Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The Fixed Gear Generation

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The Fixed Gear Generation

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-08, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My gears are not broken, thus they do not need to be fixed. Are you guys hard on bikes or what?
Old 08-20-08, 06:57 PM
Chi-Chi Monger

Bikes: 08 Cannondale Synapse, 09 Marin Alpine Trail 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
To non-fixie riders: Yes, I was skeptical too, until I tried it. Yes, there is a learning curve. This varies from person to person, but most riders should be able to pick it up within a few rides. You will be hooked, believe me. It really does clear your mind.
I prefer my mind cluttered and confused...but not about where the heck my brakes are and WTF just happened
Old 08-20-08, 07:56 PM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 339 Posts
To non-fixie riders: Yes, I was skeptical too, until I tried it. Yes, there is a learning curve. This varies from person to person, but most riders should be able to pick it up within a few rides. You will be hooked, believe me. It really does clear your mind.
I rode a fixie to supplement my training for a few years in the 70s. I had this miserable Paris Sport "training bike" that was brazed so crooked that I had to dish the wheels to make it roll straight. Still, I could stop at Serio's and ride home with a sack of groceries in one arm and my feet in the toeclips. I'm using Look Delta-style pedals now, of course, but I'll go back to toeclips and track pedals if I can find traditional shoes and cleats that fit me.

Riding a fixie is refreshing. On a 72-inch gear, I grunt up the hills, spin my legs out going down, and the momentum of the back wheel pushes my feet over against headwinds and small hills. With such a small gear I can't hammer, but the spinning effect is great for burning calories, honing my technique, and recovering my morale.
Old 08-20-08, 10:38 PM
is as Gurgus does.

Bikes: A whole bunch o' bikes.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding fixed for a couple of years now. It really is a fun way to ride a bike. I think that it got me back into cycling at a point where my interest was beginning to wane. Both my fixed gears have two brakes and resonable gear ratios. Try it, if you like bikes at all, I bet you'll end up with one in the not-too-distant future.
Old 08-22-08, 12:25 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rraabfaber
Says author Douglas Haddrow, "This obsession with “street-cred” reaches its apex of absurdity as hipsters have recently and wholeheartedly adopted the fixed-gear bike as the only acceptable form of transportation – only to have brakes installed on a piece of machinery that is defined by its lack thereof."
Mr. Haddrow displays an abysmal ignorance of fixed gears. A fixie is not defined by its lack of brakes; it is defined by its lack of gears and freewheel. I use both brakes on my Benotto track bike adapted for road.

A fixed gear bike is merely the ultimate in retro and elegance. At one time, all bikes had fixed gears, and the track bike represents the ultimate in simplicity and function. There are no wasteful parts; everything on the bike is essential and is in use when the bike is moving. You cannot remove anything and expect the bike to perform. On a standard road bike, you can remove nine cogs, a chainring, both derailleurs and you can still ride.

I'm surprised Mr. Haddrow should write such a thing in Adbusters. The fixed gear bike is anathema to the notion of bicycle consumerism. In the space of about 30 years, various corporations, mostly Japanese, have cleverly created a huge market for bicycle components, gradually bringing us from five cogs to six, to six in the space of five, then seven in the space of six, then click-shifting, then eight with shifters in the brake levers, then nine, then ten cogs. Every year, new things to buy, usually requiring the additional purchase of the rest of the "system." After a while, you get used to buying new components every year.

Back when I first started cycling, you just bought a bike with all Campag components, and you didn't need to upgrade it for a few years. Now it's new upgrades, or new bikes each year.

The alternative is the fixed gear bike. Eleven speed cassettes? Who cares, I'm not buying one. Yes, I believe in continuous improvement, so as good deals come available, I'll upgrade the bike. But I'm not buying into the Shimano-Campag-SRAM arms race. My steel-frame fixed gear Benotto has all-carbon forks and a carbon seatpost. Eventually it will have a 31.8 stem and then carbon bars. And maybe lighter wheels.

Anyway, here are some other advantages of a fixed gear bike:
- lighter (not carrying derailleus and exta chain and cogs)
- less stuff to get wrecked riding in rain and snow
- makes you a smoother rider
- gives you an excuse when you get dropped
- makes you stronger going up hills
- makes you more relaxed going down hills
- cheaper to operate - 1/8" chains are very cheap and readily available
- two fewer cables
- don't need to straighten the derailleur hanger after retrieving the bike from the airline
- can feel when the rear wheel is locked up riding on ice
- shows you are a real hard-core cyclist (much better than having a fancy expensive bike)
- also shows you are a real old-timer
The last two points reveal some visceral emotions. I think most people buy really expensive bikes to try to prove "something" to others. The problem is, it doesn't work. Most people regard guys with new, fancy, expensive bikes as posers, unless they happen to be well-known Cat 2 or higher racers, in which case it is quite aceptable (they probably got the bike free from the sponsor anyway). What's curious is that what does impress other cyclists is riding a fixed gear bike. Novices and posers do not ride fixed gear bikes (well, until recently anyway). It really is cool to ride a fixed gear, because it's kind of an elitist thing. It's not for everybody, only those with the skill and confidence to do so.

- L.
Old 08-25-08, 09:42 PM
King of Dorkistan

Bikes: K2 "Big Easy Deuce" 21s MTB/Cruiser hybrid. Huffy "Belfort" SS rat bike (Kept in truck bed for emergencies.)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
I guess I'm not hipster enough.... what's PBR?

Oh, never mind. I just realized as I typed the PBR part. Pabst Blue Ribbon, right? More typical dishwater American beer suitable only for watering our hardy Canadian plants and washing our snowmobiles
We visited some friends up in Trinidad, CO a few weeks ago. They own a little microbrewery. When we were doing a tasting at their bar, I noticed a PBR tap and asked about it. Brian told us that it was an homage to the last national American owned brewery. Yup. PBR is it, with Anheuser-Busch having sold to the Brazilian/South Africans in June.

Oh, and everyone's favorite watery swill, Coors Light? It's owned by Labatt's. So, I guess technically, that would make it Canadian beer, eh?
Old 08-25-08, 09:50 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1394 Post(s)
Liked 1,335 Times in 841 Posts
Alas, you speak of one of the most rare things on this planet. With the upswing in Fixed gear riding, I'll take a bet that if Sturmey-Archer or SRAM were to make one today, with modern engineering and manufacturing technology, it would be a good seller. ...
S-A reportedly is developing a new ASC. Some of the purists didn't like its gear lash, but I do not see how one can build a 3-speed fixed gear without some play. A close-ratio 5-speed fixed would be really cool.

When I asked Jim "CyclArt" Cunningham about his experience riding an ASC hub, he noted that "it shifts you." The ASC was marketed to World War II amputees during the late 1940s and into the early 1950s, then faded into oblivion. It may well be an idea whose time has again arrived.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-26-08, 06:30 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Civilization has ended so many times in my life that it no longer comes as a shock to me.

I just take it with a pillar of salt.
Old 08-26-08, 07:54 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
You have to remember that there's a surplus of freelance writers relative to the supply of subjects that require no technical expertise. This leads to flogging of dead horses and mountains out of molehills. At my age I've come to regard most scenes and their participants, the scenesters, as somewhat silly, but not nearly ridiculous as the writers who try to ridicule them.

Scenes are just signs of groups of people trying to create a meaningful existence for themselves, something we've all been guilty of at some time or another.

As a certified old fart, I relish raising a can of PBR with the hipsters who compliment my 45-year-old Frejus track bike with a single brake on the front wheel.
+1, again.

This 'scene' does not appear that different from all that came before it.
Old 08-26-08, 09:38 PM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by rraabfaber
Yup. PBR is it, with Anheuser-Busch having sold to the Brazilian/South Africans in June.
The Pabst family was a pretty remarkable clan. After establishing their brewery, they established one of the early ski areas in Vermont, Big Bromley, so they could sell more Blue Ribbon at the lodge apres-ski. Well, actually, they just liked to combine their business with pleasure.

And Anheuser-Busch was sold to a Belgian corporation.
Old 08-26-08, 10:39 PM

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Surly Pacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And Anheuser-Busch was sold to a Belgian corporation.
True. But fear not, Miller is owned by South Africans.
Old 08-28-08, 07:41 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding a fixie is refreshing. On a 72-inch gear, I grunt up the hills, spin my legs out going down, and the momentum of the back wheel pushes my feet over against headwinds and small hills. With such a small gear I can't hammer, but the spinning effect is great for burning calories, honing my technique, and recovering my morale.
+1 on all of the above. I think the momentum even helps on moderate hills ("moderate" by the standards of this flatlander, anyway). Taking the same hill on my fixed vs. geared bike I think the lack of that dead spot at the bottom of the stroke makes for less fatigue with the fixie.
Old 08-29-08, 08:54 AM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
S-A reportedly is developing a new ASC. Some of the purists didn't like its gear lash, but I do not see how one can build a 3-speed fixed gear without some play. A close-ratio 5-speed fixed would be really cool.

When I asked Jim "CyclArt" Cunningham about his experience riding an ASC hub, he noted that "it shifts you." The ASC was marketed to World War II amputees during the late 1940s and into the early 1950s, then faded into oblivion. It may well be an idea whose time has again arrived.
Awesome! My local shop is Harris Cyclery. They will probably be among the first to carry it, if it is in fact, on the way. I'd say that given the renewed interest in fixed gear riding, the time has definitely come again.

It will be interesting to see a new ASC hub, built with aforementioned modern engineering and manufacturing technology.
Old 08-29-08, 09:24 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Technium(SS), Jamis Diablo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 25 and began riding fixed gear a few weeks back. I would not classify myself as "hipster" by any means. I began riding fixed-gear because of the simplicity of building such a bicycle. I wanted to get into the mechanics of bike-building, and guess whose site I found first???? Sheldon Brown's wonderful site, he is the one who made me think about fixed-gear bicycles. Someone should link the article's author Sheldon's site, maybe then he will be able to write a better article.

I drink PBR only because it's cheap, when I have a fat wallet....BELL'S or some local brewed wheat
Old 09-07-08, 02:36 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Someone pointed me to this item on Sheldon Brown's site. This concerns the rumor that Sturmey Archer may be heading toward producing a new ASC fixed gear hub.

The page has an email link directly to Sunrace / Sturmey Archer. Here is the page.

I'd urge all fixed gear riders to drop the friendly folks in marketing at Sunrace / Sturmey Archer a line or two, and tell them that if they bring it back, you'll purchase one. Yee-Hah.
Old 09-07-08, 05:26 PM
road curmudgeon, FG rider

Bikes: 1973 Nishiki Professional, 1990 Serotta Colorado II, 2002 Waterford Track

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As someone who started cycling seriously in 1972 (when Campy NR was the current bling) I had always wanted a fixed geared bike but somehow never got around to making one.

Fast forward 34 years and I noticed that I didn't ride my vintage Nishiki much so I converted it to a FG by just removing the outer chainring, freewheel downtube shfters and deraileurs. Only needed to buy a single cog , BB lockring and spacers to move the inner chainring inwards to get the perfect chainline.

I loved the simplicity and the inability to coast. As someone posted earlier, in order to pedal fast downhills you need to relax and look farther down the road. You start reading the terrain like a chessboard. You learn to conserve your momentum and you get stronger fromrocking the bike out of the saddle up the steep stuff.

When you have the ability to coast and change gears then you train your legs much like an engine with a very narrow powerband. With a FG you learn to operate over a very wide range of rpm and you learn to produce more torque. It will make you a BETTER cyclist! But most of all it is BIG fun.

As for me I like to run 2 brakes. A yr after building my coversion I bought a real track bike (Waterford 1700) made with bosses for 2 water bottles and and the brazed on parts to run a F& R brake. I have ridden my FG bikes on metric centuries and plan on doing an English century next year.

At 51 yrs of age I am no hipster

Gerry
Old 09-07-08, 07:42 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don’t know if it is a good thing to even get into this conversation because I haven’t mastered the technique necessary to optimize riding the bikes I already have. But when I think of a fixed gear bike I think back to some of the first bikes many of us ever had. I know there is a difference between a bike with a coaster brake and a fixed gear bike but I wonder if a fixed gear bike isn’t a step backwards for most of us? For me it is all I can do to spin 80-90 RPMs on the flat with a 50x15 let alone trying it with a 48x13. My motor isn’t what it was 20 years ago. I spent some time getting a Mountain bike with a megarange Cassette with a 34 big gear in back to climb some of the hills on the way to our local dirt trail. But that is just me.
As for beer, don't we still have Sam Adams?

Last edited by Robert Foster; 09-07-08 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-09-08, 08:07 AM

Bikes: 1973 Nishiki Professional, 1990 Serotta Colorado II, 2002 Waterford Track

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A bike with coaster brake has a freewheel. A closer analogy would be a "Big Wheel" trike as that is a fixed gear but unfortunately Big Wheels are front wheel drive and your feet are not securely attched to the pedals.

Not being able to coast, or more accurately, being forced to keep up with the pedals teaches us to relax in order to spin a higher cadence. If you run brakes (as I feel you should) then you always have the option of slowing your spin as you tire or tighten up from aniexty. I feel it is a point of honor not to resort to the brakes but they are there just in case.
Old 09-09-08, 04:39 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GeraldChan
A bike with coaster brake has a freewheel. A closer analogy would be a "Big Wheel" trike as that is a fixed gear but unfortunately Big Wheels are front wheel drive and your feet are not securely attched to the pedals.

Not being able to coast, or more accurately, being forced to keep up with the pedals teaches us to relax in order to spin a higher cadence. If you run brakes (as I feel you should) then you always have the option of slowing your spin as you tire or tighten up from aniexty. I feel it is a point of honor not to resort to the brakes but they are there just in case.
So I take it your down hill speed is limited by the drag caused by your legs? After all you can only physically spin so fast no matter how relaxed you are. Plus I take it you have to walk a lot more hills? On my cruiser bike I have hit 38 MPG on a short hill close to my house. A 48 x 13 fixed gear would need way more than 120 RPMs of crank speed to hold that speed. To climb that same hill it was all I could do to get up it with a 28x32 on my MTB. My best gear on the cruiser simply wouldn't cut it.
Old 09-09-08, 04:56 PM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the fixed gear revolution is just a matter of economics. Geared bikes have just gotten way too expensive. A fixie can be built up from a cheap track frame and parts and provides economical transportation while making a statement about simplicity, both mechanical and in one's life. Now that fixed gears have caught on it sort of becomes the rage like having a tattoo or piercings. People are generally herd animals whether following the trend en masse or bucking the trend en masse.
Old 09-09-08, 07:18 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
I think the fixed gear revolution is just a matter of economics. Geared bikes have just gotten way too expensive. A fixie can be built up from a cheap track frame and parts and provides economical transportation while making a statement about simplicity, both mechanical and in one's life. Now that fixed gears have caught on it sort of becomes the rage like having a tattoo or piercings. People are generally herd animals whether following the trend en masse or bucking the trend en masse.
"How much of a revolution is it? I haven’t seen many fixed gear bikes in our club but I also believe the nearest Velodrome is about 100 miles away. Does anyone know what percentage these fixed gear bike make?"
Old 09-10-08, 06:37 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked 1,834 Times in 1,066 Posts
Someone pointed me to this item on Sheldon Brown's site. This concerns the rumor that Sturmey Archer may be heading toward producing a new ASC fixed gear hub.

The page has an email link directly to Sunrace / Sturmey Archer. Here is the page.

I'd urge all fixed gear riders to drop the friendly folks in marketing at Sunrace / Sturmey Archer a line or two, and tell them that if they bring it back, you'll purchase one. Yee-Hah.
Always somebody that doesn't get the memo:

https://www.sunrace-sturmeyarcher.blogspot.com/

tcs
Old 09-10-08, 06:40 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
I'm wondering if, once it's past being "hip" or "in" what will become of these thousands of Fixed Gear Kids in the future?
Do what kids have always done when a scene is over: intermarry and move to the suburbs.

tcs

Last edited by tcs; 09-10-08 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-10-08, 06:47 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
So I take it your down hill speed is limited by the drag caused by your legs? After all you can only physically spin so fast no matter how relaxed you are. Plus I take it you have to walk a lot more hills? On my cruiser bike I have hit 38 MPG on a short hill close to my house. A 48 x 13 fixed gear would need way more than 120 RPMs of crank speed to hold that speed. To climb that same hill it was all I could do to get up it with a 28x32 on my MTB. My best gear on the cruiser simply wouldn't cut it.
I ride a 44X17 (70") gear on my clincher wheels and a 44X16 (74") on my tubular wheels. You are correct that going downhill is the hardest part as you tire quickly spinning like a hamster on meth. I personally have gone 36 mph in the 70" gear but I don't know the cadence.
As for walking up hills, I have yet to get off my fixie to walk up but never say never.

The hipster craze is primarily an urban phenomenon. Us 50+ riders can remeber back in the 60's & 70's,when many serious cyclist would convert their road bikes over to FG for the off season in order to train. This did not involve removing the brakes, nor where flat, chopped handlebars part of the scene.

PS Is there still a velodrome in Encino? I have ridden the one in San Jose's Hellyer Park. They rent track bike for $5/day.
Old 09-10-08, 06:49 AM
tcs
Palmer

Not sure who the "parent company" of Sturmey-Archer is now. ( I hate that whole "parent company" idea, but that's the way things are now. ) Anyone know?
Google is your friend.

Sturmey-Archer has been rejuvenated under SunRace ownership. Quality is way up; they are improving the old products, introducing new ones and expanding markets.

BTW, Sturmey-Archer's parent company during most of your lifetime was first Raleigh and then a company called Tube Investments. That's the way things were then.

tcs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.