Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Burn out

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-11, 02:31 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Burn out

Happens to me every year. I just get to feeling totally overburdened by lifes little trials and tribulations.

My bride and I have just cleared several little life hurdles, hurdles that at the time seemed major to us. Though any one of the challanges would seem trivial to most, the collective weight of them all at once has taken its toll on us both.

We did fine and are both all right and we'resquaring off to meet a few remaining challanges before the year is over.

I actually think she handled the past year or so better than I did. I have become short tempered and quite testy but her patience has kept our home life quite tolerable. Physically I am very, very tired. I actually started to feel obligated to ride my bike to work these past few days, as if I hadn't already had enough to deal with.

So today I pushed back. I actually drove the S-10 to work last night and I fully intend to drive it again tomorrow. I think I'll be biking a bit less for a spell. Bikes are and always have been a part of my life, but sometimes I try to squeeze too many activities into too little time and the result is me becoming stressed out and frustrated. If Cranky ain't happy, nobody's happy. If you don't believe me just ask that poor lady in the SUV.

So if I don't show up for a spell don't fret none, I'm just kinda sorta regrouping a bit.
Old 08-13-11, 05:43 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Yes, I can sympathize (empathize?).

With my wife's never-ending pain situation (for 7 years) right now, sometimes every day is a major challenge for both of us - me to support her, she to live one more afternoon and evening with the pain, sometimes crying. Additionally, there have been more major challenges with my son and his physical well being, and resolving medical issues through bureaucracies. Then there are the political and governmental challenges and financial changes to social programs that are vital to his very life. Then, additionally, I seem to find and create other challenges, organizing this and that advocacy group or position paper, etc.

So, I never force my bicycling, and I always use it as relaxation and relief from those other stresses and tensions, and as a physical release, along with the myriad of other physical activities I do. I NEVER want my physical activities (bicycling, swimming, walking, weight lifting, stretching, etc.) to be another added source of stress and tension, instead, they must help relieve those stresses and tensions.

So, I fully understand backing off for a bit. When the bicycling (or whatever) becomes a chore, it is time to back off and perhaps change activities or emphasis until one regroups.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-13-11 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-13-11, 07:11 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It' times like these that D-Fox's refusal to become a slave to the numbers becomes a real benefit. The heat is really getting to me, but if I don't meet my quota of miles, my goals start slipping away. So I sit here on the computer rather than riding, for which I feel guilty. Becoming a slave to the numbers is a real drag.
Old 08-13-11, 09:07 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Happens to me every year. I just get to feeling totally overburdened by lifes little trials and tribulations.

My bride and I have just cleared several little life hurdles, hurdles that at the time seemed major to us. Though any one of the challanges would seem trivial to most, the collective weight of them all at once has taken its toll on us both.

We did fine and are both all right and we'resquaring off to meet a few remaining challanges before the year is over.

I actually think she handled the past year or so better than I did. I have become short tempered and quite testy but her patience has kept our home life quite tolerable. Physically I am very, very tired. I actually started to feel obligated to ride my bike to work these past few days, as if I hadn't already had enough to deal with.

So today I pushed back. I actually drove the S-10 to work last night and I fully intend to drive it again tomorrow. I think I'll be biking a bit less for a spell. Bikes are and always have been a part of my life, but sometimes I try to squeeze too many activities into too little time and the result is me becoming stressed out and frustrated. If Cranky ain't happy, nobody's happy. If you don't believe me just ask that poor lady in the SUV.

So if I don't show up for a spell don't fret none, I'm just kinda sorta regrouping a bit.
We would all like to ride 100 miles a day, the only problem is that life has a habit of getting in the way, if you find riding isn't a fun and enjoyable experience, then take a week or two off, we all get burned out at some point. If we let our stress and frustrations get the best of us, then we can end up forced to relax, and sometimes that will be forced in a hospital. Maybe what you really need is a vacation, if you have not had one this year, then you need to take one, get away for a week, get life caught up for a week, regroup and then go back at it.
Old 08-13-11, 10:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At our age that happens. We don't have the energy sometimes to rebound quickly, or absorb more problems or grief without it taking a toll on us. Life can become overwhelming at times, especially being alone in my mid fifties. But I remind myself that I am blessed - I have three healthy adult children, I've had relatively few real health problems, and though I live paycheck to paycheck I'm not without food, shelter, or car (nor a bike, skis and computer ). My ex always saw the glass as almost empty. I see it as almost full.

If something becomes a chore, like biking, it's time to take a break and revitalize. Pursue other interests, visit places by car, whatever gets your interest going again. And think about getting a medical check up, if you haven't recently.
Old 08-13-11, 10:31 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe my philosophy will help:
Whatever you do,
Do it for Fun,
Do it for Survival, Or
Don't do it At All.

If it isn't fun and you don't need it for survival don't do it. It is up to each person to make their own decision on where things they do fit.
Old 08-13-11, 11:44 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't know what I would have done if I wasn't bringing on a Novice rider this year. I get days when I do not want to ride- feeling tired- other things to do-weather not right------but I have this rider that I want to bring along. I may have to force myself out with him but within 5 miles I realise why I just love cycling so much.

9 am tomorrow and I am taking him up some hills. May only be slopes that make me breath a bit hard but to that new rider they are going to be mountains. After 3,000ft of climbing- I had better take my camera- We are both going to need Pie after that.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-13-11, 03:45 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Time for some R & R! Enjoy! When I get stressed, a good BBQ and a 6pack of ice cold beer relieves the pressure.
Old 08-13-11, 04:33 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lenny,

I fully empathize with you. This year there is just so much going on cycling has been taking a back seat since June. I have not ridden a single day to work this year (will that get me kicked off the island?). Those bikes will be there and you have proven time and time again that you will get back on them. Take a little break if that's what you need, you have our permission...
Old 08-13-11, 05:18 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Liked 668 Times in 236 Posts
A good friend, a fellow musician I've know for many years, used to race bikes years ago. He said he once got the opportunity to do a training ride with candidates for the US Olympic team. It was on a closed and marshaled course, 2 laps around a 75km loop through the woods of the Adirondack Mts. He said he hung with them for maybe 50km then got dropped. For the rest of the 150km he rode by himself. Riding by himself instead of pushing against other riders he noticed the beautiful woods and lay of the hills and the smell of the air. Prior to that he had missed all of it. He said that's when he realized he hated racing.

If it ain't fun don't do it.

Being tired can make it not be fun, can ruin your whole day.

So give it a break. May your get over your hurdles quickly!
Old 08-13-11, 05:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, if it's not fun, don't do it for awhile. Everyone gets burned out at times. Pick it back up when you want to. Best wishes with the hurdles-
Old 08-13-11, 06:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last year i had to stop about this time to clean up the tornado damage i shoved aside so i could ride. Did not want to stop but thats what i had to do.Thats when i discovered running again.Running took less time,and was relaxing compared to the way i was cycling at the time.
Old 08-13-11, 07:56 PM
invisible friend

Bikes: Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best wishes in sorting things out Cranky! I love to ride, and love it more since I've relaxed on worrying about how much and when I ride. The bike will be there when you feel like spinning the cranks again!