, easily remedied with water.

N.B. some blood pressure meds also affect heart rate, and may mask tachycardia resulting from dehydration. Check oral mucosa and urine color for more clues.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 04-16-24, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
You need to take BP readings over an extended period of time. Not just once. Notice if there is a pattern.
Likes For WaveyGravey:
Old 04-16-24, 04:00 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 1,947 Times in 1,391 Posts
Everyone I know who has a BP issue takes their BP at home and tells the docs what it is after riding, just like you say. Highest BP is almost always at the doctor's office, the stress and worry of having high BP gets the better of us - not to mention the lovely woman who's job it is to take said BP..
Old 04-16-24, 04:01 PM
old newbie

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
100/60 is considered a normal blood pressure. Were you feeling symptomatic in any way (dizzy, malaise, nausea, etc.)? What was your pulse? Low blood pressure and high pulse rate after exertion could indicate dehydration, easily remedied with water.

N.B. some blood pressure meds also affect heart rate, and may mask tachycardia resulting from dehydration. Check oral mucosa and urine color for more clues.
Not dizzy or light-headed but I can feel something. This isn’t new, it seems to happen every time. My pulse was only up to 127bpm.
Old 04-16-24, 04:03 PM
old newbie

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Everyone I know who has a BP issue takes their BP at home and tells the docs what it is after riding, just like you say. Highest BP is almost always at the doctor's office, the stress and worry of having high BP gets the better of us - not to mention the lovely woman who's job it is to take said BP..
My bp was about 144/94 before my doc prescribed meds.
Old 04-16-24, 04:05 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3593 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Not dizzy or light-headed but I can feel something. This isn’t new, it seems to happen every time. My pulse was only up to 127bpm.
A resting pulse of 127 is considered tachycardic, and could indicate dehydration. If your urine is dark after riding, that would also be consistent with dehydration. You may only need to drink more while riding.
Old 04-16-24, 04:17 PM
old newbie

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
A resting pulse of 127 is considered tachycardic, and could indicate dehydration. If your urine is dark after riding, that would also be consistent with dehydration. You may only need to drink more while riding.
127 is what it was when I stopped riding. It hit a high of 158 during a decent climb.
My pulse was 87 when I took my bp after cooling down and a shower.
My normal pulse at home is mid 70s and resting/asleep is low 60s.
My pulse is only high while exercising.
Old 04-16-24, 05:32 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked 3,936 Times in 2,559 Posts
I've never taken my blood pressure post ride. Been dizzy after standing up quickly post ride many, many times for may years. I try to remember because I could pass out, fall over and hit something but I've just figured that was a part of being in shape and exercising. And this has been a fact of life for me for so long that think I would have seen the adverse consequences long ago if they were there. (The elevated pulse. Likewise. It often takes me several hours for it to go down. Hard rides and it is still up when I go to bed. If it's up in the morning, I need a rest day.(Or a low gear easy spin.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-16-24, 05:50 PM
old newbie

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I've never taken my blood pressure post ride. Been dizzy after standing up quickly post ride many, many times for may years. I try to remember because I could pass out, fall over and hit something but I've just figured that was a part of being in shape and exercising. And this has been a fact of life for me for so long that think I would have seen the adverse consequences long ago if they were there. (The elevated pulse. Likewise. It often takes me several hours for it to go down. Hard rides and it is still up when I go to bed. If it's up in the morning, I need a rest day.(Or a low gear easy spin.)
Fortunately my pulse gets down to normal pretty quickly.
I have never taken my bp right after working out before a few years ago. I got really lightheaded at work patching a street in the heat-95*. My bp was about 90/60. For all I know it has always done this.
Maybe it’s all in my head. I’m 65 and keep waiting for the punch line. Other than being overweight and a little out if shape I am really pretty healthy.
Old 04-16-24, 06:01 PM
• —

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
So-called “orthostatic” dizziness, and even asymptomatic BP drops, have different and potentially more serious implications for someone on meds with a history of hypertension.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 04-16-24 at 06:30 PM.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-16-24, 06:41 PM
old newbie

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
So-called “orthostatic” dizziness, and even asymptomatic BP drops, have different and potentially more serious implications for someone on meds with a history of hypertension.
This! My daughter had it and had to go do a “tilt test@. That is nothing to ignore.
Old 04-16-24, 08:04 PM
old newbie

Moalpha for some reason I couldn’t see your reply but yes, she was tested for POTS. The result was negative.
Old 04-16-24, 08:15 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 1,947 Times in 1,391 Posts
My bp was about 144/94 before my doc prescribed meds.
So you need a BP med, which is fine. Look it up online and check out the side effects, just so you know if something seems weird you can talk to your doctor about it. The more you ride, as time goes by you'll see your BP and your standing and resting HRs drop. They'll all drop but it takes time, on the order of a few years. Just keep at it, very gradually increasing your weekly total mileage. You're doing fine and it's good to ask questions.
Old 04-17-24, 08:29 AM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6211 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 3,326 Posts
Your pulse was 127 immediately after the ride or when you took your BP after the shower?
Old 04-17-24, 08:52 AM
old newbie

Originally Posted by Iride01
Your pulse was 127 immediately after the ride or when you took your BP after the shower?
Immediately after the ride. I had put my bike on the carrier and checked.
After I got home and took a shower it was 87 with bp 100/60.

Last edited by pepperbelly; 04-17-24 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-17-24, 08:57 AM
• —

Moalpha for some reason I couldn’t see your reply but yes, she was tested for POTS. The result was negative.
I deleted it, realizing it was none of my business. Hope she's okay.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-17-24, 09:05 AM
old newbie

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I deleted it, realizing it was none of my business. Hope she's okay.
She is. Your question didn’t bother me.
Fortunately the test was negative.
Old 04-17-24, 09:11 AM
I'm good to go!

Immediately after the ride. I had put my bike on the carrier and checked.
Assuming your shower and all the other things you did post ride took up a little time, your HR at the time of the BP then is 87 a more normal number for your HR when just milling around?

As for your BP, what's bothering you about it. It's a good number. Or is your diastolic lower than it normally is?(the bottom number) Do you have a cardiologist yet? I recommend them. I've been seeing one every six months for the last 4 years or so. So far my insurance pays for most all of it. Just don't let them put one of those external portable multi lead HR monitors that you wear 24x7 on you without checking your insurance first.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-17-24 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-17-24, 09:41 AM
old newbie

Assuming your shower and all the other things you did post ride took up a little time, your HR at the time of the BP then is 87 a more normal number for your HR when just milling around?

As for your BP, what's bothering you about it. It's a good number. Or is your diastolic lower than it normally is?(the bottom number) Do you have a cardiologist yet? I recommend them. I've been seeing one every six months for the last 4 years or so. So far my insurance pays for most all of it. Just don't let them put one of those external portable multi lead HR monitors that you wear 24x7 on you without checking your insurance first.
I’m going to check with him.
My pulse just milling around is usually in the mid 70s. It goes up with exertion and in the heat. My pulse doesn’t worry me.
I am curious if my bp going low is normal.
Old 04-17-24, 12:40 PM
I'm good to go!

I just don't know why you think that's a low BP. You seemed to indicate you may have been experiencing some symptoms. But haven't disclosed any that I've read. And maybe you shouldn't here, but do let your doctor know.

If you are getting healthier from both exercise and eating better then I think what ever use to be your normal BP when less healthy would get lower. My diastolic has gotten lower over the years that I've been cycling, but I don't know that is from the exercise, old age or other heath issue. Frequently at home and resting it's 57 or less and the upper systolic is 100 - 115 most any time.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-17-24, 01:56 PM
old newbie

I just don't know why you think that's a low BP. You seemed to indicate you may have been experiencing some symptoms. But haven't disclosed any that I've read. And maybe you shouldn't here, but do let your doctor know.

If you are getting healthier from both exercise and eating better then I think what ever use to be your normal BP when less healthy would get lower. My diastolic has gotten lower over the years that I've been cycling, but I don't know that is from the exercise, old age or other heath issue. Frequently at home and resting it's 57 or less and the upper systolic is 100 - 115 most any time.
Maybe this is my new normal.
Old 04-17-24, 02:04 PM
old newbie

This isn’t due to my bp but I was really dragging today around the trail. I have been doing low carb/ not really keto. This morning I ate a keto protein bar and a tomato sandwich.
I bought some oatmeal and will try that before I ride again. I think there was just no gas in the tank today.
Balancing weight loss with nutrition for exertion is tricky.
Old 04-17-24, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts

I began seeing a cardiologist this past summer. Had a Nuclear Stress EKG. Everything was normal to very good. I will see the cardiologist every year for a follow up. I agree with you. It's a good idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.