Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Good Morning, 50+ers!! What are your plans today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Good Morning, 50+ers!! What are your plans today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-08, 02:01 PM
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Tomorrow to Orcas Island.
Would that be the Orbea bike shop? No? Oh.. sorry.
Old 07-20-08, 03:15 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
I missed this on Saturday but I'll still report. Went out with a buddy and some dogs for a few hours - started at daylight to avoid the heat. We didn't get anything but soaked to the waist from the extremely heavy dew. Then I went home, made about half a round with the estupid lawnmower before I hit a rock and broke it for the second time this month, became lawnmower repair man for an hour or so, and then helped Lovey with a little painting project.

This morning I got up and did a nice 25 mile out and back. It was a beautiful day - felt like I was flying, did the out leg in my best time ever, drank a gatorade in the shade standing on the Finley river bridge watching fish play below. Then rode towards home at a more reasonable pace. Had cramps, drank another gatorade and some peanut butter crackers, stretched the cramps out and then finished the ride.

Summertime, and the living is easy.
Looks like you had the perfect day........
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 07-20-08 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-20-08, 03:26 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My plans are to take a steady relaxing day in the garden- after I have done 50 miles - watched the TDF- and had Lunch.

Only 20 miles but for a reason- Fell asleep before the end of the race and lunch was postponed so get your own (Wife was in the pool)

And the gardening was hard work.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-20-08, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Slept all day as I worked last night, working again tonight....and it's supposedly been
my weekend since Friday morning . Too tired to ride any as I've been switching
back and forth between day life and night life too often in too short a
period of time. I'll get out at six am. Monday and be back for my regular
start of the week on Tuesday at 5 am. Uuuuuugh.

Somebody go out and take a nice ride for me, please.
Old 07-20-08, 04:40 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
After racing yesterday, we feel pretty good after today's ride to the coast which was 54.4 miles, 4782 feet of climbing and 16.9 average speed. When we started it was cool and misty. We were dressed in base layer, jersey, arm and leg warmers and thermal vest / jacket in July. We ditched the heavy stuff for the 5 mile climb which was very nice. Prior to descending, we put on the thermal gear for the ride to the coast which was cold, foggy and windy - 52 degrees wind 15 to 20 mph. We had a fast rotating pace line to the coast and back to the foot of Skyline. We ground up the climb and the weather at the top was beautiful. We stripped down for the descent down the other side and it felt nice to have the sun and warm temperatures again. Here is a snapshot from our Garmin.

Old 07-20-08, 05:00 PM
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Hermes,

OOC, how do you figure your feet of climbing? Are you using the numbers from GTC, Motion Based, the Garmin unit itself? I don't recognize your graphs, so perhaps you use Ascent?

I get significant differences between GTC and MB (MB is always higher). I can adjust SportTracks to report numbers very close to either of the above, depending on how I adjust the climb parameters and whether or not I use data smoothing. (Edge 305 with HR and CAD).

For example: on my metric yesterday, GTC showed 2928 ft of ascent while MB showed 3990 ft. I don't know which is more accurate (if either).

Just curious...
Old 07-20-08, 05:36 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by speedlever
Hermes,

OOC, how do you figure your feet of climbing?
The pic is a screen shot from Ascent. Ascent does some smoothing and correction. The Garmin Training Center software calculated 7900 feet. It is difficult to get accurate GPS data in the mountains. Three or four satellites are required for accurate measurement of elevation and grade calculations. You can see from the graphs that the two climbs are not mirror images of each other and they should have been since it was an out and back route. However, I like Ascent and it seems to give fairly repeatable results.
Old 07-20-08, 05:42 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Back from my ride -- had an odd thing happen. I was riding down a highway through some the woods and suddenly a car that was passing me slammed on its brakes -- turns out there was a VERY large deer bounding down the road. I expected the deer to then disappear into the underbrush but instead it moves over to the shoulder and then just keeps trotting down the road in front of me. It had plenty of chance to turn in...but it kept running down the shoulder.

I followed it for about a third of a mile (it was moving at 17 mph, according to my speedo), and I started yelling at it, hoping it would run off into the woods and get off the highway. But it kept moving down the pavement. Finally we came to a driveway for some road facility, it slows down, and starts to walk off the road.
Old 07-20-08, 06:26 PM
Hills!

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
The pic is a screen shot from Ascent. Ascent does some smoothing and correction. The Garmin Training Center software calculated 7900 feet. It is difficult to get accurate GPS data in the mountains. Three or four satellites are required for accurate measurement of elevation and grade calculations. You can see from the graphs that the two climbs are not mirror images of each other and they should have been since it was an out and back route. However, I like Ascent and it seems to give fairly repeatable results.
Wow. GTC was higher than Ascent. Did you upload to MB just for the heck of it? Wonder what it would have shown.
Old 07-20-08, 06:29 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Classic (Campy), Trek 930, Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
24 mile ride this morning. It was too hot and humid to do more, at least for me. Family lunch, then out to catch Hellboy II. Man, Guillermo del Toro has totally taken things over!

Joel
Old 07-20-08, 06:43 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Does no one go to church on Sunday morning?
Old 07-20-08, 06:49 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
Generally, I and the wife, do.

But, choir practice is at 9:00 am.

Leave at 8:45

Get dressed at 8:15

Fix and eat bkfst at 7:45

BICYCLE FROM 5:30 - 7:30.
Old 07-20-08, 07:09 PM
Homey

This was on our walk today. My Lab/Coyote was laughing at the sign.

Heehee! Actually, I took the leash off to take this pic. But good thing I really did have her on a leash. Because this is what crossed in front of us. A wild coyote!!

Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 07-20-08, 08:04 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, we rode 13 miles this afternoon, not quite the ride I had hoped for today. I felt hot, my legs felt tired, and the headwind was very annoying. I guess it just wasn't my best day for a ride.
Old 07-20-08, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The rain is coming in through the door horizontal on a really cold wind here. I'ma go jump in the truck sometime soon and go visit the Video shop!
Old 07-20-08, 08:47 PM
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Can't speak for any of the others here, but I'm not Christian. Or Jewish. Or Buddhist. Or any other belief system that meets in a purpose-built building.

A hair over two miles on the treadmill this morning, then a 25+ mile bike ride from Liberty Park down SGRT to the Coyote Creek Trail, then up the CCT until I got to Del Amo and didn't see how that trail could go as far as Duarte (not that I had any intention of riding to Duarte today, but still!), turned around and rode back down to the bridge, then back up SGRT into El Dorado Regional. Cruised around Areas II and III at El Dorado, then back onto SGRT to Rynerson, where I rode around that park, then back to SGRT to Liberty. Then I went over to the Y and used the Cybex (strength-training) machines there. When I got home, I finished my blog entry for the week's accomplishments and had some supper.
Old 07-20-08, 10:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not quite much by hermes yardstick but yesterday I did a fun little 33+ mile double loop of town.
About 5-6 miles north-south and 3 miles west-east from the water into the valley.
Just enough elevation change to keep it interesting.
The yellow dot at around mile 23 is a sport I've always been afraid to ride but yesterday I decided, "Ah, why not try?" No big deal really.

Then I came home and flipped my Giant.
Today I fixed a slow leak I guess I picked up yesterday and removed my gigundo dork disk at last.
Old 07-21-08, 12:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saturday I did a really great 25-30 mile loop in Brooklyn NY, down to Coney Island and back. We have 2 MUPs, one down the center of the borough and the other one along the coast under the Verrazzano Narrows bridge (where the NYC Marathon starts). This was my first try at the Verrazzano route, and what a ride!

Great day, Coney Island was mobbed so I didn't stay long, but lingered a bit in Brighton Beach (Russian neighborhood) before returning home on the other MUP. There was street-riding too of course, but the Verr. MUP was the point of the ride.
Old 07-21-08, 04:29 PM
Homey

Well this morning started out with a crash. And elderly relative of mine has a huge tree of which two branches decided they were done. Huge branches 1 1/2 times the length of my truck came down onto the sidewalk/street/front yard. Thankfully, nobody got hurt or no damage was done to the house.

Got out the chainsaw and went to work.
Old 07-21-08, 04:58 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since this was posted yesterday here's what I did Sunday - I was a docent on a mountain bike ride through Limestone Canyon with 8 beginner and advanced beginner riders. We had absolutely perfect weather. The ride started at 8:30 am and it was cool and overcast (thank you Lord!) and it remained so until the ride finished. The day stayed nice and after the ride the other docents and I did lunch at our favorite restaurant out on the patio. Got home around 2:00. Finished the day working in the garden. Came in around 6. Showered, laid on the couch and watched "Ninja Warrior" on G4 and fell asleep.

Ahhhh the perfect day!

PS: I do church Saturday night. Perfect for bike riders!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 07-21-08, 09:14 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Siu, thanks for asking this question!

Yesterday (sunday) I went out riding. I've been organizing (with Old Fat Guy) an Ann Arbor Vintage (vintage bike or vintage rider) ride, which took place yesterday morning. Basically I did the emailing and he did the work. There's a now-lengthy thread "Attention SE Michigan Vintagists!" in C&V, full of banter, questions and no pictures (the last post explains the photography issue!). A GREAT ride over glacial rolling hills in the center of SE Michigan, 30 miles from Ann Arbor. Seven riders: from BF, some CR folks and some friends. A Mondonico, a Cinelli, a modern DeRosa, an Austro-Daimler, two Colnagos, and a Raleigh Pro.

About 2.5 hours, 45 miles/19+ mph average for the fast crowd, 39 miles / 15.2 mph for the slow crowd (me and another). It's still my highest average speed over that distance, even though I got dropped more times than I can count! I need to change my name to Road Kill, not Road Fan.

This looked easy on MapMyRide, but the endless series of moderate hills came in fast succession. The speed was such that my HR soared on every climb, then the descents were not long enough to allow any significant recovery, so a high average level and HR. Still, fantastic scenery, great companions, a wonderful bike, and fine weather - what could be better? Then Cliff bars, beer and brats, with lots of real hydration, afterwards. I guess we're not sold on pie.

I think this needs to be one of my more regular routes, and the event needs to be held again next year. We'd love to have some 50+ ers join in next year.

Road Fan

Last edited by Road Fan; 07-21-08 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-21-08, 09:19 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
BCIPam, is your avatar a quilt of bike shorts and a sleeveless jersey?

Road Fan