Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Weight Gain and Getting Older

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-10, 08:39 PM

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
A lot of it is food intake and the types of food that you take in.
Old 06-02-10, 06:35 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Long Run Nick
. . . My observations of people's eating habits are that most folks eat way more than they need. We lose very few people in this country to starvation. Way more medical issues appear from over eating . . . Believe me we can get by on a lot less food than we think we can. Nick
You've been watching me. The spy cameras are really well hidden.

For me, maintaining weight requires eating about half of what I "need." To lose some whale blubber requires eating about one third of what I "need."
Old 06-02-10, 07:42 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
How many of you are having to fight harder and harder to maintain (or lose) weight as you gain more years?

I have managed to lose a few pounds with extreme effort. I probably burn about 7,000 KCal extra (from a non-exercising person) each week from swimming, weight lifting and bicycling, and I have just about cut out all sweets, eat veggies, fruit, chicken, little red meat, no fast food, etc., etc. But, I always have to work at it, and still need to shed about 10 more pounds.

I am proud to say that I went on a 7 day cruise and did lose 2 pounds. But, hey, it is tough!!

I think this starts showing up more as you reach 65+.

Any thoughts on the subject?
I beg to differ, or you can say I am just an exception.

I am 6ft3in tall, and I hit the scales at 136. And the funny thing is I am all muscle.. No fat.. Plus, I am 69 years old.

How is this so? First, I am an ectomorph body type, second, I workout at the gym 5 to 6 days a week, third, I eat healthy, get rest, and don't worry about things.

I know, it is hard to picture somebody 6"3' at 135 lbs, you figure you looking at a walking skelton..

IMO, if everybody did those 3 points, they too, would shed flab, and be healthy according to their body type.

Most people think I am telling a fib, so here a few pics of a 69 year old man. The lady is my wife.

https://www.cehoward.net/bike28.jpg

https://www.cehoward.net/lowweight1.jpg

https://www.cehoward.net/6fix.jpg

https://www.cehoward.net/ext1.jpg

It all boils down to one's lifestyle. In my humble old opinion, regular workouts at the gym are PRICELESS, no doubt about it, PURE DEE PRICELESS.

Anyone, no matter what their age, if they start working out regular, they will NOT have to worry about gaining weight/flab AFTER 65, the only thing they will have to worry about is getting TOO MUCH MUSCLE!!
Old 06-02-10, 12:41 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
I'm not exactly heavy, but I can empathize with anyone trying to lose weight or keep their weight under control.

I grew up not even thinking much at all about what I ate, and I had some pretty silly notions about what was healthy and what was not. But as everyone has noted, the older you get, the more your metabolism slows, and the easier it is to gain weight.

I burn about 1600 calories a day in addition to my base value, and I still have to watch what I eat.

Eating out? Forget about it. It's just about impossible to eat out and eat healthy. Either the food is high in calories, high in fat, high in sodium, or typically, all three!

Eating cakes, candies, pies or other delectable baked goods? Forget it. I find it easier to say "no" than "no more," so that stuff is totally off the menu.

Learn to love fruit and vegetables (I do anyway), and spend the effort to eat them (they are not convenient). And find a good calorie counter and keep track of what you eat. You'd be surprised how healthy some foods are and shocked at how unhealthy others are (I was).

This one works for me: https://caloriecount.about.com/

Old 06-02-10, 01:26 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
any thoughts on the subject? hahahaha I hate this subject! :-) yeah, it's hard. not to mention we don't produce growth hormones like a 23 yr old - so all the weight training we do - the pay back is so small. every ounce of food is critical and every hour of excercise is too. I was weight training with "comfortable" weights with little appreciable gains - so I switched to heavier weights and have been very happy with the results, but they are slow in coming. week after week, months after month, year after year I see improvement but I'm also getting older each year. its a brutal equation!
Old 06-02-10, 02:45 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
Anyone, no matter what their age, if they start working out regular, they will NOT have to worry about gaining weight/flab AFTER 65, the only thing they will have to worry about is getting TOO MUCH MUSCLE!!
I've been "working out" regularly for 20 years. I have a lot of muscle, and I lift a variety of weights, lighter AND heavy. I have a complete home gym, and I also go to the gym, and I have consluted with a personal trainer, in addition to almost completing the ACE and AFAA personal trainer courses myself.

I hate it when folks generalize from their body type and genetics and feel they can apply that to everyone.

My home gym:

[B]

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-02-10 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 03:09 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Good and timely post Dnvr-This year I've really had trouble losing some of those pounds I added over the winter. Usually I'm back down to under 170 pounds but I have had a really hard time of cracking the 170 barrier this year. I've had to really add mileage this year to get the weight off and just the last week or so am I finally seeing it come back down.

For those that are mid 50's+, are you seeing it getting harder to maintain weight?

I've seen on RBR the cheap book on "losing those last 10 points"-anyone ordered that and if so is it worth the money?

The things I've done over the years just don't seem to be as effective as in the past.
Old 06-02-10, 03:40 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
When I was 42 I dropped 70 lb. in 6 months on South Beach Diet. About 50 lb. crept back on since then. I loosely stick with the spirit of SBD without killing myself and now that the weather permits more riding I seem to be coming back down again. When I was on SBD I wasn't riding. I think if I went that carb-lite I wouldn't have the energy to get home at the end of the day. But a sensible diet and a lot of excercise seems to be doing the trick for me at the moment.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 06-02-10, 05:45 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Without ice cream, fame and fortune have no meaning.
I'm with you, TWL.
Old 06-02-10, 06:45 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You can beg all you want. You simply don't know what your talking about.

DF is absolutely correct. You cannot generalize your own experience on the rest of the population. Consider yourself blessed where some of us are not.

Myself - I can eat a 2000 cal/day diet and ride in excess of 100 miles/week and struggle to loose 1 lb/wk and still barely lower my % body fat (meaning I am loosing as much muscle as fat by percentage). I have to be very careful how hard I cut back and make sure to eat a lot of protein to avoid loosing muscle mass.
Old 06-02-10, 06:52 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
ugh - this thread is gonna suck soon
Old 06-02-10, 08:38 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've been "working out" regularly for 20 years. I have a lot of muscle, and I lift a variety of weights, lighter AND heavy. I have a complete home gym, and I also go to the gym, and I have consluted with a personal trainer, in addition to almost completing the ACE and AFAA personal trainer courses myself.

I hate it when folks generalize from their body type and genetics and feel they can apply that to everyone.

I think we on the same page. I hate it too, and to be clear. I am talking about the OP talking about 65+ or older people just fighting to keep from gaining weight/flab. Whereas, I look at the older years, I am just looking to get BETTER. As in getting stronger, more muscle, so forth and so on. If you go with that positive thoughts/thinking there is no room for negative happenings to come in, such as gaining UNWANTED WEIGHT.

On the other hand, it could be possible that you were talking about me, generalizing my body type and genitics and applying them to everybody. The only thing I was applying to EVERYBODY is a healthy lifestyle, which includes regular exercise, healthy diet, and comparable rest. Those points do apply to all body types and to everybody. However, I do think you were talking about the OP.

65+ is not a SLIDE DOWNWARD.. I don't even want to be around peeps that think that way, or just trying to survive. I am pushing forward to be better at 70 (very, very soon) to be better than I was at 60..
Old 06-02-10, 08:39 PM
Banned.

I think we on the same page. I hate it too, and to be clear. I am talking about the OP talking about 65+ or older people just fighting to keep from gaining weight/flab. Whereas, I look at the older years, I am just looking to get BETTER. As in getting stronger, more muscle, so forth and so on. If you go with that positive thoughts/thinking there is no room for negative happenings to come in, such as gaining UNWANTED WEIGHT.

On the other hand, it could be possible that you were talking about me, generalizing my body type and genitics and applying them to everybody. The only thing I was applying to EVERYBODY is a healthy lifestyle, which includes regular exercise, healthy diet, and comparable rest. Those points do apply to all body types and to everybody. However, I do think you were talking about the OP.

65+ is not a SLIDE DOWNWARD.. I don't even want to be around peeps that think that way, or just trying to survice. I am pushing forward to be better at 70 (very, very soon) to be better than I was at 60..
I AM the OP.

I am 70.5

I lift weights, stretch, do other resistance exercise, bicycle and swim daily.

Yes, I was talking about your generalizations.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-02-10 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 08:46 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I AM the OP.

I am 70.5

So, I gather you were talking about me generalizing and thinking my points apply to everyone.

I just listed the points that do apply to everyone.

In addition, if "I lift weights, stretch, do other resistance exercise, bicycle and swim daily" how is it that you find it hard to keep the weight off?

The above things will keep weight off and bring on good tone and muscle. Never get close to unwanted weight..

I am not a know it all, I just happened to be forturnate enough to be more healthy at 69 than I was at 35.. and sharing my thoughts..
Old 06-02-10, 08:49 PM
Banned.

So, I gather you were talking about me generalizing and thinking my points apply to everyone.

I just listed the points that do apply to everyone.

In addition, if "I lift weights, stretch, do other resistance exercise, bicycle and swim daily" how is it that you find it hard to keep the weight off?

The above things will keep weight off and bring on good tone and muscle. Never get close to unwanted weight..

I am not a know it all, I just happened to be forturnate enough to be more healthy at 69 than I was at 35.. and sharing my thoughts..
Exercise is good for practically everyone, including resistance training.

However, not everyone who engages in even intensive resistance training is going to be 6'3" and 135 pounds. Nor should they be. It is improper and inapproproate to even claim that folks who do what you do will look like you. Genetics, body type, cultural and other factors make a tremendous difference.

It is NOT black and white. There are many grays involved.

Are you claiming that I am lying about my exercising?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-02-10 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 08:51 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I AM the OP.

I am 70.5

Yes, I was talking about your generalizations.
Could you KINDLY show me where my "generalizations" don't apply to everyone**********??
Old 06-02-10, 08:54 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Exercise is good for practically everyone, including resistance training.

However, not everyone who engages in even intensive resistance training is going to be 6'3" and 135 pounds. Nor should they be. It is improper and inapproproate to even claim that folks who do what you do will look like you. Genetics, body type, cultural and other factors make a tremendous difference.

It is NOT black and white. There are many grays involved.
This not a crack, but a little reading comprehension needs to be employed here.

No Way in any of my post did I even get close to saying BE LIKE/LOOK LIKE ME..

I don't know where you got that from. I was talking about the way you summarized 65+ and the way you summarized UNWANTED WEIGHT GAIN.

That is what my points were aimed!!!
Old 06-02-10, 08:59 PM
Banned.

This not a crack, but a little reading comprehension needs to be employed here.

No Way in any of my post did I even get close to saying BE LIKE/LOOK LIKE ME..

I don't know where you got that from. I was talking about the way you summarized 65+ and the way you summarized UNWANTED WEIGHT GAIN.

That is what my points were aimed!!!
You stated:

"Anyone, no matter what their age, if they start working out regular, they will NOT have to worry about gaining weight/flab AFTER 65, the only thing they will have to worry about is getting TOO MUCH MUSCLE!!"

It is the fact you claim that folks will have too much muscle - which you previously compare with how you look, pictures and all - that I am referring to when I state you think folks will look like you-
Old 06-02-10, 09:04 PM
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Try losing weight while you're on Prednisone for life.
Old 06-02-10, 09:23 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You stated:

"Anyone, no matter what their age, if they start working out regular, they will NOT have to worry about gaining weight/flab AFTER 65, the only thing they will have to worry about is getting TOO MUCH MUSCLE!!"

It is the fact you claim that folks will have too much muscle - which you previously compare with how you look, pictures and all - that I am referring to when I state you think folks will look like you-
What we have here is a READING COMPREHENSION PROBLEM!!

First off, if anybody is GENERALIZING, it is you. You speak of 65+ as over the hill and they have to guard against gaining weight. Whearas, I go the other way, and say 65+ people if they WORKOUT, EAT HEALTHY AND GET GOOD REST, WILL not have to worry about GAINING UNWANTED WEIGHT but might have to worry about gaining too much muscle!

That is as PLAIN AS I can put it.

Sorry, I don't share your view of 65+..You are talking DEFENSIVE, am I am talking OFFENSIVE!!

Usually when talk of what I do, it may sound like BS/FIBS, especially the part where I am 6ft3in at 135. Most peeps picture a skelton or I am talking BS. So, I show the pictures. I NEVER said peeps could look like me or that even anybody wanted to look like me. I sense some complex there..

Once again, my rebuttal was the way you talked about 65+. I am a few months away from 70 years old, so I fall in that group, and I had a right to respond. I am sorry you took it that way.

But, one thing I have learned in my 69.8 years is that people that care about you tell you like it is, and that might not be what you want to hear.

Old 06-02-10, 09:26 PM
Banned.

Please reread my original post:

How many of you are having to fight harder and harder to maintain (or lose) weight as you gain more years?

I have managed to lose a few pounds with extreme effort. I probably burn about 7,000 KCal extra (from a non-exercising person) each week from swimming, weight lifting and bicycling, and I have just about cut out all sweets, eat veggies, fruit, chicken, little red meat, no fast food, etc., etc. But, I always have to work at it, and still need to shed about 10 more pounds.

I am proud to say that I went on a 7 day cruise and did lose 2 pounds. But, hey, it is tough!!

Old 06-02-10, 10:10 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Please reread my original post:

I did, and got the same influx of 65+ people have to DEFEND against gaining unwanted weight.

Now, reread my original response, and take of the blinders, and get somebody else to help you with the reading. And see if they come up with the same conclusions you did..

----

I am 6ft3in tall, and I hit the scales at 136. And the funny thing is I am all muscle.. No fat.. Plus, I am 69 years old.

How is this so? First, I am an ectomorph body type, second, I workout at the gym 5 to 6 days a week, third, I eat healthy, get rest, and don't worry about things.

I know, it is hard to picture somebody 6"3' at 135 lbs, you figure you looking at a walking skelton..

IMO, if everybody did those 3 points, they too, would shed flab, and be healthy according to their body type.

Most people think I am telling a fib, so here a few pics of a 69 year old man. The lady is my wife.

https://www.cehoward.net/bike28.jpg

https://www.cehoward.net/lowweight1.jpg

https://www.cehoward.net/6fix.jpg

https://www.cehoward.net/ext1.jpg

It all boils down to one's lifestyle. In my humble old opinion, regular workouts at the gym are PRICELESS, no doubt about it, PURE DEE PRICELESS.

----
Old 06-02-10, 10:14 PM
Banned.

I see no point in further discussion. Obviously, we have different takes on this, and, as for me, I will agree to disagree. Congratulations on your 135 pounds. That is a great achievement.

Keep bicycling, lifting weights and eating correctly. That is a good prescription for all, no matter what the weight or loss or gain.
Old 06-02-10, 10:28 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I see no point in further discussion. Obviously, we have different takes on this, and, as for me, I will agree to disagree. Congratulations on your 135 pounds. That is a great achievement.

Keep bicycling, lifting weights and eating correctly. That is a good prescription for all, no matter what the weight or loss or gain.
"Congratulations on your 135 pounds" ********************?

That is where your reading comprehension slipped. No offense, but my response was NEVER about me!! That is your intepretation. My response was about 65+ people are normal people too. You talking about weight coming on at 65+. I go way beyond that, and say "don't even go there", talk about putting on muscle..The supersedes the negative. Like I said again, you talking about DEFENSE, I am talking about OFFENSE.

You took OFFENSE at me talking about offense. That is all what my response, pictures, was about. However, you twisted it around and said I was trying to say everybody "get like me".. 100000 miles from the meaning of my post.

I see no point neither in this discussion. I think POSITIVE, always did..Never going into that defensive move, always thinking offensive. That is where we differ...

Safe peddlin to you,
Old 06-03-10, 04:56 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
You can beg all you want. You simply don't know what your talking about.
Ha, two people with READING COMPREHENISIONS PROBLEMS IN THE SAME THREAD!!

Since you are being the "yes man" on this, would you kindly show me where in my thread, where I don't know what I am talking about??

I preach, regular exercise, healthy diet, and rest, one doesn't have to worrying about gaining UNWANTED WAIT.

Now, DWELL ON THAT, GO BACK MY POST, and SEE WHAT YOU COME UP WITH!!

DF is absolutely correct. You cannot generalize your own experience on the rest of the population. Consider yourself blessed where some of us are not.
Yes I can RELATE MY EXPERIENCE in the BENIFITS of regular exercise, healthy diet, and rest. YES I CAN

Myself - I can eat a 2000 cal/day diet and ride in excess of 100 miles/week and struggle to loose 1 lb/wk and still barely lower my % body fat (meaning I am loosing as much muscle as fat by percentage). I have to be very careful how hard I cut back and make sure to eat a lot of protein to avoid loosing muscle mass.

Simple answer there, ALTER YOUR WORKOUT!!

Example, as you can see, I need very little cardio. My workouts consist of 70% weight training, 15% stretching, and 15% cardio. Whearas, you might need, 50% cardio, 40%weight training, and 10% stretching.

I have seen 300 women, knock it all the way down to a sweet knockout 140lbs. I have seen men, flabby all over, turn into sheets of muscle. It all boils down to training the correct way.

If you would CAREFULLY read my original response, I said this "IMO, if everybody did those 3 points, they too, would shed flab, and be healthy according to their body type."

Where is that GENERALIZING**********?

Last edited by cehowardGS; 06-03-10 at 04:59 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.