Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 09:36 PM
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
An old friend of mine just emailed me a photo of us from the 1970s on a return ride home after a four day bicycle camping tour called DALMAC. The safety flags were one of the tour requirements and I still have two of them that I saved. I'm the little guy second from the right and my friend is the pretty girl to my right.

Oh, and BTW this is the bike I rode and I still have it:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Jackson_Janine.jpg (72.1 KB, 95 views)
IMGP0953.jpg (99.3 KB, 82 views)

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 02-17-14, 07:27 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
You know, they still do the DALMAC. I have never done it, but now I'm too old to want to put up with the hassles of tent camping for a week.

(For those who don't know, the DALMAC is a big ride in Michigan that goes from Lansing up to Mackinaw, with several different routes offered for different types of riders and daily mileages.)
Old 02-17-14, 08:26 AM
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by DougG
You know, they still do the DALMAC. I have never done it, but now I'm too old to want to put up with the hassles of tent camping for a week.
IIRC it is only 4 days riding with 3 nights camping, and then you return to Lansing via chartered busses. Still, I'm no longer interested in roughing it, and stay in motels now. BTW, do you know what "DALMAC" stands for ?

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 02-17-14, 09:41 AM
Road Runner

Dick Allen Lansing to MACkinaw. I think Dick Allen is/was a state legislator or some such who originally organized it. I've done the Michigander and Shoreline West, which are other premier Michigan tours, but definitely had enough of the camping. Especially at my age, the mandatory getting-up-to-pee at 2AM was no fun, stumbling over tent pegs in the dark trying to find the porta-john, and then if it was raining and I'd had a beer in the evening...

This summer I'm signing up for a week-long road tour in the U.P. where I've never ridden before, and one in northern Ohio. Both are with motels and otherwise catered.
Old 02-19-14, 09:00 AM
LerpwllWelsh

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2003. Bike Friday World Tourer. Trek 1.2Alpha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all. Very interesting about those Michigan rides - have to try one soon. I've been digitizing old photos: the B&W on the left is the only one I have found taken on one of my teenage rides, because it's the only time I ever rode with someone else: the kid holding the bikes is a school friend, and this is on a 100+mile ride in the Suffolk countryside, England, 1958 or '59. My bike is the "straight" handlebarred 3-speed BSA Light Tourer partially cut-off by the left edge of the photo. The photo was taken with my old 1920s Voigtlander bellows camera, which was hard to aim. The photo on the right is me on Sunday at Mile 8 of the Austin Marathon: final time was ~6:45:00. Now that that's over I can start riding the bike again to get ready for the summer.
Old 02-20-14, 02:40 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
John, can you repost or fix the attachments? I don't see the pics, just the attachment number.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 02-20-14, 09:26 PM
LerpwllWelsh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ron: I can see the photos by clicking on the attachment number. But here they are again - I always have trouble with attaching things correctly on Bike Forums - the photos disappeared when I edited my post.
Attached Images
1959q_Vandy_enh.jpg (99.7 KB, 69 views)
Old 02-21-14, 07:29 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Where's the big smile in the first photo?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 02-22-14, 04:20 PM

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Any 70+ riders finish century in under seven? Registered for Shiner G.A.S.P. 100 and having visions of sub seven - even with some 2,500 feet of climbing.
Old 02-23-14, 08:40 PM
LerpwllWelsh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RonH: that was the only time I ever took a friend - that's him. not me. It looks like it might have been a bit too much for him!
Old 02-23-14, 08:44 PM
LerpwllWelsh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ctpres: I live in Austin, 72 years old, and I might be able to do the ton in under 7 (I managed the MammaJamma 100 in that time a year ago, but missed the gate this year by a few minutes and had to settle for the 70-mile loop). Can't believe there's 2,500 feet of climbing down there in the coastal plain - all the centuries I have attempted have been up here in the Hill Country. But I suppose someone has measured it.

I'd be willing to give it a go - I'd need to do some training though.

John
Old 02-25-14, 08:52 AM
Veteran Racer

A bit off topic. Yesterday, I received my high school 50th reunion yearbook. Many of my classmates had submitted bios with current photos, although most including myself did not. Of course, some of the submissions were eulogies for those who had passed away. It made me pause a bit, thinking about my mortality, and realizing that most of my life is now behind me. I hope to make the most of my remaining time in this life.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 02-25-14, 04:22 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Did lotsa rides in Michigan/Ohio/Ontario in the mid-70s on our tandem.
TOSRV, the Canadian 200-MileEater, Pedal to the Pines, Hancock Hundred, GLEEP, Slow Spokes of Macomb centuries, etc.
Moved to Arizona in 1978 so we could ride year round . . . and still do at ages 81 and 78.
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Attached Images
picasabackground.jpg (56.8 KB, 52 views)
Picture0054.jpg (35.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 02-25-14, 06:29 PM
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by zonatandem

Did lotsa rides in Michigan/Ohio/Ontario in the mid-70s on our tandem.
TOSRV, the Canadian 200-MileEater, Pedal to the Pines, Hancock Hundred, GLEEP, Slow Spokes of Macomb centuries, etc.
Moved to Arizona in 1978 so we could ride year round . . . and still do at ages 81 and 78.
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Small world ! I've also done TOSRV 1/2 dozen times, as well as Canadian 200 ME, PP and HH, when I lived in Jackson Michigan in the 70s and 80s. I once rode stoker on a friend's tandem, and we did a flat century in Ohio, don't remember which one, nonstop in under 4 hours. Sadly, my friend passed away 4 years ago.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 02-25-14, 08:28 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ctpres
Any 70+ riders finish century in under seven? Registered for Shiner G.A.S.P. 100 and having visions of sub seven - even with some 2,500 feet of climbing.
I'm 68-1/2. I can do a 100K with 3000'+ of climbing at about 15 mph so I'd have a good shot at a 7 hour flatish century (2500' around here would be a really flat century), but I don't know if my butt could handle it. I'm going to try a century in April with 6000' of climbing, but I won't make 7 hours: Did part of that Century last November (70 miles, 5300') and only averaged 12.2 mph.
Old 02-26-14, 09:58 AM
Road Runner

I've never done a century and am not sure I ever will. The one time I started out with that intention on a large multi-distance event, I gave it up and finished on the 100K route instead. The biggest problem was the monotony of riding solo for as many hours as it was going to take to do it. It had just stopped being fun, and that's the main point of riding for me.

The one possibility I have is an event where I would know a number of people and could ride in a group. The event is the Big Bear 100 that starts in Grayling, MI and goes one-way to Oscoda. It actually follows along the Au Sable River on the day when they are also running a world-famous canoe race. The canoes start down the river the night before and it's a goal to get to the end before the first canoes get there.
Old 02-26-14, 11:03 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only been riding 3 years ( 68 in june) and still look forward to a possible 7 hour century. There would have to be a lot of riders around to help keep me motivated to do that pace.

What are some of the big ones anyway?
Old 02-26-14, 01:09 PM

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
I am curious how 70+ riders out there train. At racing age 72 and trying to return to competitive riding after a multi-level back fusion, Pulmonary Embolisms and DVT's I generally will only ride with others whose riding quality I know due to continuing blood thinner use. These people only ride on weekends as they are aged 55 -60 and still must work. Recently I started to use Strava (premium) as I can compare times on riding segments with others 65+. Strava is a real motivator and I can ride TT segments and see my times decrease. It also motivates weight loss as my hill segment times are coming down with weight loss. Was at 230 lb. during rehab and down to 197 partially due to motivation from Strava to post competitive times on hilly segments. Unfortunately a TT I used to win at 60+ is now taking 37 minutes as opposed to about 31 in the past. Also, my muscle mass has unfortunately dropped and working out on weight machines doesn't increase strength like it used to. On the plus side I expect 16% body fat will put me at around 180 lb. as opposed to 190 lb. in the past. Orange County has around 200 65+ riders on Strava so you can gage yourself relative to many riders. Has Strava helped any of you gain fitness/ lose weight. It is working for me!
Old 02-28-14, 04:41 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBerry
ctpres:
I'd be willing to give it a go - I'd need to do some training though.John
GASP actually starts in Austin. Sure would be nice to have "age appropriate" buddy on the ride. If I can get at least five riders my company will design and supply jerseys and maybe even t shirts for our roadside fans.
Old 02-28-14, 09:28 AM
LerpwllWelsh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's do it: you can reach me offgroup at JLBAssoc@Gmail.com
Old 03-03-14, 09:05 PM

Location: Currently living in Oakdale, CA about 20 mi. NE of Modesto in the hot central valley.

Bikes: Surly LHTD with a YAK trailer. I may have to ditch the trailer and go to panniers but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 72 yrs. old/young (whatever!) and located in California's central valley near Modesto. In the spring of '15 I plan to retire and get on the road with my Surly LHTD and BOB YAK trailer plus my little dog. Right now it's a strain to finish 5 miles but my legs are already feeling stronger after only a few rides and as the weather warms up there'll be a lot more opportunities to train. If things go right I'll be strong enough to pretty much stay on the road indefinitely. Preliminary plans call for a ride starting in Grant's Pass, Oregon, down Hiway 199 to Crescent City and then up the coast to Seattle. THEN, the plan is to head cross country to Miami, FL. Yeah, I know that's a BIG chunk for a guy just starting out. However, the thought process is that by taking small bites at first, and then adding the miles as my endurance builds, I'll be able to do it by virtue of bull dogged determination. Proper diet and frequent rest periods are a part of the plan. Feedback please.

Update: 3-23-14, I'm up to 15 miles/day.

Last edited by Louis Le Tour; 03-23-14 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-05-14, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ctpres
I'm just a "kid"-68. Looks like an interesting ride. Are you sure it is only 2.500 feet of elevation gain? That is really flat. If I ride it I'll ride my fixed gear bike. I did the Piney Woods Purgatory this past October on the fixed gear and it was around 4,500 feet of climbing in 102 miles.
Mike
Old 03-05-14, 05:00 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bowzette
I'm just a "kid"-68. Looks like an interesting ride. Are you sure it is only 2.500 feet of elevation gain? That is really flat. If I ride it I'll ride my fixed gear bike. I did the Piney Woods Purgatory this past October on the fixed gear and it was around 4,500 feet of climbing in 102 miles.
Mike
Elevation from strava ride history - same event - last year I think. I will know more May 4th.
Old 03-10-14, 09:27 PM

Bikes: Ancient Conglomeration, new one being built

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please be VERY careful on 199. I drive it frequently. There are many areas along the Smith River where there is NO shoulder, and no where to even step off. You are against a rock cliff. In these places there isn't any room for the drivers to give way, especially when meeting an 18 wheeler. All that said, this is the area I grew up in, and to my mind it is the most beautiful place on earth going from river side vistas to Redwood forests in the blink of an eye, ending at the Pacific Ocean beach. Also be prepared for the 20 degree temperature drop as you exit the forest and drop down to ocean level. Have fun
Old 03-11-14, 04:29 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bowzette
Mike
Two forum members already signed up. Join us - just need three more members to get free custom jerseys. Here is Strava history of many riders.
Strava | Activity Search
GASP actually stands for Greater Austin Shiner Pedal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.