Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is less then 10 miles worth it ?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Is less then 10 miles worth it ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-05, 11:42 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I guess if you have a purpose like getting groceries and not cranking your car's motor; then it is worth while. Or should you have a short ride to work and leave the car home..But, just for some recreational ride which is short, it is not worth getting sweaty and suiting up.
I just do not consider it a serious ride..My dilema..If it is not cold or any hills- I will get to my destination sweaty..If sweaty ,there might be a need for cycling gear. and I do not want to get to work stinking.
Old 09-08-05, 12:04 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ten miles is generally my minimum ride. I try to get at least 10 miles per day with a goal of 100 miles or more per week.

In this day and age, where even the government is recommending walking the stairs or parking a car some distance from a building in order to increase the amount of exercise; I just gotta believe that a 10 mile ride is meaningful.

Actually "10 miles" was a former goal. My actual goal is a minimum of 30 minutes of riding daily. I can almost always do 11 miles in 30 minutes or less depending on stop lights, etc. And, I always wear cycling clothes when cycling. My best days are when I am able to do more than an hour in the morning with an average speed above 14 mph or the weekends when I just ride for a long time.
Old 09-08-05, 06:28 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well let's see. If you rode six days per week @ 10 miles per day that would come to 3000 miles in a year (including a two week vacation where you didn't ride at all). Three thousand miles ain't a bad year.
Old 09-08-05, 07:08 PM
there ARE no bad rides

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike and an Iron Horse Triumph road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you enjoy the ride (and something tells me you do) it's worth every minute/mile. Do whatever you're comfortable doing or have time for and don't give it a second thought.

aj
Old 09-09-05, 10:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to go for a little ride then 10 is quite nice. If you want to do some car chasing then ten is not quite enough. BTW, the guy who has the 10 mile commute has the right idea. You feel really good both directions, leastwise I did when my job let me.
Old 09-09-05, 11:03 PM
Keep goin'

Bikes: Rocky Mt. Carve, Stumpjumper '05 HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on the rider, the terrain, the bike, the season I guess? In the chilly winter road riding can be cold. If I do 6 tough uphill miles on a Mt. Bike, I get a good workout.
Old 09-10-05, 02:10 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RabidCyclist
Well..thats probably not a good characterization of most of us who can and do ride centuries. To us, ten miles isn't very challenging particularly to get all suited up to ride. But for those who are just getting into cycling, recovering from whatever, or just like the lesiurely ride through the park, it's all good. And yeah, you'll see us talking (bragging?) about our last century. But why not? On this forum, at our age, it's something to be proud of. Thats why I like this over 50 forum. There's something here for everybody.
Only a short ride, and I'll agree about the not very challenging to an experienced rider, but I would still love the chance to get out and ride for 30minutes or so occasionally. Some of us still have to work hard to keep fit enough for a century ride, it does not come naturally so any chance of getting on the bike will even help us. Hate to say it though, 10 miles is still far enough for me to get dressed in the right gear, to make certain that I am comfortable on the bike. Nothing worse than shorts that catch or the shoe that slips on the pedals to make a short journey into a nightmare.
Old 09-10-05, 06:59 PM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
If we are saying 10 miles one way, that is more my style.
Old 09-10-05, 07:23 PM
Riding a bitsa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are thinking it's not much of a workout, make it time trial.
Old 09-10-05, 09:37 PM
Fanatic

Bikes: Priority Ace of Spades single speed

Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Litespeed
Sometimes I will get in my biking clothes, shoes etc. and just go for a short 10 mile bike ride. Does anyone think that is just to short a ride to bother with ?
Most of my rides average about 10 miles simply because I don't have the time to do more than that.
It also depends on what kind of terrain that you're talking about. When I do 10 miles there are a lots of hills where I ride which makes it pretty intense.
Old 09-11-05, 09:58 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Bella, Giant european commurter bike, Mongoose Cipressa Ti road bike, looking for a women's specifice cross bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
This is just for me-I love to ride but I need 20-25 miles minimum to make it worthwhile.

If it's a long climb and you're out on the bike for at least an hour then it might be. If it's just flat to rolling, the only time I do that is to get some blood going in the legs for an upcoming event.
I used to feel the same way--but I started commuting on my sweet road bike, 10 miles each way, and is it ever worth it!!
I still love my 25-40 milers, when I can fit them in, but heck, a ride to the corner works for me for pure enjoyment...

Now, it does seem to take my bod a long time to warm up and get into the groove, hence the love of longer rides.....

I say, ride up and down the driveway and make it worth it!!
Old 09-11-05, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
When I'm cramped for time but really need a ride, I often take 6 mile jaunts on the local trail. To make it worthwhile, I really hump it, doing windsprints and generally pushing it. It builds strength, endurance and makes the most out of a quikcie. BK
Old 09-11-05, 11:39 AM

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2004Trek 2100,1985 Nishike Prestige

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cant figure out why many consider a 3 mile 25-30 minute jog great exercise while over on the bike front many apologize for a 10 mile 40-45 minute ride.. Heck if you can get your heart beating at a good rate for even 15 minutes then youve done yourself some good.. From what Ive read theres a law of diminishing return viv a vis aerobic exercise after the 30 to 45 minute range... So hell yes a 10 mile ride, assuming riding along at a fairly good clip is definitely worth it..

Remember Dr Kenneth Cooper the father of modern aerobic exercise ? In one of his later books he came out and said that less is better...And admitted that he over estimated the need for prolonged aerobic[45 to 60 minutes] earlier in his career..

Last edited by Barese Rider; 09-11-05 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-15-05, 03:36 AM
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy getting one of my lesser riden bikes out of the shed just to ride a couple of 100 metres round to the shops !
Old 09-15-05, 08:18 AM

Bikes: Fuji Absolut '04 / Fuji 'Marlboro' Folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackberry
Well let's see. If you rode six days per week @ 10 miles per day that would come to 3000 miles in a year (including a two week vacation where you didn't ride at all). Three thousand miles ain't a bad year.
To paraphrase the old saw, "The doctor told grandma to ride 10 miles a day, and now we have no idea where she is."
Old 09-15-05, 08:21 AM
Keep goin'

Bikes: Rocky Mt. Carve, Stumpjumper '05 HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whatever makes one happy, joyous and free!
Old 09-15-05, 11:23 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Riding any distance is good. If you worked out in a gym, you'd probably only spend 20-40 minutes on a cycle machine. My average ride is only around 16 miles. On weekends I have more time and can get out for longer rides. Unless you're training for racing, any distance is good distance.
Old 09-15-05, 07:32 PM
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today it drizzled all day. Yesterday I didn’t ride so I wanted to ride but not too far. The
sky looked like it might turn to hard rain at any time. So I rode a hard hill route. After I go out my driveway I go up a hill about 13%. Then I go about 1/2 mile on slightly down hill then down 2 blocks on a steep hill that I will have to climb back up at the end of the ride. I go up and down some 8% to 12 % slopes.

Today I rode 4.1 miles but I was winded and my legs were tired. The hill climbing makes
up for the short distance. Tomorrow if its dry I’ll try for longer distance.
Old 09-16-05, 08:03 AM

Bikes: Specialized A1 Sport, Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I support those who say that whatever your distance, enjoy it and don't apologize. I also agree that time and effort are good measures, maybe superior to mileage, if a workout is the goal. Runners often go by time, rather than mileage. I do a lot of thirty minute rides, forty minutes, etc. I also do 80-100 milers. As to getting dressed, I always do that. I'm a runner too, and I wouldn't do that in street clothes and shoes.

The ride's the thing.

Leland
Old 09-18-05, 05:44 AM

Bikes: 1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dr. Kenneth Cooper, who founded Aerobics many years ago, says all you really need is 20 minutes of vigorous exercise three times a week. This will take care of your heart and cardio-vascular health. He classifies vigorous as getting your heart rate up to 75% of your maximum. So a half hour ride, if you put out some effort, is very much worth it.
Old 09-18-05, 05:55 AM
Lets Ride

Bikes: Trek 1200, Lemond Sarthe, Gary Fisher Tass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If 10 miles or less were not worth the effort then I would not be riding at all today. When I frst started riding, after extensive knee surgery in Feb 2001, I only rode 3-4 miles each day. Gradually made it to 6, then to 10 while never leaving my subdivision. Now I average 25-30 miles a day and longer rides on weekends however still enjoy the short rides very much on occasion. When I don't have much time available I get out the old hybrid I started with (about 20 yrs old) and just loaf around the neighborhood. This kind of ride is also good for a recovery ride day instead of laying on the couch. I also use short 6-10 mile rides the week before a big ride (century or brevet) instead of not riding at all. Days off are tricky and you really never know how you will feel on the big ride. Riding some has helped me rather than just not riding at all.
Old 09-18-05, 06:22 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespeed
Sometimes I will get in my biking clothes, shoes etc. and just go for a short 10 mile bike ride. Does anyone think that is just to short a ride to bother with ?
I do it 4-5 days a week -- 8.5 miles in the morning, 8.5 miles in the evening. The 8 hours in between is the unpleasant part -- working.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-18-05, 11:50 AM
Riding a bitsa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trmcgeehan
Dr. Kenneth Cooper, who founded Aerobics many years ago, says all you really need is 20 minutes of vigorous exercise three times a week. This will take care of your heart and cardio-vascular health. He classifies vigorous as getting your heart rate up to 75% of your maximum. So a half hour ride, if you put out some effort, is very much worth it.

1. Cooper had modded his claim (that's from like 30 years ago!) that shorter aerobic efforts count too. That is, you DO get benefit from less than 20 minutes. Of course, longer is better.
2. For some of us, 10 miles was a significant goal. That includes me so I'm sort of baffled by this thread. It strikes me as being rather elitist.
Old 09-18-05, 12:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slide
1. Cooper had modded his claim (that's from like 30 years ago!) that shorter aerobic efforts count too. That is, you DO get benefit from less than 20 minutes. Of course, longer is better.
2. For some of us, 10 miles was a significant goal. That includes me so I'm sort of baffled by this thread. It strikes me as being rather elitist.
Yes, it's going to be skewed on a board dedicated to cycling and, in the end, to fitness as well. The general public would say, "Wow!!!" to riding 10 miles. Nonetheless, 10 miles is, imo, excellent exercise, especially after a long day at work. The benefits seem obvious to me. You are being active. You're not sitting around being a couch potato stuffing your face. And, most importantly to me personally, you're out in the fresh air having fun. Psychologically, that leads to personal satisfaction and is a great stress dumper.

Hey, I've even done five miles and felt I've accomplished something.
Old 09-18-05, 02:20 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Current thinking:

3 10 minute aerobic sessions = the value of one 30 minute session.

And, that is about all you need to meet the current thinking on aerobic fitness for the general population.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.