Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Can I Slip In Early?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Can I Slip In Early?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-11, 09:45 PM
Persist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahem. Just to clarify, I am female. <Looks down to check> Definitely female.
Old 05-31-11, 10:10 PM

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And while I would adore an espresso and a puppy, our current dog does not play well with others, and it is coming up on my bedtime, so I'll have to defer that pleasure for another time.
Several years ago, my grand daughter was "helping" me put the awning on the deck, she was six at the time. I got
on her for getting on the ladder, she went in the house and told grandma, "PaPa does not play well with others!".
Old 06-01-11, 06:32 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Indigo Mule
Ahem. Just to clarify, I am female. <Looks down to check> Definitely female.
That's what I thought. I gleaned that from the phrase "if it skews the vote, I'm female" in the original post.
Old 06-01-11, 07:03 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My bad. Should have guessed from the long post. Didn't read the whole thing......It's a guy thing. Sorry. Anything more than a sentence or two loses me.
Was going byt he user name. Blue mule? Figured a guy. Oh well. That 50/50 chance will get you, well 50% of the time.

Last edited by bigbadwullf; 06-01-11 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-01-11, 08:54 AM
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
We'll be sending your AARP bike stickers soon...
What a great idea... I want a couple for my bike. Sadly though Mixtes don't lend themselves well to stickers.
Old 06-01-11, 10:11 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 06-01-11, 08:56 PM
Persist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can see where you might doubt a woman would name herself "mule". "Indigo Mule" was the name of my first dream bike, a Trek 520 I had retrofitted with S&S couplings and custom painted indigo blue with subtle flecks of silver. The "mule" part is because I'm a pack mule on the bicycle. I'm not comfortable on a ride unless I have tools, a spare tire or two, a couple of patch kits, first aid kit, water, food, arm warmers, extra socks, extra wool jersey, sun block, paper maps, additional water, and lights. All this for JUST IN CASE.

When I got the Trek, I had aspirations of randonneuring, and even going to Paris. Turns out I liked the idea of randonneuring better than the reality. I never even used the silly S&S couplings, just as I never made it past the first cassette tape of French lessons.

But I kept the motto: "With dogged persistence, I'll go the distance."

As for mules being stubborn, well, that's a valuable trait in a cyclist, don't you agree?
Old 06-02-11, 03:45 PM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another wwelcome............good to hear where the name comes from too .....even though I cannot """officially"""welcome you for ?how long was that? Again welcome......: )
Old 06-03-11, 10:25 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
1. OK, It's time for the grouch to break up the love fest. What do you think it is that makes this forum different from all the others? How much are you willing to compromise on the thing that makes it what it is?

2. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water. Honestly, now, how fast do you drive in a 55 MPH zone? I think that's a good standard for maintaining the age standard.

3. Welcome, Indigo Mule. In the interest of full disclosure, I have a 21 month old grand daughter who is named Indigo. She's cute too. I also started a tandem bike club called the "Mule Team". At that time most of the tandem clubs took regional animal names - Cows from Wisconsin, Pigs from Iowa, Crabs from somewhere. Being from Missouri, Mules seemed appropriate.
Old 06-03-11, 10:51 AM
P51

Bikes: Trek 7300, Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome, Indigo. Allow me to introduce myself.

Chocolate pie.
Helmet.
Commando.
Teflon.
Mirror.

Old 06-03-11, 12:28 PM

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, the people see "female" and suddenly we're tripping over our lycra to pull up a chair. There's even been some "gleaning" going on in this thread. Next thing you know someone will surmise something.

Homemade apple pie is nice. With or without some nice sharp cheddar cheese?

I wear a helmet and go commando on the bike (this means wearing camouflage colored lycra, right?)

I can go clipless or platform.
Old 06-03-11, 05:40 PM
Persist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
1. What do you think it is that makes this forum different from all the others? How much are you willing to compromise on the thing that makes it what it is?
What I have observed that makes this forum different from the others is a consistently high level of maturity, wit, humor, and consideration. The ratio of signal to noise is far greater than 1:1. When there is a difference of opinion, it is more likely to end in an "agree to disagree" than in Godwin's Law.

The other fora skew younger (or so I judge from the syntax, topics, and conduct), with a higher likelihood of untempered opinions, cruel intolerance, and when their threads degenerate, they are less likely to do so in a humorous direction.

I figure as long as I maintain the tone (or keep silent), I won't dilute the things that make this forum such a desirable place to hang out.

(How fast do I drive in a 55 mph zone? Are you raising the age limit to 69? On highways, I keep it at no more than 14 mph over the speed limit. On city streets, I take a perverse pleasure in going 1 mph UNDER the speed limit and coming to complete and full stops at the stop signs.)
Old 06-04-11, 12:45 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I figure as long as I maintain the tone (or keep silent), I won't dilute the things that make this forum such a desirable place to hang out.
Not the attitude We want here. If you have something to say- SAY IT. If you disagree with a posting- then let it be known. We need some younger views on this forum. Keeps the brain cells working for some of us older members as we reply in the manner in which it deserves.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-04-11, 12:59 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Hell... I find myself wandering in here fairly often and have yet to get a boot to my behind.

I think you will be just fine even though you don't rate a senior's discount... yet.

Have friends scattered all over this forum and just as it is in real life (and many are friends in real life too), they range from being 25-75 and I like hanging out with them all as it make my life much more interesting.
Old 06-04-11, 01:00 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
And I like rides that involve pie.
Old 06-04-11, 10:01 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
(How fast do I drive in a 55 mph zone? Are you raising the age limit to 69? On highways, I keep it at no more than 14 mph over the speed limit. On city streets, I take a perverse pleasure in going 1 mph UNDER the speed limit and coming to complete and full stops at the stop signs.)
That's exactly my point. There is no a firm digital limit but there tends to be a range above and below which I'm not comfortable venturing.