Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

One of Those Nights

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

One of Those Nights

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-07, 06:34 AM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
One of Those Nights

Last night I had one of those rare rides where everything just feels perfect. It was only 11 miles but seemed almost effortless at times. I was gliding in and out of traffic, sailing through parking lots and generally just having a great time. I even hammered to 18mph up one of the shorter (maybe 100 yds) but steep hills I climb, in my big ring. Back in May, I had to do that hill in the granny.

These rides don't happen all that often but when they do it's magical. Anyone else notice this phenom?
Old 07-25-07, 07:43 AM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They do happen once in a while, sometimes more often than others. I find they happen more often if my attitude is to have a fun ride and not the idea that I am out 'only' to get exercize...
peace
Old 07-25-07, 09:14 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find that each time I go out, I don't know how the ride will go. Sometimes everything seems perfect, and I find that I don't have anything in the tank. A couple of times I've ridden just 3-4 miles out, turn around and come home. Then on other occasions, the miles just flow under the wheels, and I'll be 2-3 mph faster.

Usually I'm better on weekends than weekday evenings. Just don't have the energy levels after a day of work that I used to have.
Old 07-25-07, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I probably sound a bit trite, but almost everytime I throw my leg across the top tube of my bike I have the expectation that it will be magical. I'm always amazed that it happens more times than not. During almost every ride I take, there is a moment when everything else disappears and my awareness is focused only on the here and how of the ride itself. This is what keeps me coming back to the bike day after day.
Old 07-25-07, 09:49 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross SportCannondale Road Warrior 500, Trek 7300

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had one of those rides yesterday, too. But it seems like that's the norm now. I was riding along and looked down at odo and saw that I had already ridden nine miles. I thought, wow, it's effortless now (well, almost). But it was great to be out on the bike and forget about everything else. It's on those rides that I really notice all the wildlife and can hear lots of birds singing. I love to ride my bike now.
Old 07-25-07, 03:48 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Computer nearly back. Working with an Old Modem thanks to the Router not liking the power surge.

Had one of those rides last night- Did not feel like riding but a break in the rain we are having so Had to get out. Normally if I don't feel like riding- I am OK after 5 minutes. Not last night- After 10 miles and I was glad to get to the cafe for a coffee. Gusty wind down on the front but I had taken a sheltered route down. Started back with a strong gusting sidewind and still did not feel like riding. Got to a hill just as Status Quo came on the I Pod with a good cadence. Went for it and made the top. Down the other side and kept pressure on to the next hill to see a rider in Front of me about 1/3rd up the hill. Repeated the Quo And hit the hill. Got the other rider just at the top and thought "Sh*t- I can't slow down now" so pushed on for another mile or so. Then "Let" him catch me up. Had a chat for a while and he set the pace and it was just a bit too fast. Luckily he turned off after a mile so I could collapse back into the saddle and slow down. I still didn't want to ride- BUT I had just overtaken my first Roadie.

P.S. Still Don't feel like riding and the Left calf has a pull on it- The shoulders feel as though they have a big weight dragging them down and I have a stuffed Nose. Anyone got any Cognac as that is the best cure I know for a cold. Doesn't make me feel better- But after a few snorts= I won't care.

Spike Milligan