Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   What age is the beginning of "old"? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/67729-what-age-beginning-old.html)

CRUM 11-29-04 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
One of the signs of "old" is failure to completely read instructions!

My wife would disagree. She would contend that failure to read directions completely is a sign that the reader is male.

bkaapcke 10-11-05 07:26 PM

My father in law (87yrs) says you know you are old when; If it doesn't hurt, it doesn't work. He says I'll know all about it when it arrives. Something to look forward to? bk

Digital Gee 10-11-05 08:39 PM

I was getting old this year. (I'm 54, about to be 55 in a couple of weeks.) Parts were hurting, I was slowing down, it took too long to get off the couch or out of the bathtub. I had things to complain about from my head to my toes, literally. (Of course, no one would listen)

I bought a bike in June. Felt like a kid (with a sore butt, but hey) on my new bike. I've been getting stronger and younger ever since.

I still grin like an idiot when I top 20 mph; I still think of my bike just like I did when I was a kid -- a freedom machine.

Maybe I won't be as strong as I was in my twenties, but who knows? I could EASILY become as strong as I was twenty years ago, and then I can maintain that for a long time, God willing.

I'm not old. I'm getting younger every ride.

GrannyGear 10-11-05 08:46 PM

Perhaps we should all read Tennyson's poem "Ulysses", which concludes:

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in the old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal-temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

No denial of creeping mortality or diminishment of body-- humans don't ever "drop" mother nature. It is in the heroic heart that we FiftyPlussers all take rightful refuge.......any 62 year old out at dawn gathering miles at any speed has already morally and spiritually beaten the steel-thighed youth who blew by him. You're old when you no longer get out of bed in the morning and embrace life with your heart and mind. Will Dehne and the rest of you here are young; some 28 year old watching tv game shows seems older by far.
;)

DnvrFox 10-11-05 09:15 PM

I am always amazed when a thread that died 11/29/2004 somehow gets revived a year later.

Do folks go searching for old threads to revive?

Strange.

cruzMOKS 10-11-05 09:15 PM

I look at getting old in 2 ways:
You are getting old when you are not as good as you used to be. (competive)
You are old when you quit. (quality of life)

michaelnel 10-12-05 04:55 AM

I became aware that I am old when I realized I would rather go to dinner at this gal's house:

http://www.oxo.com/dynimages/recipe_...ianich_lrg.jpg

...than go on a hot date with this one:

http://britneyspears.ac/images/bs1.jpg

jackb 10-12-05 09:05 AM

Of course "Old" can mean different things to different people. A person is mentally old when all the joy that might come from living no longer matters to them. A person is physically old when they are tottering around, unable to function normally. We do get physically old, but that old depends on how well we take care of ourselves, genes, and luck. Eventually, I probably will get physically old, though some folks can remain remarkably fit and able in their seventies. I have know a few spry folks in their eighties. Mental old is the thing to guard against. Life can be fulfilling and enjoyable for its entire duration if we can keep the right attitude. At 57, I am only old in terms of years lived-years left to live. Physically, I'm in good shape and I've been lucky. Mentally, I'm active, alert, and alive to the possibilities that my remaining life holds. All this does not mean that I see some grand purpose in life or that I am not saddened by the passing of time and my youth, but I try to make the best of things. I'm still alive, so I believe I ought to enjoy the experience as much as possible. By the way, I attribute much of my health and positive attitude to cycling. I've been doing it all my life in one form or another. A nice glass of red wine helps things a whole lot as well.

michaelnel 10-12-05 10:16 AM

You guys are no fun.

rck 10-12-05 10:43 AM

I define middle-age as anyone who is at least ten years older than I. Without giving it a lot of thought-old would probably mean anyone who is burned, buried or disposed of in the manner of their choice! In other words: the day I stop moving is the day I become old.

BJ Ondo 10-14-05 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by boilermaker1
Since one has no control over one's age I don't see why one should be ashamed of being old or interested in denying it.

I have to agree, it's like a SIN if you tell someone you feel "OLD"!! I've got Reiter's Syndrome, IBS, reacurring painful hemoraids and some days I just feel OLD!! Yes, the cycling has helped, I've lost 2 inches in my wasitline and dropped some pounds and I really enjoy riding my bicycle, I've even come appreciate "HILLS" for the workout but I can tell after 4 hrs. of labor at my job, the pain in my ankles and knees, ect. that I'm not getting any younger and I don't fool myself, your right there's a lot fewer years ahead of me than behind but I don't dwell on it for too long as I'm trying to get as many enjoyable moments and memories before the physcial won't let me do anything but recall the memories! :)

Cycling has to stay FUN, I don't train, do intervals, watch a heart monitor, (Gad going up the big hills here in Colorado, I'd probably die of HeartAttack, watching the monitor!!), I just RIDE and yes, sometimes after a good ride, I don't move fast and I even hurt a bit but it was such a enjoyable thing while it was happening, it was worth the pain and feeling OLD!

zonatandem 10-14-05 05:09 PM

Old is a state of mind.
Only 72, with only 3600 miles under the tires so far this year.
What's you excuse?

glassman 10-14-05 06:29 PM

Ok, cycling makes us all feel younger and healther which makes us feel physically better but is there a study that says cycling helps us mentally as well?

DnvrFox 10-14-05 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by glassman
Ok, cycling makes us all feel younger and healther which makes us feel physically better but is there a study that says cycling helps us mentally as well?

There are all sorts of studies that show that challenging your mind in any dimension is healthy for your mind - be that crossword puzzles, balance, or making all the decisions necessary to successfully negotiate a trail, road or other place your bike might be taking you.

Do a Google on:

physical activity mental ability aging

the results are too numerous to list here.

gew0419 10-15-05 07:11 AM

old is my age plus twenty...at any given time.
i.e. now old is 70, but when I am 70 old will be 90.
this way, as someone said, I'm getting "older", but I will never be "old."

gew0419 10-15-05 07:15 AM

Life expectancy in The United States is 77 years. That means that at 55 years of age you have alot more behind you than ahead of you. You're getting old. You sure aren't new.

Such thinking as "you're only as old as you feel" is wishful thinking and displays the modern American middle-class penchant for ignoring inconvenient facts behind a smokescreen of cheer, good fellowship and empty optimism. As though impersonal facts can be changed by having a proper personal attitude. Doesn't work.

Such an attitude also betrays an immature and shallow feeling that there's something wrong with being old, that's it's something to be ashamed of and so vigorously denied. Since one has no control over one's age I don't see why one should be ashamed of being old or interested in denying it.

that's deep!

gew0419 10-15-05 07:21 AM

Let me state one more thing and I'll let this go; I don't mean to be a pest.

I don't think that the recognition that one is getting old means that one must start slowing down or that one's attitudes should be determined by one's age.

On the other hand I fail to see how simply recognizing that one is getting old will make one change his attitudes either. It seems to me that some of you folks think you have to deny being old in order to avoid acting old, whatever that means to you, somebad bad evidently.

I, on the other hand, have no preconceived notions of what acting old is supposed to be or how one is supposed to feel when old. I'm the same fella I've always been, just older.

In other words...I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up. That's my motto. :D

gew0419 10-15-05 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I am always amazed when a thread that died 11/29/2004 somehow gets revived a year later.

Do folks go searching for old threads to revive?

Strange.

There's an analogy here somewhere...an old thread about getting old comes back to life...ummmmm.

DnvrFox 10-15-05 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by gew0419
There's an analogy here somewhere...an old thread about getting old comes back to life...ummmmm.

Man, with that I will go and get on my trainer for an hour.

Oops, too old at 65 to do that.

Hmm!

Perhaps go back to bed?

No, think I will give the trainer a go. After all, I am only as old as I think, and I am thinking about being 20 this am. :D

DnvrFox 10-15-05 08:18 AM

Those Spinervals really give you a workout.

Taking a few moments break here to let my heart rate get down below 100.

I am doing, "No Slackers Left Behind" which requires almost 100% output.

It is designed for triathletes, racers, etc.

Lots of high speed intervals (120 cadence or more) lots of stnding, cycling through all the gears at constant cadence.

I challenge any other 50+r to join me in this video!

You will be surprised at how difficult this may be.

Originally Posted by B.J.Ondo
Cycling has to stay FUN, I don't train, do intervals, watch a heart monitor, (Gad going up the big hills here in Colorado, I'd probably die of HeartAttack, watching the monitor!!

Hey, B.J. Ondo - this if FUN for me. :D Strange as it may seem to you, we all have different ideas of "riding for fun"

DnvrFox 10-15-05 08:39 AM

Man, that felt great! 40 minutes of intensive, interval oriented workouts.

As I get back in shape, I will increase the resistance on my trainer for more of a challenge!

Should be a beautiful day for a ride later on. That is, a ride for fun - you know - hills, high speeds - fun!

GrannyGear 10-15-05 10:39 AM

Old is when women who, years ago, looked like they could be friends of your mother now look like damned attractive babes.

Digital Gee 10-15-05 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by GrannyGear
Old is when women who, years ago, looked like they could be friends of your mother now look like damned attractive babes.

It took 73 posts, but finally, we nailed it. Thanks, GG!

:beer:

Mojo Slim 10-15-05 11:15 AM

Anyway, cool graphics.

peterjcb 10-16-05 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by GrannyGear

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Old is the inability to adapt. Always think young and explore new things. :beer: