Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

New Saddle

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-07, 09:09 PM

Bikes: Felt Z35

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Saddle

Got a new saddle for my Felt. The one that came on it was a killer. Went for a Specialized Alais 155. LBS said they would swap if I did not like it. Will give it a try saterday and let you know.
Old 11-24-07, 07:52 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Went LBS shopping for a saddle yesterday. Guess I'll end up ordering online and hope I like what I order. Very disappointed at the lack of selection. Guess not enough bike business around to justify carrying any inventory in this area. Visited one shop that carried Specialized saddles, and they only had one good road saddle and only had it in the 143mm width! (forget which one it was, but it is one that is available in multiple widths). Also, when I told the salesperson that I wasn't sure exactly what width would be best for me, he pointed to the pad Specialized uses to determine fit, didn't offer to check it or anything after I tried to use it. Guess they have more business than they can handle (or he didn't feel like ordering a saddle if the 143mm in stock didn't fit).
Old 11-24-07, 12:35 PM
Old biker

Bikes: Custom Cammack touring road and 1987 Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought one of these Serfas saddles about 6 months ago. Made a world of difference in how comfortable my old 67 year old bony butt feels on a longish ride.
https://rideonsports.com/itemdetails....ogId=39&id=465

Last edited by CharlesC; 11-24-07 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-24-07, 02:52 PM

Bikes: Felt Z35

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Freeranger it was not like that at all here where they sell Specialized. They have allways been verry helpful and I have never bought a bike there just accsy. Thay even said they would swap it out if I did not like it. I rode today for the first time on the new saddle it was much better than the felt saddle. So far so good. If your ever down this way PM me and I will tell you where they are.
Old 11-24-07, 03:49 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
There are many advantages to living in smaller towns like I do. Having a wide selection of cycling accessories and parts at the local bike shop is not one of them. I feel your pain.
I don't know about Freeranger's situation, but I can't blame my guys. I suppose they could carry a lot of inventory and charge higher prices to pay for all the stuff that doesn't move.
Old 11-24-07, 08:19 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Went LBS shopping for a saddle yesterday. Guess I'll end up ordering online and hope I like what I order. Very disappointed at the lack of selection. Guess not enough bike business around to justify carrying any inventory in this area. Visited one shop that carried Specialized saddles, and they only had one good road saddle and only had it in the 143mm width! (forget which one it was, but it is one that is available in multiple widths). Also, when I told the salesperson that I wasn't sure exactly what width would be best for me, he pointed to the pad Specialized uses to determine fit, didn't offer to check it or anything after I tried to use it. Guess they have more business than they can handle (or he didn't feel like ordering a saddle if the 143mm in stock didn't fit).
Why not go back to the Specialized dealer and measure it yourself? Maybe you are suited for the 143 (I am), and if not you'll know what you are suited for! Then you can order from them on a trial basis or buy from Ebay, and just re-sell if it doesn't work.

The butt pad has good instructions written on the bottom, if I recall. Just read the back and do what it says. Then you can decide if you want to get the recommended saddle or not. If not, you will have learned something useful.

Road Fan
Old 11-24-07, 09:20 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some members of this forum use a Brooks saddle, or they use no saddle at all.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 11-24-07, 09:46 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlesC
I bought one of these Serfas saddles about 6 months ago. Made a world of difference in how comportable my old 67 year old bony butt feels on a longish ride.
https://rideonsports.com/itemdetails....ogId=39&id=465
I have no experience with that model, but my Serfas ARC has served me well for several years. It is my only modern saddle; everything else is either Brooks or Ideale tensioned leather.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069