Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How to avoid "Laugh In" falls when coming to a stop.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How to avoid "Laugh In" falls when coming to a stop.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-10, 08:01 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't worry. Once you get the hang of it you will never do an Artie Johnson.

Until you do.
Old 05-20-10, 08:04 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6761 Post(s)
Liked 5,469 Times in 3,218 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
I think the biggest factor to falling is going to slow before you unclip.
This.

I think I unclip as soon as the decision is made to stop. It's pretty unconscious. I also rode with toe clips for years so the transition wasn't a big deal as far as getting ready to stop.

I have done the tombay (will somebody explain the origin of that for me please) once that I remember. I was in a line of traffic leaving this big airfield at lunch time after a particularly intense work out in the Savannah, GA July steambath we call summer and I was cooked.
Traffic was moving slow and I am not the best trackstander. Sweat was pouring into my eyes, my head was about 3 sizes bigger than normal and my legs were like noodles. I was just that fraction of a second too slow uncleating as I lost balance and I did kind of a split as my cleat slid on the tarmac. Nothing graceful about it. Kind of ended up sitting on my toptube.

I have crashed more times than I would like and I got to say I always end up separated from the clipless pedals somehow. With tight strapped toeclips this wasn't always the case. Seems like being stuck in your pedals limits your ability to roll which, while it spreads the road damage around, limits the intensity in one place, usually a hip.
Old 05-21-10, 05:57 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I don't agree with those advising switching back to platform pedals or toe clips. You've already invested time and skin into the process of learning to use clipless. No sense backing up. You'll soon get the hang of it.

Disengaging both feet never worked for me. Trying to rest the unengaged foot on the pedal always seemed very unstable and I could easily see it causing an accident. Press on. Master the skill and don't look back.
+1
Old 05-21-10, 06:30 AM
Flatlander

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
Switch to toe clips. Recreational riders do not need to be clipped in. You'll also save money on expensive pedals and on shoes that are a pain in the ass to walk in.
Besides, you don't even need to be clipped in to enjoy a spectacular fall. As I proved last Saturday, all you have to do is apply the brakes much more suddenly than necessary and momentum takes care of the rest.
Old 05-21-10, 06:38 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Origin of Tombay:

It's a corruption for the french word for falling down. Tomber, infinitive form. Tombé(e)(f): masculine or (feminine) past tense (J'ai tombé ma velo ou bicyclette).
Originally Posted by ahsposo
This.

I think I unclip as soon as the decision is made to stop. It's pretty unconscious. I also rode with toe clips for years so the transition wasn't a big deal as far as getting ready to stop.

I have done the tombay (will somebody explain the origin of that for me please) once that I remember. I was in a line of traffic leaving this big airfield at lunch time after a particularly intense work out in the Savannah, GA July steambath we call summer and I was cooked.
Traffic was moving slow and I am not the best trackstander. Sweat was pouring into my eyes, my head was about 3 sizes bigger than normal and my legs were like noodles. I was just that fraction of a second too slow uncleating as I lost balance and I did kind of a split as my cleat slid on the tarmac. Nothing graceful about it. Kind of ended up sitting on my toptube.

I have crashed more times than I would like and I got to say I always end up separated from the clipless pedals somehow. With tight strapped toeclips this wasn't always the case. Seems like being stuck in your pedals limits your ability to roll which, while it spreads the road damage around, limits the intensity in one place, usually a hip.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 05-21-10, 01:49 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I changed to clipless after the graduation to toe clips. I used to find that I was pulling the feet out of the clips so I needed some good tension on the straps. After doing an MTB race with clips and straps and falling often- I changed to clipless. Couple of falls but it was Winter so soft landings each time. 1 month later and the clipless Pedals were natural but the danger time came after 3 months when I became complacent.

I can no longer ride on Platforms as I find the feet coming off the pedals too often. You do learn a different technique that is termed pedalling in circles and I keep pulling the feet off the pedals on the upstroke. But since I went road 4 years ago my only fall has been due to not being clipped in. I had unclipped both feetdue to some walkers on the path and when I put pressure on the pedals- the feet slipped off.

Keep on with the clipless- it will make for a more efficient pedal stroke- but I also have to admit that a few riders just never get on with them. Couple of forum members did take the plunge and try them but they got fed up with the bruises and loss of blood- so they gave up.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-21-10, 02:04 PM
Artificial Member

Thank you Tom for the word origin.

I thought for a moment "Now how does somebody in Indiana know that parlez vous stuff" and I realized you probably have passed through French Lick at some point.
Old 05-21-10, 02:19 PM
Long Run Nick

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Again, thanks for all the info. It has been helpful. I sheepishly admit that I did ride with toe clips back in the 90's and escaped uninjured. Maybe there is a difference in reflexes from age 54 back in 1998 to 66 now. I know my running race times have declined over the years--go figure. Nick
Old 05-21-10, 02:43 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

I thought for a moment "Now how does somebody in Indiana know that parlez vous stuff" and I realized you probably have passed through French Lick at some point.
Bad. That was bad. I've been there but never run into the Hick from French Lick. People our age know who he is. Kids under 30 would have no idea who I was talking about.

I wonder if Long Run Nick is related to Fun Run Robbie.

I guess that's it.
Old 05-21-10, 02:56 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts

Remember that Versailles (pronounced ver-sales) is in Indiana. We Hoosiers are tres Cosmopolitan or Metropolitan or whatever.................
Old 05-21-10, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Toe clips are something I was never able to get the hang of. I did more Tombaying (is that a word?) with toe clips than I ever did with SPDs, and I've done a few with those.
Old 05-21-10, 07:05 PM
Artificial Member

Originally Posted by JanMM
Remember that Versailles (pronounced ver-sales) is in Indiana. We Hoosiers are tres Cosmopolitan or Metropolitan or whatever.................
You want fries with that?
Old 05-21-10, 07:25 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Je parle francais! Je suis prendre un cour de francais por mon etudies à Purdue University.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 05-22-10, 06:23 AM
Alan

Bikes: Trek 6700, Giant OCR C2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've looked back through this thread and I can't see if anyone has mentioned that most clipless pedals can be adjusted for spring tension.

These images are meant to be typical, not an endorsement of Shimano.

If you're new to this type of pedal, or lack confidence, make sure the adjustment screws - 2 on double-sided pedals - 1 on single-sided - are wound anti-clockwise as far as they will reasonably go. There are one or two other pedalling systems which use different methods.

After a few rides, wind the tension up a couple of clicks, and repeat until the pedals are as tight as you can confidently ride.
Old 05-22-10, 11:23 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
After all the discussion, I'm still wondering what the true advantages of clipless pedals are. I switched my bikes over to toe clips and have felt no noticeable disadvantage while very noticeably being able to wear any shoes, including crocs with my pedals. Of course, I know the theoretical advantages, maximum power to the pedals, ability to pull up, and perhaps there are others, but for a recreational cyclist like myself, these advantages have no real meaning for me. It so much easier to just put on whatever footwear I feel like wearing and hopping on the bike. and while I'm at it, let me state another heresy. Occasional I just hop on one of my bikes wearing ordinary street clothes. sometimes I can't be bothered with suiting up with all the bike clothes. I just feel like getting on the bike for an hour or so without going to he trouble of donning all the regalia. Guess what? for short rides, say 10-20 miles, I'm quite comfortable. I wouldn't go out for 30 or 40 miles rides with jeans on, but for short distances, I really don't mind shorts and sandals. The important thing is to ride a lot. Whatever is comfortable works.
Old 05-22-10, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Late to the party, but nevermind ... as others have said, you will fall; there appears to be very strong (albeit anecdotal) evidence that 3 comedy falls is the required minimum when learning clipless

This was certainly my experience (switched to clipless in 2004). Had the requisite 3 falls in the first six weeks or so. Oddly, didn't have the first til about 3 weeks in; thought I was doin' pretty well for an old guy -- pulled gracefully up in front of coffee shop/right foot unclipped ready to step down/unbalanced left > over I went. It happens! However, fwiw I now can't imagine riding without clipless; in fact, I feel insecure/ill at ease when riding a bike with flat pedals (let alone toeclips, which I just never 'got').
I don't think there's 'a way'; one just (eventually) gets the hang of it (balance, muscle memory, etc.).

One tip (two really, though related -- see a couple of posts above): if you are using spd (i.e. Shimano mtb style) pedals, set the release tension to low-medium or even low the first little while. Applies to others as well. This adjustment is really easy to make. Also, replace the cleats regularly; worn cleats actually make it more difficult to release from the pedal.

Last edited by badger1; 05-22-10 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-22-10, 12:51 PM

After all the discussion, I'm still wondering what the true advantages of clipless pedals are. I switched my bikes over to toe clips and have felt no noticeable disadvantage while very noticeably being able to wear any shoes, including crocs with my pedals. Of course, I know the theoretical advantages, maximum power to the pedals, ability to pull up, and perhaps there are others, but for a recreational cyclist like myself, these advantages have no real meaning for me. It so much easier to just put on whatever footwear I feel like wearing and hopping on the bike. and while I'm at it, let me state another heresy. Occasional I just hop on one of my bikes wearing ordinary street clothes. sometimes I can't be bothered with suiting up with all the bike clothes. I just feel like getting on the bike for an hour or so without going to he trouble of donning all the regalia. Guess what? for short rides, say 10-20 miles, I'm quite comfortable. I wouldn't go out for 30 or 40 miles rides with jeans on, but for short distances, I really don't mind shorts and sandals. The important thing is to ride a lot. Whatever is comfortable works.
Couldn't agree more with the last two sentences Has to be individual taste/preference, I think. I my case, as I mentioned above, once I (quite quickly) got used to clipless, I rapidly got to the point where I just didn't and don't feel completely comfortable riding without. I won't spout nonsense about 'being one with the bike' etc, save to say that I do 'feel' more in control of my bike when clipped in. That's it, really; I don't care about stuff like 'power transfer' etc.

On your related point, same thing for 'cycling clothes'; I only slowly and reluctantly started wearing cycling-specific shorts/jerseys etc. as my cycling time/distances increased, but now just don't feel really comfortable riding in 'street clothes.' Having said that, I waste a lot of time searching for high-quality but 'logo-less' cycling stuff in muted/neutral colours
Old 05-22-10, 01:28 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by badger1
Couldn't agree more with the last two sentences Has to be individual taste/preference, I think. I my case, as I mentioned above, once I (quite quickly) got used to clipless, I rapidly got to the point where I just didn't and don't feel completely comfortable riding without. I won't spout nonsense about 'being one with the bike' etc, save to say that I do 'feel' more in control of my bike when clipped in. That's it, really; I don't care about stuff like 'power transfer' etc.

On your related point, same thing for 'cycling clothes'; I only slowly and reluctantly started wearing cycling-specific shorts/jerseys etc. as my cycling time/distances increased, but now just don't feel really comfortable riding in 'street clothes.' Having said that, I waste a lot of time searching for high-quality but 'logo-less' cycling stuff in muted/neutral colours
Your attitude is great! I think this is how many of use came to the state of cycling specific cloths & clipless pedals.
Although I too refused to buy "clown clothes" I now have many bill board jerseys I really like and I now tend to only wear my plain jerseys when doing my early morning training rides. I have evolved. Whether the evolution was good or bad - you decide.
Old 05-22-10, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool
Your attitude is great! I think this is how many of use came to the state of cycling specific cloths & clipless pedals.
Although I too refused to buy "clown clothes" I now have many bill board jerseys I really like and I now tend to only wear my plain jerseys when doing my early morning training rides. I have evolved. Whether the evolution was good or bad - you decide.
Cheers! You won't get an argument from me on these things! I never have got, don't get, and never will get the serious 'calling out' that goes on in cycling over bike/kit choice. Good-natured teasing I get; but not the other stuff. If a person wants to/likes to wear a particular jersey, why on earth not?
Old 05-22-10, 02:49 PM
Artificial Member

Yeah, I guess it all depends on what you are doing with a bike and on what bike. I have a hybrid with toe clips or platforms and occasionally my SS with toe clips. My folder and beach bike are platforms only. My road bike and SS (normally) I use for speed (I love to go fast) and exercise (trying to work off the donut damage) so I am going to use the clipless pedals and stiff soled shoes. When I ride seriously I am out for a minimum of an hour and up to four so I'm going to dress for riding not something else. I'll use the other bikes for casual transportation or a social ride and will dress appropriately.

Sort of like paddle sports or golf: For tennis I wear tennis clothes but ping-pong or back yard badminton (I know there are serious players of the games and I'm sure there is specific equipment and clothes) I'll wear pretty much what's at hand. For golf I wear special shoes and "golf" clothes (You know plaid plus fours and a cap with a tassel just like Moe of the Stooges- just kidding) but for putt-putt nothing special.

If your biking is pretty casual (and this is a GOOD thing way too many SERIOUS riders myself included) pretty casual dress is appropriate.
Old 05-22-10, 08:05 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've went down 3 times in the last 4 months since I started riding again. Twice at a stop, and once when making a slow, tight radius turn.
Then there was the 4th fall. Was feeling very comfortable with clipless, leaning to the left as I came to a stop and unclipping the left foot. But it would not unclip. I twisted and pulled on the left foot as I fell to the ground. After-fall inspection revealed I had lost one cleat bolt, and the remaining two bolts were way loose. Without the cleat firmly attached to the shoe, no way I could pull it out of the pedal.
Now I check my cleats before every ride.
Old 05-23-10, 12:33 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
There is that thing called pedalling in circles. If you are not fixed to the pedals you will only be able to put in turning power from 1 o'clock to 6. Only when you can push down on the pedals in other words. If you are clipped in- the power stroke will start earlier and finish later. In fact if you want to get really efficient you can train yourself to do nearly a full circle of the pedals with power in. This does take a bit of practice and training but most mortals do find that the power can come in from about 11 o'clock to 8 and for a bit of rest for tired muscles- you can also ride with only putting in power on the upstroke.

I do not try to be "Super" efficient on the stroke- but after 15 years or so of clipless I have to have the cleat tension up quite high. My natural stroke is about 75% of the pedal circle and if the tension is not high- I find that I pull the shoe off the pedal by unclipping on the upstroke.

But some people cannot get on with clipless- They don't like being stuck to the pedals and they like to move the foot around on the pedals. No problem- but one thing you should think about is footwear. The firmer and less flexible the sole of the shoe- then you will be more efficient and will probably get less foot pain. Cycling specific shoes are made with that firm sole and the can be quite cheap. Get an MTB type shoe and IF you ever want to go clipless- then the fixings for cleats will already be in place. (And you will not have a problem walking around as you will have with most Road type shoes.)

Spike Milligan
Old 05-23-10, 05:57 AM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
if the tension is not high- I find that I pull the shoe off the pedal by unclipping on the upstroke.
Last summer a friend gave me a beater which I tried on my commute, it had no cleats or straps. I found my foot firing off the pedal and into the front wheel at the top of the stroke I had no idea I was using that much of the top of the stroke. Luckily there are no big climbs on my commute because I know I really use the upstroke when I am out of the saddle and when I spin at high cadence. In fact when I am up out of the saddle and climbing in a higher cadence I have to make sure I don't bunny hop the bike up the hill.

When my pedal stroke is using the whole circle the riding is easier & less effort - unfortunately I still don't do it all the time without having to think about it. You don't have to ride like an animal to get a lot of value out of these and IMHO their proper use is a valuable skill and they are a tool you should learn how to use.
Old 05-23-10, 07:48 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
No argument from me about your choices or your reasons. I have several bikes and they are set up with different types of pedals to suit my preferences for the different types of riding I like to do. For the casual type of riding you describe, I often choose a bike with toe clips or simply pedals without any attachment device. For other rides I choose my bike with SPD MTB type clipless pedals for the performance and comfort advantages of clipless and the increased walkability of recessed cleats. For other rides I choose a bike with Look road pedals for no compromise road performance and comfort. Sometimes I will chnge the pedals when I want a certain bike with a different pedal choice from what is normally on it. The only place I am inflexible in my choice is with my mountain bike. I will not ride offroad without MTB clipless pedals. Safety first.
Old 05-23-10, 06:49 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Unclip early, unclip often.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.