Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Two Windy to Ride

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Two Windy to Ride

Old 04-10-10, 12:12 PM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two Windy to Ride

Our power is back on after two days of outage due to high wind. On the windiest day (I estimate 50 MPH + gusts), I got all suited up, and planned to ride upwind for 10 miles, and have a fun tailwind coming back. But after a half mile on the highway, I decided it was too dangerous. I was being pushed all over the place. It was fun, but with cars around, not feasible.
Old 04-10-10, 12:39 PM
palookabutt
pedo viejo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Salsa Pistola

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, that can get pretty dicey. High winds are an interesting challenge up to a point, but throw in gusts and you're just asking for trouble. Glad you made it home safely.
Old 04-10-10, 12:45 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 24 Posts
I went out Thursday and the winds were blowing 20 to 32 mph and no they weren't from the back I wonder why that is. Anyhow after 25 miles, that was a pretty good workout.
Old 04-10-10, 01:01 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So tell me...does wind blow, or does wind suck? No, really, I want to know!

I was contemplating this the other day and thoroughly confused myself. How can you tell if the pressure system equalization process is pushing from one direction or pulling from the other? My Kirby vacuum clealer sucks, but if you watch the debris that gets caught in the vacuum, it looks just like its blowing in the wind.... well untill it dis-appears anyway.

If you can clearly convince me one way or the other (and I don't convince easily...I'm kinda dense), I've got a few more confusing questions.
Old 04-10-10, 01:21 PM
ddez

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post

I was contemplating this the other day and thoroughly confused myself. How can you tell if the pressure system equalization process is pushing from one direction or pulling from the other? My Kirby vacuum clealer sucks, but if you watch the debris that gets caught in the vacuum, it looks just like its blowing in the wind.... well untill it dis-appears anyway.

If you can clearly convince me one way or the other (and I don't convince easily...I'm kinda dense), I've got a few more confusing questions.
Not sure,but it really sucks when it blows.
After such a good start to April(no snow left,hurting ranchers and farmers,drought conditions) its been blowing up here for 3-4 days with wind gusts to 60mph.
Old 04-10-10, 01:40 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

You are thinking too much. Stop asking awkward questions and go take a ride. Then you can tell us if winds sucks- or is your friend.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-10-10, 02:17 PM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts

It depends on which direction you're facing.
Old 04-10-10, 04:16 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2006-2010 Terra Trike Tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 64 Posts
Totally agree, we've had 30 to 50+ mph. winds over a 9 day period, last Tuesday, I was riding along the Pikes Peak Greenway Trail here in C. Springs, CO. and a huge gust, basicly shoved me "off the trail" and out on the street", good thing there was no traffic on the street!! Then up the path a bit, a HUGE tree was blown down and covered the whole trail. Fighting this WIND, SUCKS, LOL!

Old 04-10-10, 05:13 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Wind can be dangerous.
Been blown sideways a few times while riding our tandem; blew us and the tandem over 2 feet toward extreme edge of the asphalt somehwere in Indiana decades ago. Blew us sideways and into an involuntary left turn in Michigan one fine spring day.
Got caught by a strong gust of wind after cresting a hill here in AZ. Wind blew from between 2 mountain peaks and threw bike and me sideways into the dirt. Did my paratrooper roll over the bars and got knocked out. Found by a motorist out. Lucky for me I just missed a 50 ft. dropoff. Was hauled away in an ambulance with 6 broken ribs and a punctured lung. The bike was fine.
Here in AZ, it gets typically quite windy this time of year. So windy, that 2 months ago I could not get out of our front door as the high winds had knocked 5 large palm fronds to the ground.
Weather man does not predict 'windy' conditions unless it is at least 25 mph . . . he call antyhing less than 25 mph 'breezy,' but then he doesn't ride a bike.
Pedal on!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 04-10-10, 05:16 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
CORRECTION:

Left off the number zero after the number 5: That was 50 (fifty) large palm fronds that came down!
Old 04-10-10, 06:37 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

As a graduate of VA Tech I can assure you that in Bleaksburg the wind sucks.