Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dilemma - What to keep?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Dilemma - What to keep?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-07, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dilemma - What to keep?

I'm faced with a sticky situation. After having completed the build on my Jamis Eclipse, I find that I have one too many road bikes (not enough room for them all or time to ride them all). Hence, I've made the decision (or at least I'm 80% of the way toward making it final) that the Specialized S-Works Roubaix must go. The Jamis is, for me at least, just a much more comfortable ride with the frame being a 55 instead of a 54. And, frankly, I like the feel of the carbon and steel better than all carbon. In any event, I'm struggling with the following. Do I just try to sell the Roubaix outright with the full Dura Ace group, or do I keep the Dura Ace and just sell the frameset and fork, or do I swap out the Dura Ace with Ultegra and sell it that way? I'm thinking that the Dura Ace would be nice on the Jamis, and I really like the way it performs on the Roubaix. However, I don't know how much of a barrier non-Dura Ace parts would be to a prospective buyer. Any thoughts?
Old 06-21-07, 06:40 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
I think I'd like to have your problem!! Maybe just sell the frame and fork and keep the components. Then the buyer can build it up as he sees fit, or maybe you'll find someone who has trashed a frame and is just looking for an upscale frame/fork.
Old 06-21-07, 06:52 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot depends on how many $ you want to get for the S-works. If the $ is not an issue I would swap the Dura Ace to your Jamis and have the best group and your favorite frame together. You will probably get the most money selling the components if they are really new and then you don't have the hassle building up the S-Works with Ultegra, selling may take a bit longer. My 2c

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-21-07, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Knew you would love the Eclipse. Rode my 2004 last night. While it is not for everyone, the Eclipse even at retail is a great value.
Old 06-21-07, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HAVING DuraAce would be a barrier to me. Racers and gear freaks would disagree, I'm sure, but DA is a lot of extra money over Ultegra for a pretty minimal performance edge for the kind of riding I do.
FWIW, though, could you be looking at the wrong issue here? You're willing to ride a bike that's less than you want so you can score a few more dollars on a resale? The bike will be around long after the money's gone--build up the stuff you want to ride, sell the rest for whatever you can get and put it out of your mind.
(Full disclosure: People who are already thinking about resale value when they buy what's essentially a toy are pet peeves of mine. I can see worrying about whether you'll be able to make money on a house, but you buy a bicycle to use, not as an investment.)
Old 06-21-07, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you like the Jamis frame and fork the best and you like the Dura Ace components the best, it seems like the question is asked and answered. Whatever you get for the Roubaix is bonus, however you decide to sell it. At least that is how I see it.
Old 06-21-07, 03:00 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
And I agree you don't need to build up what's left. Sell the parts. You might get a better price that way anyway.
Old 06-21-07, 03:01 PM
dbg
Si Senior

(actually send them all to me)
Old 06-21-07, 03:02 PM
dbg
Si Senior

(actually don't. i have too much stuff already)
Old 06-21-07, 03:18 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
If you can do the work yourself, I'd swap the components and sell what you don't need. I'm thinking you might be a little more for it already on the frame you're getting rid of so my choice would be to put the Ultegra on the bike you're going to sell as opposed to trying to sell the frame and components separately.

If you already have DuraAce, I'd sure as heck keep it. I like my DuraAce stuff.
Old 06-21-07, 05:32 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Keep it all. Get a larger house.