Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ Second Annual Ride??

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

50+ Second Annual Ride??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-09, 09:40 AM
Bike Curious....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's another idea - where we leave the planning, $$$ & details to a pro. There are plenty of bike tour companies out there - my wife and I are thinking of doing a California wine country tour next year. What if enough folks got together to 'fill' a particular tour date, it would be like our private event.

Pros:
- Someone else has the headache
- Accommodations, routes, etc. would all be handled
- A setting would be picked to guarantee beauty
- Money is put down so there would be less of a chance of last minute bails

Cons:
- Cost, these things can range from reasonable to expensive. Regardless, it would be more expensive than what DnvrFox did
- More than likely it wouldn't be a pure 50+ group, as others might join

Anyhow, this might work if someone made the first move & let people know. Anyone up for a California trip?

Also, another option is to pick a an organized event, like a century ride and build around it. For example this weekend the Civil War Century is occurring - riding through South Mountain, Antietam and Gettysburg. A handful of 50+ folks will be there - options are for 104, 75, 62.5, 50 and 25 miles so something for everyone. Anyhow, if a ride like that was the centerpiece of a multi-day get-together, a lot of fun could be had. Again, speaking of this specific century, folks could come early and ride down the C&O canal path, do the century ride, ride the battlefields the day after (at a more leisurely pace), etc.

Anyhow, just my 2 cents. My hat/helmet off to DnvrFox for doing what he did this past year, I know it takes untold hours of planning (and grief) to pull something like this off.
Old 09-11-09, 11:16 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I organized a vintage (C&V) ride on BF for the SE Michigan area, last summer. Some local BFers showed, but the location wasn't suitable for a lot of the folks who are here. You really have to pick your locations and take your shot. You get the people you get, not everyone will be satisfied. Those that come will love it.
Old 09-23-09, 09:42 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Want to bump this - isn't there more to be said? Are we really happy with letting it lie here Balkanized?