Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Poll: Preferred Pedal Type

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: What kind of pedal do you most prefer?
Pedals with toe clips
16.41%
Clipless pedals - any style
67.19%
Platform pedals
18.75%
Other
2.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Preferred Pedal Type

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-07, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SPD with Nike MTB shoes. That you can ride or walk in.
Old 08-31-07, 10:01 AM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Look on my rode bike and SPDs on my other bikes.
Old 08-31-07, 10:29 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
It really comes down to the right tool for the job. Just as I ride different bikes depending on the type of ride, I also use different pedal types.

I answered above Look pedals and Sidi road shoes. This is what I use on my favorite bike which is the bike I use for long, fast rides. There are other setups that would work well enough, but not quite as well as a true road pedal with a true road shoe. For the small amount of walking I do during a ride on that bike, the minor difficulty of walking on the cleats is not important, especially using Kool Kovers over the cleats.

For commuting or riding under 20 miles to a place I will spend more than a few minutes walking around, I go with either Crank Bros. Smarty pedals and fairly flexible MTB type shoes, or clips and straps with regular shoes. The choice comes down to whether it means more to me on that ride to wear regular shoes or to ride efficiently. Often I'll just go with whatever happens to be on the bike already.

For times that I'll be on and off the bike a lot, like riding around town shopping or visiting, I'll go with regular shoes and platform pedals, with or without clips and straps.

On my MTB, there's no decision. I always ride with Eggbeaters and stiff soled MTB shoes.
Old 08-31-07, 10:36 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bebops.
Old 08-31-07, 11:19 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Clipless, I had M520s on my bike and switched to M424, much better. More platform and easier to get out of and easier on the knees. I wasn't getting the support I needed with the M520s and I don't think they are big enough for a more secure knee and foot postion.
Old 08-31-07, 11:31 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
SPD on the Mtn/commuter because I have to walk a bit when i get to work.
Shimano Ultegra on teh roadie, but Look would hve been as good.

Platforms, never never.
Old 08-31-07, 11:38 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have been using platforms with PowerGrips, but may be going back to just platforms as it is simpler.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-31-07, 11:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Used to be Look, but switched to SPD-SL. I like them better.
Old 08-31-07, 01:45 PM
But on the road more

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe '07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SPDs (520s) with road shoes on my 'cross. Nice combo, since I spend most of my time on the road. I had problems with my knees on platforms- clipless solved that problem.
Old 08-31-07, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,044 Times in 4,477 Posts
I've tried Looks, Shimano Look style, Mavic Look style, Time, (the ones with 2 piece cleats), clips and straps, and now use SPD's for everything. I have big feet, so shoes are hard to find, and I toe-out, so I use Kneesavers.
Old 08-31-07, 02:40 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mostly LOOKs but I've re-introduced SPDs now that I have road SPD shoes as well as MTB shoes. My Paramount has some really cool Dura-Ace track (triangle shaped) trap pedals. I'm tempted to replace them with similar 600 models since the DA ones sell for $400 NOS. With cheap diadora shoes / special trap cleats and strap buttons the pedals are almost as good as clipless and keep the bike vintage.
Old 08-31-07, 02:48 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by George
Clipless, I had M520s on my bike and switched to M424, much better. More platform and easier to get out of and easier on the knees. I wasn't getting the support I needed with the M520s and I don't think they are big enough for a more secure knee and foot postion.
I use the M520's on my bikes but the rear of the Tandem has the M424's fitted. Good for non clipless riders that want to ride a Tandem.

However on the New Road bike I got the A520's. They are one sided clipless pedal but it is longer than the M520's. Not quite as convenient to clip into as they are one sided but the are more comfortable on long rides due to the extra length
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Pedals.jpg (55.2 KB, 10 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 08-31-07, 03:15 PM

Location: Carlisle, in England's Lake District, just a few miles south of the border with Scotland.

Bikes: A Bianchi C2C road bike, a steel framed touring bike and a Xootr Swift folder which has made the rest redundant!

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have tried various "clipless" SPD pedals and shoes and found they caused my feet to either go numb or cramp up after a few miles. Adjusting the cleats did not help and I also found that even the so called "recessed" SPD cleats still marked wooden floors and were not comfortable to walk in. On returning to flat pedals or toe clips and straps my foot problems stopped. However, if I use an SPD compatable shoe (minus cleat) with "normal pedals" I still have numbness and cramps. Having discussed the situation with a podiatrist, she confirmed that stiff soled shoes are not good for the feet as they prevent the feet from working naturally. The small area of the SPD cleat also can cause pressure points that agrivate the situation. I have flat pedals on one of my bikes and quills with toe clips and straps on the others and have had no more discomfort. Many people do not have any problems with the "Clipless" models so maybe it is just my feet! I had no difficulties clipping in or out of the SPD pedals, but they just did not suit me. I can also wear any old comfortable (and cheap) shoes which is a bonus. I sometimes think we are the victims of marketing hype and fashion gurus. I embrace all the developments in cycle technology; indexed gearing, carbon fibre, lightweight components etc. but feel, for leisure riding, clipless pedals are overkill.
Old 08-31-07, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
I am still riding with slotted cleats (and clips and straps) on long rides. If my shoes ever wear out, I will think about buying something else.

My commuter bike has flat pedals with clips and straps.
Old 08-31-07, 04:31 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
SPD, shoes you can walk in and the same shoes for MTB and Road. In fact, the same pedals for MTB and Road.
+5, Same SPD pedals for five bikes, both MTBs, both roadies and the MUP bike. Same model SPD shoes for my son and myself. Shoes you can walk in so you don't dread a blow out quite as much.
Old 08-31-07, 04:52 PM
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 2,528 Times in 1,058 Posts
SPD's on everything. Been the case for about 15 years now.
Old 08-31-07, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just switched to SPD on my commuter/tourer. I'm leaving clips and straps on my recreational/commuter Traveller. That's partly because of nostalgia.
Old 08-31-07, 05:16 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
SPD, shoes you can walk in and the same shoes for MTB and Road. In fact, the same pedals for MTB and Road.
Just curious. What is the appeal of using the same pedal type and shoe for all of your bikes? You can only use one pair at a time.
Old 08-31-07, 06:08 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse, Peugeot Iseran, Raleigh Twenty

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use SPDs but I haven't really tried the other clipless varieties. SPD was the first I tried, liked it, and couldn't think of any compelling reason to switch (particularly since I already had the shoes at that point)
Old 08-31-07, 06:22 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
SPD A520 sport road pedals. Single sided "roadie" pedals for the SPD cleat system. One pair of shoes per year, last years shoes are mudders, next years shoes are broken in in the winter on the trainer. Once used to the feel of blind clipping in why would you want to change.
Old 08-31-07, 06:23 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Just curious. What is the appeal of using the same pedal type and shoe for all of your bikes? You can only use one pair at a time.
I like to wear sandals in the summer months and only own one pair. I can wear the sandals on all the bikes since they have the same pedal type.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 08-31-07, 06:27 PM

Bikes: Della Santa, Bike Friday Air Glide, 1974 Schwinn Paramount, Cannondale t2000 Touring, Cannondale r500 Road Silk, LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7000 mtn bike, Sears and Roebuck[ made by Puch. I have had up to 36 bikes at one time. I am a sick person.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano SPDs on five bikes , all adjusted to the "lightest" setting for easy in and out. Sidi Dominator shoes with a little tread to walk on.
Old 08-31-07, 06:31 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
SPD A520 sport road pedals. Single sided "roadie" pedals for the SPD cleat system. One pair of shoes per year, last years shoes are mudders, next years shoes are broken in in the winter on the trainer. Once used to the feel of blind clipping in why would you want to change.
In fact, I'm thinking about changing over to the Shimano RT-50 Sport road shoe which is still SPD but without the larger mud cleats. Its the functional match to the A520 pedal, a little of the MTB world and a little more of the road world.

Edited shoe #

Last edited by maddmaxx; 08-31-07 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-31-07, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Eggbeaters for both bikes. With only one pair currently, I have to switch them over if I ride the upright. Had to switch from SPD for a bit more float.
Old 08-31-07, 07:01 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speedplay Zeros on the road bike, Frogs on the hardtail...THE BEST!!! And yes, I've used LOOK, SPD's, and Time, no comparison IMHO.