Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Update - all around exercise, swimming

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-10, 07:38 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

As many of you know, I enjoy exercising in a number of dimensions - PT for my back, weights and resistance exercises, walking, bicycling, stretching and swimming.

I didn't start swimming until December, 2007. I could swim a bit, but never knew how to really do the strokes, etc.

A couple of interesting things.

1. I have been swimming with two guys who have a goal of a triathlon, but have never done much swimming. They are both absolutely amazed at how different the aerobic requirements are for swimming as opposed to running and/or bicycling. Yesterday, one of the guys - likely in his late 20's, remarked that he could run 5 miles easily, and bicycle 20+ miles, but could not swim the length of the pool. Ditto for the other guy.

2. I found myself giving swimming tips to both these guys - at their request. I never considered myself a good swimmer, but I have folks frequently state that I seem to just glide through the water!

So, here I am at 70, having only been swimming two years, giving swimming tips to folks in their 20's and 40's.

BTW, I am trying to increase my bicycling length of riding. However, today, after an hour of PT and resistance training, 2 miles of walking and 45 minutes of swimming, my leg just sort of wore out in the store - the result , of course, of my stenosis and other back problems.

Aargh!!

Any other swimmers or all-around exercisers out there today?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-09-10 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-08-10, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've swum on and off since my cancer diagnosis, and it is completely correct that the aerobic requirements are different for cycling and swimming. I think that's why triathletes are some of the best all-around athletes. To be able to swim, bike and run well in all three disciplines is a great achievement. As soon as my pool gets warm in about a month, I'm back in it.
Old 03-08-10, 08:59 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I also think swimming is pretty different. It has always been hard for me to remain aerobic while swimming. Zing goes the HR and I'm not going far. Also... you can drown in that stuff!
Old 03-09-10, 06:30 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Fox, I could sure use your coaching! I'm a runner in addition to being a cyclist, and at 63 can run a half-marathon in about the top third of my age group. But I recently started swimming (or, more accurately, trying to swim!) and it has been kicking my butt to put it mildly. I'm actually not getting into the aerobic issues because I'm having trouble with the basic mechanics. I thought I knew how to swim even though I've done little of it, but apparently not.

I foolishly entered an indoor triathlon that takes place this coming Sunday, figuring that I could learn to swim well enough to do the 10-minute part of the event, but now I'm thinking I might have to do the backstroke since that way I can at least stay afloat. And since this is at the rec center of a nearby college campus, I'll be up against some of those 20-year-olds.
Old 03-09-10, 07:08 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by DougG
Fox, I could sure use your coaching! I'm a runner in addition to being a cyclist, and at 63 can run a half-marathon in about the top third of my age group. But I recently started swimming (or, more accurately, trying to swim!) and it has been kicking my butt to put it mildly. I'm actually not getting into the aerobic issues because I'm having trouble with the basic mechanics. I thought I knew how to swim even though I've done little of it, but apparently not.

I foolishly entered an indoor triathlon that takes place this coming Sunday, figuring that I could learn to swim well enough to do the 10-minute part of the event, but now I'm thinking I might have to do the backstroke since that way I can at least stay afloat. And since this is at the rec center of a nearby college campus, I'll be up against some of those 20-year-olds.
I took a lesson from a really good swimming instructor. One lesson was all I needed to get that "boost" although I am sure I could benefit by more lessons.
Old 03-09-10, 07:57 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I take a lap swim class every spring semester at the local community college. We're on spring break this week. It doesn't help my legs, but it helps with upper body and aerobic capacity. My perennial technique issue is dragging my left shoulder. After the pneumonia, I'm only up to about 250 yards at a time. Luckily, very few of the sets involve more than 100yds between breaks.
Old 03-09-10, 10:09 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most of your power in swimming comes from the upper body. So a good runner and or cyclist is not necessarily a good swimmer. Another thing about swimming is having an efficient stroke makes a big difference. So there is a bit of technique involved.
Old 03-09-10, 03:28 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Have never enjoyed swimming and don't intend to make it a form of exercise for me- BUT- When I had an Angiogram many years ago- the cardiologist asked me if I was a swimmer or a cyclist? Apparantly these are the two sports that are cardio vascular benificial and I only do one of them.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-09-10, 07:13 PM
Hypoxic Member

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I grew up on the beach and am completely at ease in the water. Unfortunately I'm a terrible swimmer. I have a poor kick, an awful stroke, and I don't know how to breathe.

Also, having grown up on the beach makes me thoroughly intolerant of pools. You have to turn around all the time.
Old 03-09-10, 07:26 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get your friends interested in Total Immersion swimming. This helped me a lot. Here's a video.
Old 03-09-10, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't been on the road bike since late Dec., did some mt. biking in Jan. , but the snow here in NYC area sent me back into the pool. I once swam Masters, did this for 12 years or so, and am a better swimmer then cyclist, but then got bored with endless laps as well as the time commitment to get the riding mileage in as well as pool yardage, so the past 12 years have seen once a month getting wet, at best.

6 weeks ago I started back in the pool, quickly got up to 9,000 yards a week with a good bit of speed workouts, but fully expecting that my yardage would drop back down once the snow cleared and I started riding again. One drawback to having a refined stroke is that you are more efficiant and thus, burn fewer calories, unless you make an effort to swim hard.

I did a so-called "easy" road ride this past Sat. with a Tri buddy/Ironman in training. I was surprised that on my first road ride in 10 weeks I actually felt strong and the reason is the time in the pool. No doubt about it that cross training makes you stronger all around. Finding the time for it is the problem !.

SB
Old 03-09-10, 08:36 PM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started cycling about 5 years ago after a long absence. About 3 years ago, my wife took up jogging, so I started going with her (although I'm pretty sure I once swore that running was a stupid activity and I was never going to do it When I was a kid, I used to swim competitively, so I figured that since I was 2/3rds of the way to a triathlon, I might as well start swimming again. Since then I've managed to complete two incredibly slow half-ironman events.

As part of my reintroduction to swimming, I read the Immersion Swimming book. There are some good ideas there about technique, and it's much different than what I was taught back in the 70's. The one line description would be "Reducing drag is WAY more important than increasing power. So work on your form."

Nick
Old 03-09-10, 09:20 PM
Banned.

I've been checking out the Total Immersion web page. I think that is pretty much how I swim, rotating my body around an axis, not turning my head, but my body, to breathe, etc.

Anyway, that's how my wife says I look when I swim.
Old 03-10-10, 07:29 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
There's a good animation of the proper stroke here at https://www.swimsmooth.com. Studying this has actually helped me out a bit. I do know a local triathlete who gives personalized lessons, but I think I should have a few more of the basics before I subject myself to her coaching.
Old 03-10-10, 07:41 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by DougG
There's a good animation of the proper stroke here at https://www.swimsmooth.com. Studying this has actually helped me out a bit. I do know a local triathlete who gives personalized lessons, but I think I should have a few more of the basics before I subject myself to her coaching.
Check out the total immersion swimming web page.

They have a whole set of animations and lessons and a different theory, which differ from the animation you referenced, especially as regards the feet.

https://www.totalimmersion.net/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpwhzTCWh8Y&NR=1
Old 03-10-10, 08:47 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
re: "after an hour of PT and resistance training, 2 miles of walking and 45 minutes of swimming, my leg just sort of wore out"

this sounds like too much in one day or without enough recovery time between activities. in addition, what was going on with your nutrition during all this? adequate carbs? maybe not!

about the swimming - that's awesome! I've been swimming for just over a year and I finally feel like I do a proper job of it. however I know I'm doing it for body transformation and not because I want to compete. my arms are too big and heavy. this is by choice through my weight training. I love what swimming has done for my body this past year. it compliments the pushups and pullups very nicely.

controlling my diet is my biggest challenge right now.
Old 03-10-10, 09:49 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
re: "after an hour of PT and resistance training, 2 miles of walking and 45 minutes of swimming, my leg just sort of wore out"

this sounds like too much in one day or without enough recovery time between activities. in addition, what was going on with your nutrition during all this? adequate carbs? maybe not!
You are 100% incorrect.

It has to do with the nerves and the stenosis in my spine, period. That level of activity is my usual level. I have excellent blood sugar level, and can and have ridden for hours with no nutririon. I guess you would have to be me and to have been there to really understand. Unfortunately, you weren't and aren't.
Old 03-10-10, 09:51 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
um OK dude - didn't mean to offend you ... yeesh
Old 03-10-10, 05:02 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
um OK dude - didn't mean to offend you ... yeesh
Guess I came on a bit strong there. Bad morning.

Sorry about that!
Old 03-13-10, 03:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The aerobics are definitely different. The max heart rates are different. I don't swim, but my max cycling is 174 and my max sprinting/running is 190. I think the max swimming is slightly less than for cycling, but not sure.

Al
Old 03-16-10, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Strange coincidence you should post on swimming. You, of course, know I can swim. But, not very efficiently or speedily. So, last Saturday I took the first of a series of swim lessons to work on stroke, breathing and kick. I just returned home from an hour practice session. Man am I beat! I kicked and kicked and kicked. But, at least now I'm getting somewhere instead of kicking and getting stationary.

Now my activity routine of weights and bike will have added to it swimming. My phsical therapist is encouraging me to resume running so I can compete in a short triathalon this July. Don't know about that but I appreciate the compliment that I might even be competitive.
Old 03-17-10, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So far it has been one class Saturday and one on-my-own practice session yesterday. Must have been a good session yesterday because I am sore with DOMS. Guess I'll lay off today, maybe do some weights and the spin bike, since I have class again tomorrow evening.

Oh the price we pay for physical fitness
Old 03-17-10, 02:29 PM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Get your friends interested in Total Immersion swimming. This helped me a lot. Here's a video.
That doesn't sound like it will end well.