Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

OT-although possibly pertinent to the group

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 11:45 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

As I was 20' up in the air cleaning out gutters last week, I couldn't help but look down and think about how far 20' really is. It certainly looks a lot farther at 60 than it did when I bought the house 26 years ago! Then a few days later, I awoke to the sound of water dripping onto the pillow next to me. (It was during a storm with a lot of wind and rain) I could probably stand to finish replacing the windows and the place needs a some interior cosmetic work. I can afford to have the work done, however, when all is said and done, it would be a lot of money to spend so that the bats, termites and cat can live in a comfortable and good looking house. They do spend a lot more time there than I do. Additionally,maintaining the place is going to become more problematic as the years roll on by. You can see where this kind of thinking might lead.

Against the annoyance, for me, of home ownership, there is the advantage of knowing and being friends with most of my neighbors. Additionally, Skipper's, my riding partner, backyard borders mine making ride planning really easy. His wife makes really good elderberry pie (Stop for a moment to enjoy the small pun), there's always ice cream and he has a really nice deck.

Now I'm not asking for this group to make a decision for me. Truth be told, I'm to lazy at the moment to really give a lot of consideration to moving. I can't help but think, however, that its the kind of thing to which I should give some thought. Anyone else thinking along these lines?
Old 11-16-10, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some things are worth paying for. Getting up on ladders is one of them. My children would revolt if we sold the house. Going to my parents' house, where I grew up, is still a thrill. Besides, my wife has way too much fabric in the sewing room to move.
Old 11-16-10, 12:15 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
We're not quite 50 yet, and actually we are thinking of moving... from the urban sprawl suburbs closer into the urban core (and the local bike culture). Looking into moving to a historic neighborhood (homes like this). But there is also the sense that once we move, this is it.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-16-10, 01:08 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
My plans call for one day selling my 5 bedroom house in exchange for a bike cabin in the mountains.
Old 11-16-10, 01:10 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I used to be a rock climbing instructor in the forces- but I am still looking for a safer route up onto the gutters.

Good job I have 2 son-in-laws.

My problem is that I turn into one of the "Harry Enfield" characters whenever I get them to do a job- "You don't want to do it that way"- so I just have to point them in the right direction and go away. And then when they have done the job- I go back and do it properly.

Have a Willow tree that needs to come down in the garden and I know when the pair of them do it for me- The 3 adjacent trees are going to get wrecked and the Chicken coup that is under it will need rebuilding.

Edit---The majority of houses in Britain are brick built. Not a great deal of repairs to be done to the fabric of the house except painting the few bits of wood and clearing the gutters. And about the only pest we would get is woodworm in the rafters and the close proximity of the neighbours. Just like the houses in the attachment. This is a vilage called Firle and no ne of the houses pictured is younger than 100 years old. Just hope my 25 years old Brick and mortar house will last this long

Firle..jpg

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 11-16-10 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-16-10, 01:16 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I work for a company that does advertising for companies providing siding, roofing, bathroom upgrades and sunrooms.

You can't move, I need you!

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 11-16-10, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Do I think of moving? Everytime I; have to cut the grass, trim the grass, rake the leaves, any thing need painting, when the plumbing needs repair/upgrade, when I hear the "tree rats" in the wall, or see the holes they make in the garage roof. Every time I have to clean the roof scuppers, take down a tree, shovel the snow, have the septic pumped. The list goes on and on. But I have a yard for my mutts to run in, my kids have(had) trees to climb, and swing from, my son could use his bow and arrow, and paintball gun with out bother, there are all manner of wild life that lives/walks through my yard. I have a place I built to sit and have a beer when the work is done, or have a morning coffee, I can have a campfire inside or out. I can ride laps on my bike around the yard(the knobbies kinda of upset the wife).. There is always a good and bad side to every coin. The leaves really suck though.
Old 11-16-10, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
...Just paid an arm and a leg to have a new furnace installed two weeks ago; I should never have been a homeowner.

I'm afraid we're dug in too deep to move...I'll probably die here. Woe is me.
Old 11-16-10, 02:27 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Skimming through the post.

If the question is "Should I go 60 feet up a ladder for any reason in the universe?" the answer is "No".
Old 11-16-10, 03:45 PM

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Home, sweet home.
https://www.leaf-relief.com/
Old 11-16-10, 03:56 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
We've never owned a house, always owned condos or townhouses. As the youngest son and youngest grandchild, I did enough yard work in my youth to know it was not something I enjoyed. I still have the inside stuff to work on but don't have to be bothered with any exterior stuff (actually, I have four flower pots - two on the front patio and two on the rear patio - with cacti in them but they have yet to require any maintenance). I find plenty to keep me occupied on weekends without yard work or exterior maintenance (like, for instance, riding a bike).

There are downsides. There are Rules and Regulations to follow but in over two decades of ownership in three different associations, they have usually been more of a positive than a negative (but there are nightmare associtations out there so do some homework before buying - it also helps to get involved and attend board meetings or join the board).

Are there times I wished we had a "real house", yes. But they are quickly forgotten when we return from a three week vacation and catching up on all my yard work involves nothing more than a quick sweep of the patio. We had one neighbor that lived six months in our community and six months in New York. Basically just locked the door when they left and had a neighbor keep an eye on the place. Not a bad way to live IMHO.
Old 11-16-10, 04:34 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I hate yardwork as much as I detest actually working on a bike!!

I pay to have the yard mowed - it costs me $700 per year for professional mowers from about April through November - and it is well worth it. My wife, especially, knows that the yard WILL be mowed.

I get a kick out of folks who sell their house because of "keeping up the yard." They will take thousands of dollars in loss (in today's market), pay huge realtor fees, pay big moving costs, etc., when they could easily solve their problems at a moderate cost by hiring it out.

As far as ladders, etc., I just don't do that any more. I have some friends who have new hips from falls - and that new hip - in pain, discomfort, recovery, etc., costs a lot more than hiring someone who knows what they are doing.

In any event, I love my "man cave" in the basement and we love our open and spacious house, and I doubt we will be moving any time soon.

One thing some folks fail to consider as we get older (71 nd 73) is ease and closeness of medical care. I have no desire to move to the boonies. I want to be near all sorts of services - medical, grocery, etc.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-16-10 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-16-10, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rck
As I was 20' up in the air cleaning out gutters last week, I couldn't help but look down and think about how far 20' really is. It certainly looks a lot farther at 60 than it did when I bought the house 26 years ago! Then a few days later, I awoke to the sound of water dripping onto the pillow next to me. (It was during a storm with a lot of wind and rain) I could probably stand to finish replacing the windows and the place needs a some interior cosmetic work. I can afford to have the work done, however, when all is said and done, it would be a lot of money to spend so that the bats, termites and cat can live in a comfortable and good looking house. They do spend a lot more time there than I do. Additionally,maintaining the place is going to become more problematic as the years roll on by. You can see where this kind of thinking might lead.

Against the annoyance, for me, of home ownership, there is the advantage of knowing and being friends with most of my neighbors. Additionally, Skipper's, my riding partner, backyard borders mine making ride planning really easy. His wife makes really good elderberry pie (Stop for a moment to enjoy the small pun), there's always ice cream and he has a really nice deck.

Now I'm not asking for this group to make a decision for me. Truth be told, I'm to lazy at the moment to really give a lot of consideration to moving. I can't help but think, however, that its the kind of thing to which I should give some thought. Anyone else thinking along these lines?
First and most importantly, the risk of climbing the ladder to clean the gutters is NOT worth it. My professional window washer took a bad fall and his leg is a mess. It's not worth it. I get nervous just going up to change the front lightbulb at 12'.

When you consider moving, think of what you'd be giving up in the neighborhood as well. Sounds like you're happy, and there is value to that. DnvrFox made some great comments.
Old 11-16-10, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well....you need to use the New Math Of Shelter. The days of having guaranteed income off selling a house are long gone. Over the last 10 or so years I've always counseled people to make the financial part of their housing choice by comparing total costs of the alternatives. For most people that results in renting, not owning their shelter. That is a big difference from the old days when we were raised.

By the time you factor in all the maintenance you cite you may be able to go to a nice rental and be money ahead.

The other part of the calculation in non-monetary and is how much you value one particular life style over another. Some folks just prefer certain styles of living and are willing to pay for it. If that is you then just do it.

Oh yes, climbing the ladder: If you hire someone be sure you cover your liability bases. Wouldn't want the neighborhood handyman falling and then living off you for the rest of his life, now would we?
Old 11-16-10, 07:43 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
We're not quite 50 yet, and actually we are thinking of moving... from the urban sprawl suburbs closer into the urban core (and the local bike culture). Looking into moving to a historic neighborhood (homes like this). But there is also the sense that once we move, this is it.
$189,900? In the Boston 'burbs, that would easily be a quarter million. No, I'm not joking. High housing costs are one of the primary reasons people are leaving this state in droves. It's enough that MA will most likely lose a congressional seat in the near future.
Old 11-16-10, 07:50 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Latitude65
Well....you need to use the New Math Of Shelter. The days of having guaranteed income off selling a house are long gone. Over the last 10 or so years I've always counseled people to make the financial part of their housing choice by comparing total costs of the alternatives. For most people that results in renting, not owning their shelter. That is a big difference from the old days when we were raised.

By the time you factor in all the maintenance you cite you may be able to go to a nice rental and be money ahead.
This depends on whether you are talking current costs or long-term costs. It may be cheaper to rent short-term but rents will rise. Maybe not for several years but they will eventually go up. A fixed-rate mortgage stays constant. There will be some increase in taxes, insurance and maintenance, but these increases are typically fairly minor in the overall picture. And at some point, the mortgage payment disappears. If you look at monthly costs over a couple of decades, owning can make economic sense. And if the property appreciates, all the better.
Old 11-16-10, 07:52 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Removing the mortgage interest tax deduction will change the math a bit!
Old 11-16-10, 08:15 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
$189,900? In the Boston 'burbs, that would easily be a quarter million. No, I'm not joking. High housing costs are one of the primary reasons people are leaving this state in droves. It's enough that MA will most likely lose a congressional seat in the near future.
And that's not the cheapest decent house in that neighborhood. The homes start about $130k. For a quarter mil, you get a house with servants quarters and stuff. The neighborhood was build 1900-1930.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-16-10, 08:17 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I've been mowing half of West Texas for the last twenty years. We have tentative plans to sell a big chunk of business in 2-5 years, depending upon numerous factors. At that point I plan to sell the money pit and build a two bedroom 2200 square foot home with a study, a large upstairs dormitory, and a yard that can be mowed with a weedeater in less than 4 minutes.

Make that a cordless weedeater.

If the boys think they're gonna' miss the house they can buy it from me.
Old 11-16-10, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CACycling
This depends on whether you are talking current costs or long-term costs. It may be cheaper to rent short-term but rents will rise. Maybe not for several years but they will eventually go up. A fixed-rate mortgage stays constant. There will be some increase in taxes, insurance and maintenance, but these increases are typically fairly minor in the overall picture. And at some point, the mortgage payment disappears. If you look at monthly costs over a couple of decades, owning can make economic sense. And if the property appreciates, all the better.
Actually I counsel to do the calculation over 20 years even though, historically, people only live in their houses for about six years. However, from what I can tell that may well change with the expected economy over the next several years. Also, a person needs to put some value on freedom to change locations to take advantage of better career opportunities.

From what I can see where we are is where we will be unless our government is willing to squeeze the pimple now before it gets infected and causes more damage. We are in a global economy, like it or not. The sooner we face up to the pain of restructuring and get on with business the sooner we will share in the pleasures of the future.

Last edited by ModeratedUser150120149; 11-16-10 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-16-10, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting timing, I just did my gutters. (use a gas blower, so I dont have to crawl around the perimiter(SP)
and the last dozen times I have climbed the ladder to the roof,before I start the climb, I take a bit of time to say to myself "watch out, take your time, and be really careful", It helps to do that , because I have not scared myself, again....
and 20 feet is nothing. after you have climbed 140 feet up a ham radio antenna tower and get to the top, and have to let go of the tower to work on the antenna,and rely on the safety belt to hold you on,,, pucker is one descriptionof the feeling.
Can not Imagine moving to one of "those' places",,Riding makes it soI don't have to...
Bud
Old 11-16-10, 11:35 PM

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I made the decision to move 1 year ago. Sold my small car wash and 1 week later put money down on a new house in a 55+ community. In July I moved in. As per most modern homes, outside is all vinyl with aluminum fascia. So I figure I will have no exterior maintenance for the rest of my life. Small monthly fee (so far) covers grass cutting, snow removal and trash pick up. I moved to an area (Oley Valley) that is very popular with bicyclists. So I can ride right from my front door, rather then the 10 mile drive I took to get here and ride. Decent breakfast is just a 10 mile round trip by bike. All is well and I love it. On the down side, I've put off quite a few repairs to old house, usually to go riding. So this year riding is down while I clean gutters at old house (2 weeks ago), just used up a great riding weekend and changed 3 windows in old house instead. Looks like a couple more warmed days next week. I'd love to ride, but have some exterior painting to do. Lots of interior work this winter as well. Hopefully I'm done with everything by March and I can get a quick sale in spring. This was one decision I should have done years ago.
Old 11-17-10, 10:17 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Interesting responses. I own my house free and clear and have for several years and am not thinking of it as an income producer ever. I live alone, have no children, and my biggest expense is the money I spend going out to eat, aside from property taxes etc..

Going up ladders and house maintenance in general is only part of the issue. I find when I walk into my house and look around, that I get to thinking that I own way to much and that the house is really a storage shed as much as anything. I could easily cut my living space in half and be quite comfortable. Space for my bikes, my books a stereo and a TV, how much does one person need?

I think that part of it has to do with responsibility, something of which I am not a big fan. If someone would build some condos in this neighborhood, which won't happen, I could easily dump the house and move. I would hate, however, as Barefeet says, to give up the neighborhood.
Old 11-17-10, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a 110 year old farmhouse on 5 acres to retire with. It's a beautiful old place in a great area only 4 miles from town and no gravel until my driveway. I'm rehabbing it and adding a bedroom, when done it will be just under 1400 sq ft, but there will be a nice outbuilding. The place will be very energy efficient (super insulated and with ground source HVAC supplemented by a small wood stove). It will also be minimal maintenance (metal roof, no gutters, vinyl siding, metal fascia and soffits, so no painting, gutter cleaning or the like) other than the grounds. I cannot do condos or rental property. I can't stand close neighbors either and want room to garden, have a good sized dog run and an orchard.

I was lucky to find it. P.S. Just had the floors redone. They're old heart pine with lots of worm wood and really just a super cool old look, but will still be easy care. I like a home with some character. This one has it.
Old 11-17-10, 10:52 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Besides cycling- I have the other hobby of gardening. I do not think I could live in a house with a 30ft x 30ft yard. By the time I have put the bike shed up- that would be greatly reduced in size.

25 years ago we moved into our current house. It is small but 3 bedrooms- enough for me and the wife and two kids. We wanted the garden and by buying extra ground we got just on 1/4 acre. Not big enough but it will be in a few years time.

I have got to the stage where I think twice before doing the heavy jobs or the tricky ones but I have two son-in-laws for that side. And I have a good set of neighbours that will always help out if required. For example- a neighbour had some decking to do- 6 neighbours and the various skills we have and a 3 month job was done in two days. Another neighbour wanted to level the slope on his 30x30 yard and I wanted the soil to level part of mine- 10 neighbours- 6 wheel barrows- and both jobs done. Neighbour had a dangerous tree in his garden- one morning and it went.

You can see why I am reluctant to move from where I am. Most of the neighbours are good- even though there is one thorn that we can't do anything about. The house is just big enough and I know the best cycling routes in the area. Providing I can afford to stay where I am- I am not moving.

And the only reason I have to work is that I still have one year on the mortgage to pay. Along with the expenses of house maintenance that I am trying to get on top of before I have to retire. Barring those financial expenses- it would be Cycling and relaxing in the garden while the son-in-law cuts the grass.

Spike Milligan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.