Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   What age is the beginning of "old"? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/67729-what-age-beginning-old.html)

Red Baron 09-25-04 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by boilermaker1
I, on the other hand, have no preconceived notions of what acting old is supposed to be or how one is supposed to feel when old. I'm the same fella I've always been, just older.

Ahhhh - now we start to think alike. And a good day to you sir! Sincerely hope many good rides in your future.

plain.jim 09-26-04 03:03 AM

This one is easy. "Old" starts about ten years older than whatever age I am.

Seriously, though, I know I don't heal as quickly as I did twenty years ago; I'm physically less flexible; I have some complaints that come with the mileage on my body. But in everything else, I was an idiot then (OK, I was even more of an idiot then). In fact, the case could be made that I'm younger now than I was in my thirties: I'm in better physical shape; I'm more flexible in every other way than physical; I'm willing to try more stuff; I'm more openminded generally.

We get a series of gains and losses in life. It's too simple to say that "when one door closes, another opens"; the door that opens may lead to a place we'd rather not go! Maybe I've just been lucky enough to be satisfied with what I have. But my life is good, and it looks like it will continue that way.

cyclezealot 09-26-04 03:12 AM

This Gene that rides with us once in awhile..He is 80 and amazing. Climbs better than many 30 years younger.

oldspark 09-26-04 06:38 AM

I was "old" when I was 40 lbs heavier and not riding, now I have lost a lot of those years along with the weight. Just remember youth is wasted on the young.

GeezerGeek 09-26-04 02:56 PM

The secret of staying young while you grow old is to be in denial of aging. But, that is getting harder every year because the body keeps getting better at reminding the brain of what is happening to all of its parts.

Retro Grouch 09-26-04 03:56 PM

Old is whatever age you happen to be when you think that being a certain age is what makes you old. To put it another way, you don't stop riding your bike because you get old, you get old because you stopped riding your bike.

hockey 09-26-04 06:23 PM

Old is when you can't get out of the bed in the morning, or don't want to get out of bed in the morning. I am one of the lucky ones (so far) staying reasonably healthy. 6600 kms this year and a 2 hour 40 minute triathlon. My wife struggles with RA every day. She loves to cycle but is often limited by her health. I think that maintaining a positive attitude is the most important factor in feeling young....er!
Hockey

boilermaker1 09-26-04 08:43 PM

One can be old and feel young. I feel better than I've felt in years but don't need to bullsh*t myself that I'm young to do it. I've always thought that to bullsh*t yourself was a bad thing, yet here I find people who think it's a virtue and beneficial. That's just too "California" for this hard-nosed old West-Side Chicago Irish guy.

zonatandem 09-26-04 09:19 PM

Age 72/miles 3652 so far this year.

lotek 09-27-04 07:39 AM

There are some days when I feel really old, but they are few and far
between.
I used to think my father was old, but then I realised that even though
he doesn't ride, he does play tennis 4 or 5 times a week, and can still run
me ragged on the courts.
Yes, I am not as young as I once was but I'm in better shape than I was when
I was in my 20s.
my glass is most definately half full.

Marty

gabiker 09-27-04 08:34 AM

We have a guy that is 77 years young that rode Cycle NC with us 2 years ago and finished at least 50 miles a day for 6 days straight and he is still at it. If you tell him your 50 he says great your only half way there. In Bicycle Mag 2 months ago there is an article on a 90 year old in St Pete , FL that still rides about 30 miles a day and keeps up with a lot of the 30 year olds so who is to say how long any of us will live. Does the government have control over this?

I think God knows and when your number is up it is up; all we can do is try to stay healthy while we are here and not worry about the rest. We not only have to have a healthy body but a healthy mind and if you start thinking unhealthy then you will be.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't your absolutely right...

LittleBigMan 10-09-04 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by boilermaker1
Since one has no control over one's age I don't see why one should be ashamed of being old or interested in denying it.

Frankly, I don't understand why so many people are obsessed with looking young. Just be yourself and be happy with it, I say.

One thing for sure: it's a destination everyone's headed for, so buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Eureka 10-09-04 05:47 PM

Age is a state of mind. I see people in their 50's who go out and grab the gusto everyday. Then I see people in their 50's who have already given up.
And yet I notice this phenomenon whereby someone young in attitude, if not years, suddenly turns "old" after something happens to them - surgery, a fall, etc. It's as if there spirit suffers and they can't recuperate.

Anyone have any idea what I am talking about, and how to combat it when it happens?

DnvrFox 10-09-04 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Eureka
And yet I notice this phenomenon whereby someone young in attitude, if not years, suddenly turns "old" after something happens to them - surgery, a fall, etc. It's as if there spirit suffers and they can't recuperate.

Anyone have any idea what I am talking about, and how to combat it when it happens?

I am going through that right now.

After years of eating correctly, getting cardio regularly, no coffee, no alcohol, never smoking, I ended up in the emergency ward and the hospital 1.5 weeks ago with continuous "atrial fibrillation." I mean it never stops, and was beating about 155 bpm.

I am now on a regimen of Cumadin, Beta blockers, digoxin to slow the damn thing down and attempt to prevent strokes..

I told my wife, "I don't know who I am, or what I can do."

Slowly, I am beginning to rediscover my limits and limitations. There is so much I don't know about this condition, and if you read the google searches, they scare you to death, so I stopped reading them.

I NEVER expected something like this. The last time I had my heart checked, the person stated, "You have a very youthful heartbeat."

My rate was right about 59-60.

I have discovered it is not uncommon (10% over 75 have it), and I have met folks who have pretty normal lives.

I will try the cardioversion - to shock it back into normalcy - in about 3-4 weeks, but that works long-term for only about 50% of folks, and the fact that my fibrillation is continuous is not in my favor.

Anyway, it was a real shocker, so to speak. I am not invincible, my carefully laid plans about bicycling into my 80's have been just a bit messed up, but maybe not.

Just getting used to this new damaged electrical system in my heart, and I don't like this AT ALL!

I have had some mild depression, but I have a pretty positive and hopeful outlook, and I have been biking a few times already. That helps a lot. ALso, taking loonngg walks with my wife helps.

fandango 10-14-04 10:59 AM

I look at it like this. At least when you're 50 + you're more likely able to afford a killer bike.

DougG 10-16-04 08:09 AM

The guy that used to run the health club that I belonged to seemed so old and serious in his manner that I always looked on him as a sort of "father figure." I respected him highly, but he just seemed like he was of another generation. I was then quite floored at his retirement when I found out that he was actually a few months younger than I am!

The other day, I was talking to one of the managers at the place where I work -- a guy several years younger than I am -- and he came across as another guy who seems much older than I am. Let's put it this way: he was talking proudly about his new Buick Park Avenue; I drive a BMW 325 with a manual trans. I think that sums up how difficult it is to define "old age!"

Doug G

SSP 10-16-04 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by DougG
The other day, I was talking to one of the managers at the place where I work -- a guy several years younger than I am -- and he came across as another guy who seems much older than I am. Let's put it this way: he was talking proudly about his new Buick Park Avenue; I drive a BMW 325 with a manual trans. I think that sums up how difficult it is to define "old age!"

A Park Avenue!!?? Man...I hope I never get that old!

FWIW, I'm 51 and drive a bright blue Subaru WRX (manual, of course).

pauncho 10-16-04 03:37 PM

My friends and family all know how to tell when I've gotten old. I'll be old when the bad weather at an NFL playoff game is a reason not to go, instead of part of the adventure.

And the funniest thing I do every year is checking into the hotel at the end of the first day of TOSRV, presenting my AARP membership card and demanding my senior citizen discount.

Brianwh 10-22-04 05:25 PM

Yep. You really _are_ old.

Some say you're as old as you feel. I say I'm as old as I act.

Turned 50 this year, so I'm headed into middle age... assuming I live to be 100.

Brianwh 10-22-04 09:07 PM

My brother-in-law suffered heart arhythmia and a stroke which left a blind spot in his vision. But it seems that his spirit suffered more than anything. His wife, my oldest sister, seems obsessed with preparing for death... Our mother and father, who never exercised in their lives and abused food (British cooking) and alcohol as long as I can remember, lived into their 80s. That means my sister has 20+ years of life, yet she's ready for the end now...

Finaly, a high school friend of my wife and me had a problem similar to my brother in law, but with paralysis on the left side. Again, she seemed more injured in spirit than anything. I used to love to make her laugh, but I don't remember her laughing after her stroke. She caught a cold. Five days later, her sister called to tell us she was dead.

Biketo120 11-05-04 10:28 PM

Here's how I do the math to compute middle age:

Brian, if you are going to live to 100 (with health and medical advancements could be 120 - in fact I know a great great grandmother whose grandmother lived to 120), since the first 20 years you're just a kid (University of Chicago study says you are not a full adult until about age 26); 100 - 20 = 80 / 2 = 40 + 20 (the age of adulthood) = 60. So, middle age of adulthood is about 60. Or using the alternative set of numbers: 120 - 26 = 94 / 2 = 47 + 26 = 71. Maybe middle age is not until your 70's and old isn't until more than 100!!!

I plan to bike to age 120.

Biketo120 11-06-04 09:09 PM

Well, I hope to bike to age 120.

offtheback 11-23-04 05:00 PM

Young is meaningless, something you can do nothing about.......nothing at all. But youth is a quality and if you have it, you never lose it. Frank Lloyd Wright

DnvrFox 11-23-04 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by offtheback
Young is meaningless, something you can do nothing about.......nothing at all. But youth is a quality and if you have it, you never lose it. Frank Lloyd Wright

That is a GREAT quote!

Thanks.

I needed that today.

offtheback 11-24-04 11:45 PM

Sounds like the lyrics from a Radiohead song. ......." just cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there"