Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

First Group Ride......

Old 06-16-07, 12:01 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
First Group Ride......

Donna and I went on over first group ride with the local road cycling club today. It was one of the easier rides, so we felt sure we'd keep up. We had a BLAST!! Even with my platforms and regular shorts and tennis shoes, noone said a thing about it-in fact, a few others were dressed the same, though I don't think anyone else had "freeride" pedals! It was through downtown Louisville and one of the local parks, no big hills, but for a casual ride, I was surprised at the pace. Stayed around 15-17mph most of the ride. Good group, now that I've seen how much fun it can be, can't wait for the next one. Sometimes Fredly types can fit in, and have a great time to boot!! Oh, we were more towards the first group to finish than the latter, which felt good, too, as we don't get to ride often.
Old 06-16-07, 02:54 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool! Hope you return to ride with them again.
Old 06-16-07, 04:36 PM
Wino Ryder
"Purgatory Central"

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
15-17 mph is a good cruising speed. Glad you had a good time.
Old 06-16-07, 06:04 PM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are groups to fit just about any style of riding. Glad you found one! It can really be an inducement to ride more, further, and faster than you might on your own.

I do three or more a week, from easy social rides to borderline hammerfests, depending. It's all good.

(But trust me: you'll want to get clipless pedals. And when you do, you'll say "what took me so long?" )
Old 06-16-07, 06:16 PM
freeranger

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I did try clilpless pedals--they are now on a shelf in the garage, along with the shoes. I never did feel comfortable with them. But still have them, haven't ruled out giving them another try, but for now, I'm using mtn.bike style platforms.
Old 06-16-07, 08:08 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well OK. I did my hammerfest of sorts this morning. It quickly broke into three groups, with the first being the uber-hammers, the last being the "I thought this was supposed to be fun and relaxing" riders, and the third being the ones lost in the Purgatory of biking, too vain to hang with the "noobs" but too weak to cut it with the Hammerheads. Of course I was in that middle group.

I hung in there pretty well until we hit a 13.5% grade going up about 150 feet. I was so blown by the time I got to the top that I begged my group just to go off and leave me to die peacefully, but they would have none of it. I also started to develop that nasty "ITB syndrome twinge" in my right knee that put a damper on my enthusiasm (hence my ill-tempered posts earlier today).

I rode with a guy who is a missionary and only owns a beat-up old Trek mountain bike that had knobbie tires and a (gasp!) kick-stand on it. He was probably the best rider there and could have given any of us carbon-clad poseurs a good thrashing if he had wanted to.

I found it comforting that he chose to ride with me, given my physical state and all.

I can't wait until my next group ride.

That was it.
Old 06-16-07, 08:15 PM
freeranger

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
@TWL--these weren't noobs judging by their riding!! And if you wanted miles, had the choice between 17 and 34. I was surprised by the pace, as it was a RIFRAF ride. Then again, we were in the first group back, so we were cruisin' right along.
Old 06-16-07, 08:22 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear your first group ride was fun. I love doing group rides as I feel I push myself more than if I were riding alone. I also enjoy the company and have learned a lot from the more experienced riders.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith