Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are You A Salty Old Cyclist?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-10, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

I believe I am. I believe I qualify as a salty old cyclist.

But what is the definition of a "salty" person?

I believe there are different kinds of salty people.

There is the individual who seems to be adept at the use of expletives. During my high school years, the father of a friend taught me a little about shooting and reloading. This gentleman was what we called a "dirt contractor". He owned and used heavy equipment. He was an artist with heavy equipment and expletives. He was reputed to have been able to stand nose to radiator with a malfunctioning D10 bull dozer and curse it back into operation. Having been the recipient of a couple of his barrages, I believe what was said of him. This man was salty. But I don't qualify as salty under that definition. Even though I was in the USMC and remember much of that vocabulary, I'm trying to be a little more circumspect in my old age.

Then there are those like the two gentlemen in the movie Second Hand Lions. They qualified as salty because of the lives they led, the way they lived life, their adventures, and the stories they could tell. They were salty. Alas, I don't qualify in that sense, either. Would that I could.

No, I believe I qualify under a simpler definition, that being one of the basic compounds of life, sodium chloride (NaCl).

To wit:

It has been a bit toasty here in northwest Arkansas for the last few weeks. The photo below gives the order of magnitude.

This school is about a mile from the beginning of my ride this afternoon. When I began today's ride, the sign read 102. I didn't feel like stopping at the time, so I took the pic immediately after the ride.

In some locations, the binder for the pavement was beginning to bubble up. Not only could I see it, but I could hear it as the sound from the tires was different as I rode through patches of this stuff. I tried to avoid it as I could to keep it from coating the frame. It was toasty enough that I was able to inscribe the word HOT in the pavement with the toe of my shoe.

With reference to another current thread, this was entirely a "pointless" ride, and I exercised due caution in the heat. I took a couple of breaks in the shade, drank at least 72 oz of Gatorade, took a couple of Endurolytes, took my time, and enjoyed the flora and the fauna along the way; although, some of the flora was wilted from the heat and lack of rain. I could relate to this.

So, why am I a salty old cyclist? When I got home, I took note of the shorts and the gloves.

The shorts after yesterday's ride, a little over twice as long and with a lot more hills, were even saltier, but I was shot and did not feel particularly photographic at the time.

Soooooo, I suppose I am a salty old cyclist. How about you?
Old 08-22-10, 08:28 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,479 Times in 3,223 Posts
Well, that is something.

I can only get those salt rimes in winter and spring. Right now down here in the low country sweat accumulates not evaporates.

Hey, but I can cuss a dead dog back in the hunt...
Old 08-22-10, 08:46 PM
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old? That's subjective, but I suppose to some 55 is old.

Salty? I generally get creative rather than coarse with my expletives and put-downs, so not sure if I qualify.

Salt? Didn't see it even after the infamous impromptu "Double Metric of Death" with other demented members of the Shreveport Bicycle Club in the late 1980s. Didn't see it on my solo ride in 105F heat-index weather last May.

Don't know . . .
Old 08-22-10, 09:00 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
For some reason I'm saltier this summer than previously.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 08-23-10, 08:14 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My dog must think I'm salty, as her licking goes on double time when I return from rides!
Old 08-23-10, 03:00 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I never see salt on my gloves, bibs or jersey. But when I get caught in a rain shower the stuff running down my face tastes salty.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-23-10, 03:48 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Wow, I am just not used to that kind of heat any more. I grew up in it, but now it would kill me.

Great pics, btw.

FYI: It was 51 degrees when I left my house today on my bike; I wore arm warmers to work. No salt, but my nose was runny so my gloves look at lot like yours.
Old 08-23-10, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my take on salt that I learned from the Master. Salt preserves things or makes them taste better. When my words of actions are joyously received or are helping some one hang in there Then yes I'm a salty old goat.

Joe
Old 08-23-10, 05:53 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Well, if you eat a lot of canned soup, I guess you could be a salty old cyclist.