Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do You Cross-Train in the Winter?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-08, 07:57 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

For most of my adult life, I rode a bicycle all-year round with a program that might be described as "ride-moderately hard. Repeat often." This worked fine when I was younger, but during the past couple of years I developed some nagging injuries and, toward the fall, a sense of burnout.

This winter I'm taking a different approach. I'm riding less often and with more of an eye toward easy-to-moderate indoor spinning and base building (maybe one hardish ride per week). I'm also stretching a good bit more, hitting the weight room (without killing myself), walking at least five miles a day. At least one or two days a week, I use an eliptical machine instead of the bike or trainer. In short, I'm active but not in "grind-it-out" mode.

The plan is to go into the spring with fresher legs and a fresher mindset. I'm wondering, are there others who take a cross-training approach in winter or at least intentionally throttle back some in the winter? If yes, what is your approach?
Old 01-27-08, 08:08 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Sport road Haro Mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm finding this winter harder to ride due to the amount of snow we've had. I have a hard time getting motivated to do any indoor spinning so i entered myself in a half marathon at the end of February and have been trying to train for that. I'm finding it a lot harder on the old body than riding but have worked up to 12 miles so far. I'm hoping that the running will maintain some endurance base such as it was.
Old 01-27-08, 12:06 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
A few years ago I used to ride at the weekends and gym twice a week in the winter. But I got lights that were adequate enough to replace the two gym sessions with rides. So started riding the long ride at the weekend and one of the midweek rides was a 20 miler on a flattish route but taken with speed- and the other ride was a choice of 20 miles on lots of short sharp steep rises or one of the 15%-1 mile climbs we have in the area.

Can't say which was more beneficial- but this winter there have been too many nights when I get home from work tired- It is persisting down- it's cold-it's windy- and I don't ride. If it was a Gym night- I would be down there- no matter how I felt. Nothing better than looking at that Stretched lycra on others to make me want to put a bit of extra effort in just so I don't get to that stage.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-27-08, 12:34 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'm commuting to work by bike on "good weather" days (which in Seattle means any day where the rain is moderate, not awful)...that means anywhere from 2 to 4 days a week (though last week I biked 5 days).

On "bad weather" days I go to the gym. I do 30 minutes of aerobic exercise on anything *except* a stationary bike, and 30 to 40 minutes of weights. In particular, I had a trainer show me a bunch of stuff I could do to increase strength across my shoulders and neck muscles, to avoid pain and stiffness on my bike. I have some issues with neck pain on a bike (ever since a car accident many years ago), but between lots of fiddling w/my bikes and the weight lifting I'm really virtually pain free the past 60 days or so.

I'm enjoying the gym more than I thought I would -- and I think I will try to keep it up in the summer, even forgoing at least one ride a week so I have time to hit the gym to keep up the variety (and avoid burnout, as you mentioned).
Old 01-27-08, 12:36 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the winter, I try to eat more sticky buns as part of my cross-training program. Results aren't definitive yet, but I'll keep you posted.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-27-08, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
Yes.

I used to go to the gym, do some sort of aerobic extercise and if it was an easy day, lift some weights after.

This year I am alternating between my trainer and a rower. I want to do some weights, but working it in has been kinda awkward.
Old 01-27-08, 01:04 PM
Lost in Nostalgia

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actual riding time on the road has not been good with this wet and cold so I ride the rollers daily for 60-90 minutes and get a super workout. In some respects, it's better than outdoor riding because you don't have to worry about getting stopped by cars, lights, intersections etc. so, it's non-stop pedaling.

I have a resistance unit on the rollers so can crank up the difficulty past my max. after warmup, I try to maintain around 85-90% for as long as possible trying to get that LT up.

As a change of pace, I do walk/runs for about 8 miles.

I'm very curious, how much condition I can maintain by the roller workouts and the proof will be when good weather and longer days come again for long rides.

knotty
Old 01-27-08, 01:24 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
In the winter, I try to eat more sticky buns as part of my cross-training program. Results aren't definitive yet, but I'll keep you posted.
Do the sticky buns gum up the juicer?
Old 01-27-08, 02:28 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
Do the sticky buns gum up the juicer?
Yes. I've complained to the manufacturer about that.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 01-27-08, 03:02 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
This whole winter my wife and I basically haven't done anything.

This afternoon the temperature topped 50 so we took the tandem out for around 20 miles. It felt hard! To paraphrase Greg LeMond "It never gets any easier, you just go slower."
Old 01-27-08, 05:28 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I run 3 days a week when there is not enough daylight to get in a short ride before work. Here in Phoenix that is from about the third week of September thru about the second week of May. I have done that for 3 years now. I try to get to the gym for some some upper body weight lifting 3 times a week year round. In the summer I can get a short ride (40-50 minutes) before leaving for work. I dont know if the running has helped but I feel more in shape year round now.
Old 01-27-08, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I ride less in the winter and make up the difference by rowing. The two seem to be a good combination.
Old 01-27-08, 07:11 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With shorter days, it's dark or almost dark when I get home from work. Originally I planned to ride at night as often as I could, but after several weeks of that I realized that I really intensely dislike riding alone at night, all the while praying for my safety and checking the computer every 10 minutes to see if I can head home yet. So, I've added a few other activities to balance the routine, including a pilates DVD with small weights, a mini stepper, and the treadmill. Fortunately, at work I have lots of built-in opportunities for exercise with the 10-15 minute walk to my office, then 5 flights of stairs at least 2x/day, then the 10-15 minute walk back to my car after work, and whatever other walking+stairs I can fit in during the day. So, on M-F I can count on at least that much, plus whatever else I do in the evening after work. I plan to resume more cycling after work when the days are longer in spring. I just don't enjoy feeling like a moving target with blinking lights riding at night.
Old 01-27-08, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Too much snow? Try skiing. Downhill is great for the legs. XC is a great cardio workout.
Old 01-27-08, 07:36 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dendawg
Too much snow? Try skiing. Downhill is great for the legs. XC is a great cardio workout.
I wish we got more snow instead of what the weather folk call "a wintry mix" of snow, sleet, and rain. It's just lovely.
Old 01-27-08, 07:52 PM

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been hitting the gym, five times a week with rest days on Wednesdays and Sundays. I've been heavy on the treadmill (4.5 mpg at 7% incline) and some time on the stationary bikes, although the bikes aren't the best quality. I'm hoping a forecast for a warmer day tomorrow will get me out on the (real) bike for the first time in several weeks -- if I can beat the rain that's supposed to move in.

I'm definitely missing the bike time.
Old 01-27-08, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snow, sub freezing temps. and 12 days of some kind of flu/cold type thing have ruined my Jan. plans for cross training or anything else. Checked my log today and I am at least 100 miles in the hole vs. last year.

My thinking is you should cross train all year round. Anything from walking the dog to pushing a mower around the yard to running a couple of miles qualifies.
Old 01-27-08, 08:05 PM

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Move it or lose it, I always say. Any and all movement counts.
Old 01-27-08, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Yes. I've had two colds so far, which occurred on the mild, wind-free weekends. Other weekends we have snow, sleet, freezing rain, rain, wind, a high of 25 F or all of the above. So yes, I've been very cross thus far this winter. Don't get in my way!
Old 01-27-08, 09:03 PM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joined the Y about a week ago. Tried spinning once. Just tried the eliptical (?) machine. What a work out! And nothing hurt, I just felt like I'd had a good work out. I need to get into a routine, though. I have a work buddy who wants to do the Tri for Fun triathlon with me this summer. Maybe between the two of us we'll get some good habits in place. (I'm definitely a social person.)
Old 01-29-08, 06:54 PM

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to cross train all year. It shifts the burden around to different muscle groups, and helps to prevent burnout in any one physical activity. Besides cycling, I run for 30-40 minutes 3 times a week, and lift weights at home twice a week (more often if I can find the time). Also walk as much as I can.

Some "cross training" activities are unplanned, like when my cousin's kids pile into me for a wrestle, or a game of tag. Less dignity with these, but really fun
Old 01-29-08, 09:01 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I spin for 1 hour three times a week. I also ski one or two days a week, hard, quad burning skiing for as long as my legs hold up 4 - 6 hours.

I also enjoy a sticky bun now and then!