Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Reply

Old 10-05-18, 05:43 AM
  #2676  
Wildwood 
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 8,082

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1587 Post(s)
Thought today about how much 'retired' or 'working' influences our perceptions.
Spinning my Wheels = used to be a bad thing at work. Now it’s mostly what I do for fun.




__________________
70sFollis 072/71 Bottecchia Giro d Italia/72 Zeus Competition/78 Batavus Competition/80 Mondia Super/81 AustroDaimler Olympian/82 Harding(Holdsworth) Special/84 Pinarello SuperRecord/85 EM Corsa Extra/86 DeRosa Pro/88 Falcon Race/99 Pinarello Cadore/99 Calfee TetraPro/03 Macalu Cirrus/04 Tallerico: The less ridden = '97 CoMotion tandem + city bike, mtn bike, beach cruiser

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-05-18 at 11:19 PM.
Wildwood is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-18, 06:49 PM
  #2677  
linberl
Senior Member
 
linberl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,168

Bikes: 2017 Bike Friday PakiT. (restored & sold: 2003 Bike Friday NWT, 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Fastbikeman View Post
Looking for advice. First I just turned 74 last week. That said I am now finding it challenging to get my leg over the saddle of my Cannondale Touring 2 bike so I am looking for options. I thought about putting smaller rims on however then the brakes could be a problem plus the cost just not might make it economical So I was thinking of purchasing a folding bike for a couple of reasons. First transportability (we enjoy camping and my bike rack just broke) second I thought they would be easier to step over. I am not sure of the size to get however I do like to ride ten to 15 miles mostly on flat surface.
I am willing to spend up to 1000 dollars but not sure of what to buy or how to fit one to my size. I am about 5' 7" and 230. Unfortunately I am unable to find a dealer around where I live to even test ride one.
So any suggestions on brand and model will be greatly appreciated
I'm a little late in seeing this but if you are still looking, I highly recommend Bike Friday. One of the only folding bikes with no hinge in the main tube so they aren't flexy. They ride like regular bikes. You can get roadie setups, mtb setups, or flat bars. Fully customizeable with standard bike parts, so if you've got that junk box of parts lying around, you can play around and swap things. They sell "refurbished" bikes on their pre-loved page, and right now have some with adjustable length frames so they fit anyone from 5'2" to over 6' and they have a sweet roadie right now for $1000. The pre-loved bikes fully overhauled and made up in Eugene, OR. BF fits in a standard size suitcase for travel, too. If you're interested in them but don't see what you want on the pre-loved right now, call them. They get trade-ups in all the time. https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/adverts

Last edited by linberl; 10-13-18 at 06:53 PM.
linberl is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-18, 03:05 AM
  #2678  
John00
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Bend Or.
Posts: 571

Bikes: 2 TiSports and a Ho Ko E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I got an email from bikeforums today wishing me a happy 69th birthday, They're a week early, but It was nice note.
John00 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-18, 08:39 AM
  #2679  
Drinian
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 16

Bikes: 1964 Sherwood Flyer, 2017 Raleigh Superbe iE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in, too

I'll be 71 this week. I've always biked, but riding has become more and more important in order to stay active.

Rob
Drinian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-18, 10:56 AM
  #2680  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 39,515

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6160 Post(s)
+1, there..
fietsbob is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-18, 09:52 AM
  #2681  
McBTC
Senior Member
 
McBTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,653

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Sheesh... how many of us turned 69 this year?
McBTC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-18, 06:20 PM
  #2682  
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Metro Indy, IN
Posts: 15,277

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Originally Posted by McBTC View Post
Sheesh... how many of us turned 69 this year?
Next year. How is it there?
__________________
RANS V3 Ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
JanMM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-18, 07:27 PM
  #2683  
McBTC
Senior Member
 
McBTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,653

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
Next year. How is it there?
keep riding and you will soon see... saw the doctor that rebuilt my knee on Monday - a 1-year follow-up... and, that's what he said: keep riding...
McBTC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-18, 11:34 AM
  #2684  
Irishred
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 17

Bikes: Tour Easy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes we all must keep riding. It's now a recumbent for me (a prostate thing). That's the only way I can keep the wheels spinning. Hate to see the cold; seems to feel colder every year in Kentucky :/ I'm 74 in March.
Irishred is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-18, 07:37 PM
  #2685  
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Metro Indy, IN
Posts: 15,277

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Hope I never have to ride a recumbent.........no, wait a minute, never mind, I've been riding 'bents for a dozen years.
__________________
RANS V3 Ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
JanMM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-18, 09:38 PM
  #2686  
HM70
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 11

Bikes: Bertoni SLX (Daccordi)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
69 this year but I'm calling it 70. After all 70 is the new 65 in today's age
HM70 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-18, 06:37 AM
  #2687  
DougG
Road Runner
 
DougG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 1,193

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2012 Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Originally Posted by HM70 View Post
69 this year but I'm calling it 70. After all 70 is the new 65 in today's age
They say that 70 may be the new 50, but 9PM is also the new midnight!
DougG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-18, 03:01 PM
  #2688  
lhill 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 75

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D, Specialized Alibi Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Just 5 days short of my 70th birthday. It was a pretty day here in Houston so I thought I would go for a bike ride and try for 35 miles. I actually did a personal best and clocked 41 miles on the MUP today!
lhill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-18, 04:24 PM
  #2689  
McBTC
Senior Member
 
McBTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,653

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DougG View Post
They say that 70 may be the new 50, but 9PM is also the new midnight!
and, 13 average miles per hour it is the new 20....
McBTC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-18, 04:28 PM
  #2690  
McBTC
Senior Member
 
McBTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,653

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
...what is pedal assist? The new walker?
McBTC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-18, 04:33 PM
  #2691  
McBTC
Senior Member
 
McBTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,653

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Originally Posted by lhill View Post
Just 5 days short of my 70th birthday. It was a pretty day here in Houston so I thought I would go for a bike ride and try for 35 miles. I actually did a personal best and clocked 41 miles on the MUP today!
that sounds pretty good... My best lately has been so far ~ 33 miles--. that could give me something to shoot floor... I'd like to ride my age but it would probably have to be in kilometers
McBTC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-18, 01:54 PM
  #2692  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 39,515

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6160 Post(s)
I hit 71, yesterday, and it was not speed.
fietsbob is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-18, 11:22 AM
  #2693  
LesG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: N. Kentucky
Posts: 56

Bikes: Trek DS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I just joined this forum several days ago and then just realized this old guy section was here. A short introduction. I'm 69 yrs. Haven't been on a bike for around 25 years or so. Then I had so much fun with a rental bike on vacation (Grand Canyon) that I was sucked back into it. Got home from that and bought a bike (after a lot of research) late June early July of this year. So, after 25 years away, I feel something of a newbie to bikes.


Geeze, you guys are impressive with your 40 and 50 mile rides. At my age I thought I was doing pretty darn good with my 15 + miles 3 or 4 times a week around home with one 30 mile ride a few weeks ago on a nice flat Rails and Trails. In defense of my comparative lack lustre short rides, it is really hilly around my house... that's my excuse and that's the story I'm stickin' with.
LesG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-18, 04:26 PM
  #2694  
justtrying
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum LesG No excuses needed sir. That is fine mileage. One question that needs to be asked. What kind of bike did you buy?
justtrying is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-18, 06:10 PM
  #2695  
LesG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: N. Kentucky
Posts: 56

Bikes: Trek DS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
The bottom line story I ended up with a 2019 Trek DS3 in silver. The shortened but longer story, I didn't want a road bike because I'm not comfortable with that riding position. OTH, I didn't want a cruiser or dutch bike because they're a bit too upright. Hybrids nicely filled the gap and what I wanted. I briefly rode 3 of them (would have liked more than a few loops around the parking lot). None were perfect (nothing ever is) but the DS3 came really close and felt the best. I've made 3 changes to it and, with those changes and 600+ miles later, I'm extremely happy with what I got.
LesG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-18, 06:20 AM
  #2696  
DougG
Road Runner
 
DougG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 1,193

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2012 Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Originally Posted by LesG View Post
The bottom line story I ended up with a 2019 Trek DS3 in silver. The shortened but longer story, I didn't want a road bike because I'm not comfortable with that riding position. OTH, I didn't want a cruiser or dutch bike because they're a bit too upright. Hybrids nicely filled the gap and what I wanted. I briefly rode 3 of them (would have liked more than a few loops around the parking lot). None were perfect (nothing ever is) but the DS3 came really close and felt the best. I've made 3 changes to it and, with those changes and 600+ miles later, I'm extremely happy with what I got.
Good choice. I have a Specialized Crosstrail, which is the Specialized equivalent of the DualSport. It's one of three (now two) bikes that I own, but sees the most mileage by far. I ride mainly on paved and unpaved rail-trails, but do make forays onto off-road trails and dirt roads and have done a few tougher, hilly "gravel grinder" rides. It's also been across Missouri on the Katy Trail and from Pittsburgh to Washington D.C. on the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O Canal trails.

And I'm not quite ready for an e-bike yet, but if I were getting one now it would be the Trek DualSport+.
DougG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-18, 11:33 AM
  #2697  
LesG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: N. Kentucky
Posts: 56

Bikes: Trek DS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DougG View Post
Good choice. I have a Specialized Crosstrail, which is the Specialized equivalent of the DualSport. It's one of three (now two) bikes that I own, but sees the most mileage by far. I ride mainly on paved and unpaved rail-trails, but do make forays onto off-road trails and dirt roads and have done a few tougher, hilly "gravel grinder" rides. It's also been across Missouri on the Katy Trail and from Pittsburgh to Washington D.C. on the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O Canal trails.

And I'm not quite ready for an e-bike yet, but if I were getting one now it would be the Trek DualSport+.
Being out of biking for 20 or 25 years, I did a lot of research before making the trip to the bike store because so much has changed.The Specialized Crosstrail and the Sirrus was on my list but the local store had neither. The Sirrus along with the Trek FX made the list because, in my research, there was a lot a negative talk (controversy may be a better word) about the front suspension of hybrids...the main negatives being the extra weight, little travel and being an entry level component. I can't deny any of those things. Most of the time mine is in the locked out position. However if I hit a rough patch, uneven pavement, dirt, grass or gravel and such, I reach down and turn it on. I find it nice to have if I want to smooth things out a bit and weight isn't a big concern for the kind of riding I do.

Geeze, I say it again, you "old" guys that do this long distance riding really impress me. My 15 mile (occasional 20) exercise rides, even if it is very hilly around here, pale in comparison. We live in the tri state area of Ohio, KY and Indiana (on the KY side). Nearby Ohio has an extensive Rails and Trails system which we often use for day rides. My wife briskly walks a lot (1 to 2 hours per day) but does very little fitness "stuff" on the bike. For exercise, I'm usually on my own with the bike. When we do Rails and Trails she prefers doing what I call a "smell the roses" pace (7 to 9 mpg). I'm OK with that because we're doing it for fun and to simply enjoy the scenery with exercise being more of a side benefit. 30 miles + or - is the usual for those.

E bikes could be in my future. Besides fun, one reason I got back into bikes was a right knee (arthroscopic surgery years ago) which is starting to give me problems. An orthopedic Dr. suggested that I exercise to build muscle in order to help support the knee and stave off knee replacement. I have good range of motion with it, don't limp but it does ache a bit but my drug of choice theses days, ibuprofen, settles that down. Anyway, I won't rule out an E bike when / if the time ever comes.
LesG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-18, 01:09 PM
  #2698  
DougG
Road Runner
 
DougG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 1,193

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2012 Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Originally Posted by LesG View Post
We live in the tri state area of Ohio, KY and Indiana (on the KY side). Nearby Ohio has an extensive Rails and Trails system which we often use for day rides. My wife briskly walks a lot (1 to 2 hours per day) but does very little fitness "stuff" on the bike. For exercise, I'm usually on my own with the bike. When we do Rails and Trails she prefers doing what I call a "smell the roses" pace (7 to 9 mpg). I'm OK with that because we're doing it for fun and to simply enjoy the scenery with exercise being more of a side benefit. 30 miles + or - is the usual for those.
I grew up in Cincinnati, so know the hills whereof you speak! I've never ridden in the area as an adult, but have done some other hilly areas of the state (Amish country in NE Ohio for example).
DougG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-18, 01:28 PM
  #2699  
badger1
Senior Member
 
badger1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 3,913
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Originally Posted by LesG View Post
I just joined this forum several days ago and then just realized this old guy section was here. A short introduction. I'm 69 yrs. Haven't been on a bike for around 25 years or so. Then I had so much fun with a rental bike on vacation (Grand Canyon) that I was sucked back into it. Got home from that and bought a bike (after a lot of research) late June early July of this year. So, after 25 years away, I feel something of a newbie to bikes.


Geeze, you guys are impressive with your 40 and 50 mile rides. At my age I thought I was doing pretty darn good with my 15 + miles 3 or 4 times a week around home with one 30 mile ride a few weeks ago on a nice flat Rails and Trails. In defense of my comparative lack lustre short rides, it is really hilly around my house... that's my excuse and that's the story I'm stickin' with.
You are
badger1 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-18, 09:52 PM
  #2700  
LesG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: N. Kentucky
Posts: 56

Bikes: Trek DS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Somewhere in the old guy forum or maybe it was the even older, old guy forum (65 - 85 of which I'm there) I said I'd post a couple of photos... I hope somebody starts a 85 to 100+ forum so I can feel a little bit younger. Since this is a Trek DS3 I did also posted these there after I had mentioned I would. Since I'm a newbie here I needed 10 posts before I was allowed attachments. Anyway the first one was taken in the back yard a month or so ago and the second one on one of my exercise / fitness rides a few days ago.





LesG is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service