Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Where'd Spring go?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Where'd Spring go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-09, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Where'd Spring go?

I don't do group rides as a rule but every once in a while I get the urge. There is a weekly Sunday morning early breakfast ride of about 23 miles round trip that I thought I'ld tag along with tomorrow.

Well, golly gee if they're not calling for thunder storms and wind and clouds and cold for tomorrow. My next opportunity to ride with these folks won't come around (due to my work schedule) for another five weeks or so. Drat! What rotten luck. Lucky me, I had nice weather for my entire work week and now the weather world is ganging up on little old me.

Oh well, since the bike is already loaded into the Van I guess when I get out of work tomorrow morning I'll just drive to the ride site and see what, if anything, is happening. If it's pouring down rain on that side of town, it's home and into bed as I've been recruited for an extra 12 hr. shift again on Sunday night. If the weather is dry or iffy or just a light rain, I might just pull out the bike and ride along. I'll commute in the rain without a second thought about it...but I won't take a pleasure ride in the rain. It just isn't any fun, and fun is what riding is all about for me.

Sigh!!!! Meanwhile I'm trying to convince the bride to join me in a cycling adventure on Monday. It's supposed to be Sunny, Hot but very Breezy. Hopefully I'll post some sort of ride report here soon.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 04-25-09 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-25-09, 06:58 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Spring is here. Temps for the next several days are in the low 60s (lows around 40), with 3-4 days with some rain. Trees are finally beginning to get green buds on them. Tulips and daffodils are blooming. A few flowering trees are blooming. No azaleas or crab trees blooming yet.

We had snow this past Monday. I hope that was the last of it.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 04-26-09, 07:16 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
76deg at 7:30 am this morning on the trail. I can't believe that I'm ducking afternoon heat by riding early in April. It is true however that we are busting 100 year old records here in New England. Wind and exact location still matter a lot this time of year. Yesterday I was riding in mid 80's while 30 miles away on the shoreline they were struggling to get up to 60.

I hope it stays like this for all of May.
Old 04-26-09, 12:28 PM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Co-motion Americano

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last week it was in the 70's & 80's. Now it's snowing! Ah, springtime in the mountains.
Old 04-26-09, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was afraid my bike would spend all day like this.....

....instead it spent 20 miles riding with these great folks...

The rain stopped in time for us to get the Breakfast run in without getting wet. Boy do these guys ride fast. I seldom saw speeds below 18 mph. Had I been on the EZ Sport instead of the Tour Easy it would have been much more challanging, not that it wasn't anyway.

I'm anxious to ride with these guys again.