Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Plain Jersey ?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Plain Jersey ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-08, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Question: has anyone ever lost anything they put in a jersey pocket because it fell out along the way? I've wondered about this from time to time.
Not yet. But then, I've only been wearing jerseys for, let's see... 35 years.

Scott P
Bend, OR
Old 03-24-08, 10:19 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tntom
What do you all think about the plain jerseys? Do you wear them or do most of yours hane a club name or something on them? Just looking at the plain jerseys at Performance. They have some of there own and some name brand. I asked about a plain Pearl Izumi and they went nuts. It was a little high priced. Is plain a no no or something? Anyway looking for a new summer jersey and just can't seem to find what I want. Performance has a South Africa flag jersey that I kinda like. My church is doing a lot of mission work there this summer. Anyway just thought I would ask some normal folks what they thought.
Mine run the gamut, from plain to paneled to event logos to cartoons to my old racing team to plain old billboard. If I like the design, or it commemorates a special event, I'll buy it.

Scott P
Bend, OR
Old 03-24-08, 11:03 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I have quite the variety, but some are quite plain, yes. Only Pro-Team jersey is a Lotto GT that the marketing guy gave me when I worked at GT.

Lots of "Event" jerseys, including some "bragging" jerseys (5 - Pass Death Ride, Breathless Agony, etc.), and other non-brag event jerseys (STP, RAGBRAI, Solvang Prelude, Crusin' the Conejo, etc.).

Three "kinda bragging" Triple Crown Jerseys (including 1,000 mile club for 5 doubles in one year) and a Grand Slam jersey for four Planet Ultra doubles in one year.

Plus a few "bike brand" jerseys, esp. GT of course, but also a wool MASI jersey that goes quite well with my '77 Gran Criterium.

Never lost anything out of a jersey pocket though . . . it's only been 40 years! My first jersey was 'Peugeot" and went with my PX-10. It was so vintage, it still had the small pockets in the front!

Rick / OCRR
Old 03-24-08, 11:06 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
There's nothing quite like being in a "peloton" of event riders, who roll through the countryside in a cheerful visual cacophony (is that possible?) that pays tribute to beer brands, rock groups, pro bike teams, colleges, countries, branches of the military, Reeses Pieces, Ben & Jerry's ice cream, RC Cola and Moon Pies.
+1. I have pointed this out to others many times.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 03-25-08, 03:48 AM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plain so far. But often wear a green vest or jacket over it anyway.
Old 03-25-08, 05:09 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
What do you all think about the plain jerseys? Do you wear them or do most of yours hane a club name or something on them? Just looking at the plain jerseys at Performance. They have some of there own and some name brand. I asked about a plain Pearl Izumi and they went nuts. It was a little high priced. Is plain a no no or something? Anyway looking for a new summer jersey and just can't seem to find what I want. Performance has a South Africa flag jersey that I kinda like. My church is doing a lot of mission work there this summer. Anyway just thought I would ask some normal folks what they thought.
When I purchased my first bike, back in December 2006, I told myself I'd never need more than one jersey because I wasn't going to ride more than a couple miles on the bike path on Sundays if the weather was good. 3000 miles and ten jerseys later.....

Lots of folks wear plain jerseys, including me. I have two 'plain' Performance jerseys in red - long and short sleeved, a Nashbar "hi-viz" yellow jersey, a blue Descente long sleeve, an insulated Trek long sleeve, two Fat Cyclist jerseys (2007 style, in both the orange and black and pink and black color schemes), a white (or near white since I wore it in the rain) Team Copaxone jersey from my ride in the MS City to Shore, a jersey for the MS City to Shore I received as a gift, and my Bicycle Club of Philadelphia jersey. I have two others I'm selling - see my signature line.

Old 03-25-08, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I wear both kinds, so long as they have the back pockets for carrying stuff. I started out with one but quickly realized that you cant wear them more than once or twice without washing them. Rinsing off doesn't work. Polyester sure does hold the stink!
Old 03-25-08, 01:26 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Have to admit that I would never even think of riding without a proper cycling Jersey. Has to have pockets- be made of a wicking material and take grease marks. But another way of looking at the team shirts. Although they do not make or sell the replica jerseys themselves- They will allow others to make them under licence and for a fee. So every time you buy a Team shirt- You are supporting that team- virtually and monetary.

And although I have followed Cycle teams- and individual riders- I would not object to having one of the High Road team jerseys.Looks smart.

And how many of you go to Football matches and follow your team? And does part of that following include buying their team shirt? In England the big game is Soccer. And unless you are very brave- or VERY Stupid- You would not wear the opposing team's colours in the home teams section of the stands.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-25-08, 02:06 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When you ride a recumbent, those rear pockets on your jersey are difficult to use.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 03-25-08, 02:26 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A real rider... just doesn't care. Don't worry about what anyone thinks, wear your plain jerseys and enjoy your ride.

If mountain biking I tend to wear plain, earth tone jerseys, nothing flashy. If on the road I want something bright and noticeable. I really don't buy regular jerseys and tend to wear those I got from "event" rides. They can be great conversation starters. And as a woman, I do tend to like jerseys with pretty designs and nice colors... but I am chick and can get away with that.

Some of the strongest riders I know (and real strong riders don't need to show off or advertise their prowless) tend to wear the dulless jerseys with the exception of the CA Triple Crowd jersey or something similar.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 03-25-08, 02:55 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I try to be normal. Don't own any jerseys. Wear bright shirts and a reflective vest.
For most avid cyclists, that's not "normal".
Old 03-25-08, 09:32 PM
Clipless faller

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact, 1981 Raleigh Super Record 10-sp, Trek 4900 MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The basic Nashbar Essentials jersey.
Old 03-25-08, 09:39 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Have to admit that I would never even think of riding without a proper cycling Jersey. Has to have pockets- be made of a wicking material and take grease marks. But another way of looking at the team shirts. Although they do not make or sell the replica jerseys themselves- They will allow others to make them under licence and for a fee. So every time you buy a Team shirt- You are supporting that team- virtually and monetary.

And although I have followed Cycle teams- and individual riders- I would not object to having one of the High Road team jerseys.Looks smart.

And how many of you go to Football matches and follow your team? And does part of that following include buying their team shirt? In England the big game is Soccer. And unless you are very brave- or VERY Stupid- You would not wear the opposing team's colours in the home teams section of the stands.
Good response, stapfam. I wear functional cycling jerseys on the road. High visibility, wicking, easy to use zipper and snug fitting. Commercial names really don't bother me. Some of my jerseys have them, some don't. I don't have any charity, team, novelty or club jerseys. My mtn bike jerseys are not as bright and not as tight and mostly plain.
Old 03-26-08, 08:24 AM
Right wing extremist

Bikes: 05 Breezer Freedom 3 speed. 06 Bianchi Castro Valley.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All mine are plain.

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
When you ride a recumbent, those rear pockets on your jersey are difficult to use.
Even on my upright bikes I prefer recumbent jerseys (Mt Borah Bent Jersey) with their side pockets as my carry gear is easier to access and the side pockets are usable when I ride with a backpack.
Old 03-26-08, 07:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So where can I get one of the plus 50 jerseys?
Old 03-26-08, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I wear the Performance Classic jerseys in neon yellow. I like to be bright as heck nowadays.

DG, if you buy a zipper that's as long as the top of a rear jersey pocket, a seamstress can sew it on for about $10. I have them on the right rear pocket of mine. The Performance Classique jerseys sometimes come with one on there already.
Old 03-27-08, 11:28 AM

Bikes: GT Carbon Grade, Jamis Nova Pro, Giant Sedona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plain in bright yellow, white, or Hi-Viz to make a more obvious target for cell phone talking soccer moms.
Old 03-27-08, 10:58 PM
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some people just don't like the idea of being colorful. Doesn't make any difference if it is plain, patterned or with logos. However, bright colors are better from a safety standpoint. I have a black and yellow Performance jersey (which I would NEVER have bought if it had anything other than a small logo), 2 Campagnolo jerseys (1 predominately red and the other bright blue) and a black wool Cinzano jersey. I have a few other miscellaneous ones that I wear infrequently.

Anyway, buy what you like as long as it is in bright colors!
Old 03-28-08, 06:48 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are looking for plain jerseys, you might try the folks at velowear.com. They have plain, solid color jerseys in both long and short sleeve. If you sign up for their email club, which costs you nothing, they will notify you when they have sales on their items. Usually the jerseys are on sale once a year. They also have pricey shirts with graphics if you are so inclined.

That being said, I use a couple of solid mountain bike jersey's from Performance and solid road jersey from Velowear. I also have a couple of mountain bike jersey's from Performance with muted colors and contrasting trim.

My collection of brighter jerseys consist of two from the Rails to Trails Conservancy and one from the team I ride with for the Illinois MS150. I usually only wear the MS150 jersey for training rides with the group and during the event.

Al
Old 03-28-08, 07:39 AM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I usually wear the jerseys I pick up at the Goodwill clearance store for $1 a pound (thats about 25 cents a jersey as they don't weigh much). Actually got a couple of fancy ones, the rest are plain. I get whatever they have "in stock"....