Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is it mostly the "Faffing?"

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Is it mostly the "Faffing?"

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-08, 08:39 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
I had no idea that there is such a word as fora. I'm always learning something new around here.

https://www.bartleby.com/61/17/F0241700.html
Yes! Fora is* a cool word. Maybe I'll say that every day next.
Old 06-17-08, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh... so that's what it means.
Who knew our own DnvrFox was the shizzle?
Old 06-17-08, 08:43 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
ILTB - I think you have made it REAL clear for several years now.

You do NOT like Cutesie, you do NOT like the 50+ forum, you do personally not like a number of us (as you have expressed to me in PM's some time back).

OK, I undersatnd all of that.

Then, my question to you is,

"Why in the world do you keep participating in and posting in the 50+ forum, when you KNOW what it is like, and you do NOT like it?"

Do you enjoy beating your head against the wall?

Do you think somehow that you will change the characteristics of the 50+ forum?

Not a chance.
So what was the point of your OP "question" about "Faffing"? You obviously feel that there is only one approved answer/opinion -your own and those who think just like you. No wonder there is so much fluff/faff on this list, to disagree with the Kool Kids is soooo unhip; totally!
Old 06-17-08, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
heh heh....

If you ever find yourself over this way, ILTB, look me up. I'll take you up to my lakeside retreat. It's a different kind of 'fishing for bites' happens up there, but I kinda have a suspicion you'd be good at that'n too
Old 06-17-08, 08:56 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
So what was the point of your OP "question" about "Faffing"? You obviously feel that there is only one approved answer/opinion -your own and those who think just like you. No wonder there is so much fluff/faff on this list, to disagree with the Kool Kids is soooo unhip; totally!
I don't know. I think you kinda like making people think, and we're happy because you take us new places and help keep the currents moving. You are an asset here!

I know you made me think. I thought back to my high school days and tried to remember if anyone begrudged my group of friends as a clique. I didn't know. And then I realized that although we were all very nice people, and I thought we were very inclusive to anyone who wanted to hang out with us, the truth was that there were some people who didn't stick around because... well, it was just not a good fit for anyone. We didn't think badly of them, and I'm not sure if they did of us... they just found people they bonded with better. I don't remember any* group in high school that wasn't glad to talk to you if you made any kind of effort to to interact. You may not chose to hang out together, but you still smiled at each other and stopped to talk when you saw them outside of school.

But you did help me realize something I hadn't thought about before. If there were* people who thought we were a clique, they were probably people I didn't even know. I have had people remember me and I didn't remember them, so it was very possible that I behaved badly...by just being oblivious.

And maybe I still do that now? I know that with all the people who come and go, I tend to not notice new people right away anymore until they've posted a few times or announced that they were new. I know when I came here last year it was really a nice feeling to be told "Welcome", and to be asked about stuff.

So, I will try not to be so oblivious anymore. Thankyou, I-Like-To-Bike.

But I still think that it would be fun to get your shoes off and eat pie. Maybe cut us a bit of slack? Life is short, you know.

Last edited by solveg; 06-17-08 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-17-08, 08:58 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j
After a day at the office, a ride and a little feckless meandering in these environs are cathartic.
+1000

But it's good to do a little faffing at work, too It keeps my hands busy and prevents me from wrapping them around someone's neck.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-17-08, 09:06 PM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by solveg
[SNIP]
But you did help me realize something I hadn't thought about before. If there were* people who thought they were a clique, they were probably people I didn't even know. I have had people remember me and I didn't remember them, so it was very possible that I behaved badly...by just being oblivious.

And maybe I still do that now? I know that with all the people who come and go, I tend to not notice new people right away anymore until they've posted a few times or announced that they were new. I know when I came here last year it was really a nice feeling to be told "Welcome", and to be asked about stuff.

So, I will try not to be so oblivious anymore. Thankyou, I-Like-To-Bike.

But I still think that it would be fun to get your shoes off and eat pie. Maybe cut us a bit of slack? Life is short, you know.
And thank you Solveg for a thoughtful reply.
Old 06-17-08, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
ILTB, the humor and good natured kidding is one of the main reasons I come here. If every 50+er was a Mr. Spock character I wouldn't have hung around. Laughing, telling jokes and just plain tomfoolery are a very large part of who I am. I think the shrinks would call that my inner child.

You can't expect people to change their personality to please you. If you think horseplay is wrong or bad...I truly feel sorry for you, you're missing a huge chunk of life, my friend.
Old 06-17-08, 09:35 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Louis
If every 50+er was a Mr. Spock character I wouldn't have hung around.
Nowhere am I so desperately needed as among a shipload of illogical humans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
spock.jpg (35.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 06-17-08, 09:38 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nowhere am I so desperately needed as among a shipload of illogical humans.
Sulu quote from Star Trek Voyager:
"Vulcans have a sense of humor, I know firsthand!"
Old 06-17-08, 10:01 PM

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had no idea that there is such a word as fora. I'm always learning something new around here.
A tribute to the 50+ forum. Where else can you find a more absurd thread title that cries out for faffing, and still find something to learn...

Along those same lines, TWL has diagnosed the 50+ forum with 'witzelsucht' which refers to a mental condition characterized by frequent bad jokes, inane humor, and pointless stories in which the poster is thoroughly amused at himself. The cause of this medical condition has been attributed to frontal lobe lesions in the brain.
I can't help it. Stop attacking me for my medical condition.
Old 06-17-08, 10:47 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That's what makes this List what it is - A happy home for self proclaimed "friendly" folks who like to make pretend they are still in Junior High; Hey the Gang even got one mod to join the club and play along, swell!

Very cute indeed.
You make me wish we had a "tongue-in-cheek" emoticon.

I'm happy, I'm among virtual friends, I think young. That's a crime?

I still don't get your point, and I'm sorry you're so unamused. This is Foo, Faff, BS, good-natured ribbing, whatEVer, and I don't see the harm in that.
Old 06-17-08, 11:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
This thread is the perfect example of what tends to put me off of this forum.
Au contraire... this is exactly what makes this seem like a group of -very disparate- friends just hanging out and sharing a common interest.
I think of some of the conversations I have with old, close friends... why you would evidently just blanch at the nonsense -the sophomoric drivel- that comes out of our mouths.
I like these guys -juvenile as we may be sometimes- just fine as they are.
I like pie, too... and I think it's a fine tradition to uphold.
I'm never gonna be a Cat 1 racer boy like the Road Forum crowd wishes they were so I ride to earn my pleasure. If that's pie, so be it.
Old 06-18-08, 04:16 AM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Red Rider
I'm happy, I'm among virtual friends, I think young. That's a crime?

I still don't get your point, and I'm sorry you're so unamused. This is Foo, Faff, BS, good-natured ribbing, whatEVer, and I don't see the harm in that.
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
Au contraire... this is exactly what makes this seem like a group of -very disparate- friends just hanging out and sharing a common interest.
I think of some of the conversations I have with old, close friends... why you would evidently just blanch at the nonsense -the sophomoric drivel- that comes out of our mouths.
I like these guys -juvenile as we may be sometimes- just fine as they are.
I like pie, too... and I think it's a fine tradition to uphold.
Yes it is what it is and you have described it well. The preferred tone is juvenile Fooish, and sophomoric drivel, endlessly repeated by a handful of friends who think they are just the Cat's Meow in Friendliness. You fellows have claimed ownership of this playground and what it is, and have decreed that is what it should forever be because the group of self appointed "friends" with a "common interest" like it that way. Enjoy yourselves, just don't be so juvenile when praise isn't heaped upon the group for their silliness.
Old 06-18-08, 04:49 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Yes it is what it is and you have described it well. The preferred tone is juvenile Fooish, and sophomoric drivel, endlessly repeated by a handful of friends who think they are just the Cat's Meow in Friendliness.

Enjoy yourselves, just don't be so juvenile when praise isn't heaped upon the group for their silliness.
I'm thinking that you enjoy it more than you want to admit.

This thread never pretended to be about anything but juvenile Fooish, sophmoric drivel endlessly repeated by a handful of friends who think they are just the Cat's Meow in Friendliness and yet you chose to open it and to participate in it on six separate occassions. It's obvious to me that you're feeling some kind of benefit from participating.

I think that's cool. Enjoy yourself. Just don't be so juvenile when praise isn't heaped upon you for your sillyness.
Old 06-18-08, 05:19 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I'm thinking that you enjoy it more than you want to admit.

This thread never pretended to be about anything but juvenile Fooish, sophmoric drivel endlessly repeated by a handful of friends who think they are just the Cat's Meow in Friendliness and yet you chose to open it and to participate in it on six separate occassions. It's obvious to me that you're feeling some kind of benefit from participating.

I think that's cool. Enjoy yourself. Just don't be so juvenile when praise isn't heaped upon you for your sillyness.
Could it possibly be that I-L-T-B is err . . . (Oh Dear Lord) . . . FAFFING?

Is I-L-T-B a secret faffer?
Old 06-18-08, 05:53 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
OK, now you've done it!! Way back, there was an old song (maybe Van Morrison?) that had in it:
fa-fafa-fafa-fa, and now I can't remember the name (this is the 50+ forum, right). Can someone PLEASE help with the name of that song!!
Old 06-18-08, 06:12 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think 50+ is any different than any of the other sections. All of them have cliques of people who enjoy the banter of a specific group. It the same in P&R, A&S, Foo, Road cycling etc. If you fit in, like the banter, you hang around and become one of the group. If you don't enjoy it, you watch a bit from the outside. That is what forums are all about but with that said it can be difficult for outsiders to feel welcome as they can get ignored or overwhelmed by the clique.

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-18-08, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by freeranger
OK, now you've done it!! Way back, there was an old song (maybe Van Morrison?) that had in it:
fa-fafa-fafa-fa, and now I can't remember the name (this is the 50+ forum, right). Can someone PLEASE help with the name of that song!!
How about "The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down"? That'd be by The Band (Joan Baez did a version too).
Old 06-18-08, 08:08 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
You may be thinking of "Sad Song" by Otis Redding, 1968: Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa, etc.
Old 06-19-08, 06:56 AM
Been Around Awhile

It was: Do you remember when we used to sing
Sha la la la la la la la la la la te da.

I still have my scratched up 45 record of it. It was Brown Eyed Girl 1967 by Van Morrison, one of my brown eyed girl friend's and my favorite songs of 1967 and 1968:

Hey where did we go,
Days when the rains came
Down in the hollow,
Playin' a new game,
Laughing and a running hey, hey
Skipping and a jumping
In the misty morning fog with
Our hearts a thumpin' and you
My brown eyed girl,
You my brown eyed girl.

Whatever happened
To Tuesday and so slow
Going down the old mine
With a transistor radio
Standing in the sunlight laughing,
Hiding behind a rainbow's wall,
Slipping and sliding
All along the water fall, with you
My brown eyed girl,
You my brown eyed girl.

Do you remember when we used to sing,
Sha la la la la la la la la la la te da

So hard to find my way,
Now that I'm all on my own.
I saw you just the other day,
My how you have grown,
Cast my memory back there, Lord
Sometime I'm overcome thinking 'bout
Making love in the green grass
Behind the stadium with you
My brown eyed girl
You my brown eyed girl

Do you remember when we used to sing
Old 06-19-08, 07:01 AM

Sha la la la la la la la la la la te da. It was Brown Eyed Girl 1967 by Van Morrison, one of my brown eyed girl friend's and my favorite songs of 1967 and 1968:
That was one of my favorites too. In fact, that was the "daddy dance" when my youngest daughter got married.
Old 06-19-08, 07:52 AM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Do you remember when we used to sing
Congratulations! You've officially faffed.

See? That wasn't so bad, was it?
Old 06-19-08, 08:01 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm glad you figured it out. All that was in my head was ch-ch-ch-changes.
Old 06-19-08, 09:46 AM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by solveg

I'm glad you figured it out. All that was in my head was ch-ch-ch-changes.
Now you are thinking about David Bowie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.