Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

pros/cons on Specialized Crossroads Elite Lo ?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-10, 08:43 PM

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've visited most of the bike shops here in Rochester,NY and no one seems to be giving bikes away right now.

But I'm really impressed with the Specialized Elite Lo-entry model. Thinking about one for the wife and I.

Since I haven't biked in 30 years, I was jolted by how unsure I felt on test drives, # of gears,etc., and cost. Granted, the bikes weren't set up for my size, and the tires didn't have much air, but this will be a learning experience again. And I think I will get a "girl's bike" model, i.e., with the low cross bar. The salesman assured me now they're called "unisex" models, not "girls".

we'll be doing a lot of riding on the canal path.

What do you think about the Specialized brand of bike and this model in particular?

thanks in advance.
Old 12-31-10, 08:53 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I don't know the model, but Specialized - along with a number of other name brand companies - has a solid reputation. Buy what turns YOU on and make sure it fits you well. Many of the folks on this forum (including me) started with a less expensive bicycle, and in a year or so upgraded to a more advanced model. It is called the N+1 syndrome.

I'm sure others will offer their thoughts. The best thing is to have a bike that you love and is comfortable - nothing gets you riding more than that.

Good luck.
Old 12-31-10, 09:30 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Specialized makes great bikes. I got one last week for my 66th birthday/Christmas.
I've never met a person who didn't like their Specialized, whether it was road bike, mtn bike, or hybrid.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 12-31-10, 09:31 PM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Last year, the Crossroads was the Globe Carmel, and we put a lot of happy customers on them. The advantages are
  • well made and easy to maintain
  • light for its class
  • very comfortable and easy to ride
Disadvantages are
  • doesn't like to be ridden fast
  • every couple of years, Specialized changes the model names
Sounds like just the ticket for your intended use. Enjoy them.
Old 12-31-10, 11:46 PM

Bikes: Trek Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I returned to cycling some years ago, I bought a bike rather like the one you're considering. (It was a Giant, but that's not really relevant; Specialized have an excellent reputation.) The bike gave me several years of happy riding and I had time to decide what sort of bike I wanted to upgrade to.

This bike looks like a good model for someone in your position. If you feel the dealer is honest and stands by the product, I'd buy it - many people including me say that you should be shopping for a good dealer, not just a good bike. I'd consider one with a higher crossbar for frame rigidity - but it'll be your bike and don't be swayed by my capriciousness.

As DnvrFox says:

The best thing is to have a bike that you love and is comfortable - nothing gets you riding more than that.
Old 01-01-11, 02:03 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It doesn't matter what bike you get to start with providing it fits and you get reasonable service from the shop.

It takes a while to find one but this is where the LBS (Local bike shop) comes in. And this is where many of us say find the shop- then buy the bike.

Enjoy the bike and start saving. All the first bike is for- is to tell you what the 2nd. bike is going to be.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-01-11, 07:14 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
It doesn't matter what bike you get to start with providing it fits and you get reasonable service from the shop.

It takes a while to find one but this is where the LBS (Local bike shop) comes in. And this is where many of us say find the shop- then buy the bike.
That's what I think too. Shop for a bike shop first. Frankly, I have some doubts about yours. Sending a potential customer out for a test ride on a bike with soft tires and that hasn't been properly set up doesn't sound like "A" grade service to me. Still, I wasn't there. If the people that you delt with gave you a positive feeling and asked the right questions they might be OK.

At a price point the offerings of the various bike manufacturers are quite similar and can be expected to provide very similar performance and quality. If the worst happens, however, and you encounter a warranty issue wouldn't you rather deal with somebody with whom you already have a rappoire?
Old 01-01-11, 07:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
snowy day to look for a bike

It was my idea to ride around the store on a showroom model.We were in the midst of "lake effect" , and I wouldn't have wanted to take their new bike out in several inches of snow and salt.

That wouldn't have been a good test,either. But he offered to let me,anyway.
Old 01-01-11, 07:41 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by colpatrick
It was my idea to ride around the store on a showroom model.We were in the midst of "lake effect" , and I wouldn't have wanted to take their new bike out in several inches of snow and salt.

That wouldn't have been a good test,either. But he offered to let me,anyway.
So there you are. I'm glad that I wrote "I wasn't there" in my original post.
Old 01-01-11, 07:42 AM
Oh! That British Bloke ..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree ... shop for a bike shop first. Frankly, I would guess that 90% of the bicycles sold in the USA are made (to any particular brand's design/specification) in one of two or three very large factories a long way from here and the badges stuck on them as they go out the door. So the quality of almost any type of bike at any particular price point will be very similar. And that means, providing you buy from a bike shop, they're all going to be pretty good at what they're supposed to do.

So patronise the shop you feel most comfortable and confident with, then seek their advice. You will end up with a quality bike that suits you best and have the benefit of the experience and backup to make cycling a truly exhilarating experience.
Old 01-01-11, 08:39 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
It sounds like you are looking at a bike that suits your current desires. Once you get a chance to try it set up right for you, if you like it, buy it and ride the wheels off of it. Then you'll have a better idea what your next bike will be like.

I'm loving my new Specialized road bike and my Specialized mountain bike.
Old 01-01-11, 09:36 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
The bike you buy now will help you determine the bike you want later. Which might turn out to be the bike you buy now.
Old 01-01-11, 10:13 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam

Enjoy the bike and start saving. All the first bike is for- is to tell you what the 2nd. bike is going to be.
^^^^ What He Says ^^^^

Old 01-01-11, 11:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Giant Tran Sport LX for commuting and a Specialized Myka for off-road. My husband rides a Specialized Hardrock for everything. I only rode about 3000 miles this year (lost my mojo for a bit and when I got it back I came down with mono) my husband more than 5000. We enjoy our bikes, my husband is pleased with the quality of his bike, and he is pretty rough on his. As has been said, the 2 most important things are finding a good local bike shop, and getting a bike that fits. Riding the Erie Canal towpath is one of my Bucket List rides. Find a good shop, find a bike that fits and ride!!!
Old 01-07-11, 06:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High bar vs. ladies style

Originally Posted by Trundlecreak
When I returned to cycling some years ago, I bought a bike rather like the one you're considering. (It was a Giant, but that's not really relevant; Specialized have an excellent reputation.) The bike gave me several years of happy riding and I had time to decide what sort of bike I wanted to upgrade to.

This bike looks like a good model for someone in your position. If you feel the dealer is honest and stands by the product, I'd buy it - many people including me say that you should be shopping for a good dealer, not just a good bike. I'd consider one with a higher crossbar for frame rigidity - but it'll be your bike and don't be swayed by my capriciousness.

As DnvrFox says:
I've always heard and felt that the "boys style" bike with the high crossbar is more rigid. On the other hand, what difference does that make except in an accident?

Thanks.
Old 01-07-11, 06:56 AM
Oh! That British Bloke ..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The "step-through" frame tends to be heavier and more prone to racking or twisting. Pootling around the neighbourhood won't really test a frame, so a lack of stiffness won't become an issue. However, zipping down a hill at 30mph on a flexible frame could be very scary ...
Old 01-07-11, 08:25 AM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Look at this Raleigh bike. It's unisex, with low step over, comes with lights, fenders and kick stand. The internal hub gearing might suit you too. Lots of options out there.
https://www.rei.com/product/809007
Old 01-07-11, 06:09 PM

Bikes: Trek Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always heard and felt that the "boys style" bike with the high crossbar is more rigid. On the other hand, what difference does that make except in an accident?
All bikes are subject to twisting forces when they're being pedalled or when they encounter irregularities in the road. All decent ones cope with that twisting force pretty well. ThatBritBloke mentions the prospect of some flexing at high speeds (eg, on downhills). I'd suggest that a 'step-thru' frame is a little more subject to flexing when being pedalled than one with a higher crossbar - so some of your effort on the pedals is wasted in frame flex. In both cases, this effect will be quite minor and you are probably not going to be riding at speeds that will even make this very noticeable. All bikes are a compromise. Buy the bike that you think suits you best. ENJOY!
Old 01-07-11, 07:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks.didn't know that.
Old 01-07-11, 07:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info.I've never experienced this flexing that you're talking about. Now I'll know to look for it.

Still think the step-thru model will serve me well over the years.