Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I think Spring has sprung!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I think Spring has sprung!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-11, 11:15 AM

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Most of the snow is gone on the north shore of Lake Ontario. There is still some traces of the snowbanks on the side of the street, but most of the grass is exposed.
The Waterfront Trail was clear and dry today. First time out for the 3 speed fixie this year. Sure was nice to get back out on that bike.
Took this shot at about 2:00 this afternoon.
+1 and it's starting to look even better. The birds are coming back. I was out walking on the Waterfront Trail yesterday near mty place and there were about 2000 Canada geese offshore at Petticoat creek
https://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...tario&t=h&z=15

Time to get out there.
Old 03-16-11, 02:48 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Spring does have it's downside.
Zyrtec or Claritin or Allegra or whatever aside, when the pollen kicks in full force around here, the sinuses start draining, the nose running and the coughing begins. I can't believe the amount of gunk draining out of my head!
Old 03-17-11, 02:45 PM

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't got hit ... yet.. Once the trees start budding, my eyes look like a bowl of tomato soup, the nose runs and all the rest that comes with it will hit me like a ton of bricks.

FInally got the Roubaix out for my lunchtime workout. Spent a little more time than usual (90 min) getting acclimatized to riding with a compact double instead of a triple, riding around the neighbourhood getting the feel of it. Flats, rollers, a couple of long hill climbs, what an improvement from an aluminium frame ! Smooth and responsive with no flexing anywhere even when I put some muscle into it. If I didn't have a self imposed time limit (some of us still have to work), I would have stayed out all afternoon.

The 3 week layoff after xc-ski season ended was really hitting me though so I only put in about 15 miles . I haven't mounted the Sigma sensor kit on this one yet and I keep forgetting to press start on my Garmin and I know I covered over twice the mileage than it was telling me.
Old 03-17-11, 04:22 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
St. Patty's Day and our first day of 90 degrees . . . a bit early even for this part of Arizona.