Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Need to know does and don't as I begin my venture in bike riding in my 50's

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Need to know does and don't as I begin my venture in bike riding in my 50's

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-17, 10:48 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 3,037 Times in 1,883 Posts
Originally Posted by PastorJim
My rides are longer now. Usually 20-26 miles. my total miles since starting in 2011 is over 14,000 miles.
Thanks encouraging me many years go it worked.
Wow, that's so nice to hear. Two to three thousand miles a year means it's part of your life now.
Old 04-26-17, 04:35 AM
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PastorJim
My rides are longer now. Usually 20-26 miles. my total miles since starting in 2011 is over 14,000 miles.
Thanks encouraging me many years go it worked.
Good to hear! I use the time to keep my mind fresh and my body fit. Amazing what it feels like just " being a kid on a bike" does for ones body, mind and soul. Good job sticking with it! And here's hoping for many years more!
Old 04-26-17, 09:47 AM

Bikes: His & Hers 1966 Schwinn Collegiates (Mom and Dad), 3 1998 GT Palomars (The Twins and the Red Headed Step)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter_C
But when you do stop, remember to put at least one foot down - hopefully on the same side that you are leaning...
And when you have to turn....INSIDE PEDAL UP!
Old 04-26-17, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Develop your sense of situational awareness. Wear a high viz jersey. Check your six alot.

Texas DOT said the state had 50 "pedalcyclist" and 483 pedestrian fatalities in 2014.
Old 04-26-17, 11:23 AM
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Since this zombie thread was raised from the dead like Lazarus...

And, in case anyone was wondering why I stopped posting here and/or where I went, I learned that anything over 20+ miles simply made me too uncomfortable on a bike. Didn't matter what bike, what seat, how it was fit, nada! People from great places, and BikeForum members spent both time and $$$ trying to help me too~! With zero success.

In late 2010 I moved to three wheels. I bought my first recumbent trike. A first gen Terra Trike Rover. I still have it, and love it, though it's known as the "SUV of Trikes", very basic with a lifetime warranty.

Unsupported trip on the GAP of 200 miles (trailer&gear weighed 100lbs) All up, me trike trailer gear all weighed roughly 540#

Did my first Century with that Trike (roughly 12hrs). Have and will never be fast. Most people find trikes to be 2-3mph slower than they are on a bike, but they are oh so comfortable. We are talking all day comfort. We are not speaking; "Don't worry, in time you'll get used to it"...We are talking; " this is your new favorite lawn chair on wheels!".

Am not here to convert anyone. Just explaining where I ended up myself. Zero balance issues, no worries about unclipping. Can spend much more focus on the scenery and less staring at the ground just in front of the front tire. Most trikes weigh 30-40#. You can get crazy gearing if you want/need it (like I do) - look up "Mountain Drive" for an example, my lowest gear is "7 gear inches", or roughly 1.5mph at 70rpm (for hills) and I choose to top out at 13mph at 90rpm (current gearing, if you do not know my surgical history, look me up a bit - am thrilled to go faster than walking speed).

Second trike is a Catrike Villager, a sweet upgrade~! Both faster and less flex.

Back on the GAP 2013 with a group for like 60-70 miles or so? A social trip.

2013 was my best non-surgical year to date. Did almost 4,000 miles that year. Lots of Trike-camping, and many Metric-centuries, most by mistake Many of my rides are out-and-back type rides. Park the car, take off, ride in one direction til whenever, turn around when the mood strikes, then head back to the car. I stop and take breaks whenever, talk to people, read my kindle, take photos, just do whatever - make a day of my rides. Some rides are 10 miles, some rides are 40 miles, who knows, right? I usually start around 10-11 in the morning, and always carry lights as you never know... So anyhow, like 4-6 times I just ended up not dilly-dallying around and ended up not turning around until 35-45 miles into the ride...oops, then needed to sorta hurry up and get back to text Cindy (lovely wife) that I was OK before it got too dark - as it was not a planned late night ride.

I can't stand winter riding on a trainer, and with various surgeries and procedures I always seem to start over every year. The first 100 miles or so is very tough! Once I get past that it gets much easier again. Muscle memory starts coming back and so on.

Sadly, the last three odd years have been very hard. Multiple surgeries and procedures have left me house-bound year round until March of this year. I bet I have not even gotten 100 miles since 2014 until today. Talk about starting over! I've been cleared by all the Docs finally, I've currently got nothing on the books at this point. Just routine blood work and Pain Doc visits in the future til something new pops up.

Quick recap history:
* LTKR
* RTKR
* RTHR
* CTS
* Blood Thinners for life (No NSAIDs for life)
* Neuropathy (hands and feet)
* OA
* RFA (low back)
* 3 shoulder surgeries, one on right, two on left
Plus other random crap...

BentRider Online is the best Recumbent Forum Period~! The Trike Section can be found HERE.

Lastly, since March 25th, I have been either working outside or working in my garage for at least 6 to 9 hours daily every day with only 3 days off. Spring has sprung here, and while I have yet to get my latest trike down from it's hanging spot (ICE Adventure HD Full Suspension), I've been busy on honey-do's, mowing, cleaning 3yrs worth of garage mess, and on and on - basically killing myself after 3yrs of sitting on my butt doing nothing, but recovering about 80% overnight and doing it again the next day. And feeling much better~!
Old 04-26-17, 08:24 PM

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Schwinn Sidewinder 26" Men's (SRAM Max Pro) & Trident TW Bents

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Wow, that's so nice to hear. Two to three thousand miles a year means it's part of your life now.
Last year was just a little over 1500, but my work schedule and poor road conditions where I live have factored in. But it's part of my weekly routine. Some minor injuries (one should have but didn't get medical help) but nothing to keep me from cycling. Thankful for that! I hate crashing! Don't we all :-)
Old 04-26-17, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
All roads are connected, be caseful once you venture out on the road, it is like a river and you may find yourself swept away, going on rides far farther than any you imagined.

(Paraphrased and Stolen for J.R.R. Tolkein)
You cannot step into the same river twice.

Heraclitus