Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Mrs wants to ride!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Mrs wants to ride!

Old 08-19-12, 07:10 AM

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mrs wants to ride!

That is the good news. I have no idea what to do. She is 68 and marginal health. Have older womens mtn. bike she can get started on or should I go right away for something else. Any suggestions on equipment, cloths, riding, etc greatly appreciated. I will ride with her at what ever level she can do.
Old 08-19-12, 07:17 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I think you would be better served letting your wife work this problem with you acting as consultant on an as-needed basis.
Old 08-19-12, 07:21 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Have fun with her.

Take her to a large bike shop and turn her loose.(credit card)

She may even get a fast century bike.

Old 08-19-12, 07:25 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
As said, let her do the work on this. Maybe you should tell her to register here and ask the questions she has about starting up cycling. We would welcome her as we have you!

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-19-12, 07:37 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Over the years I have bought my wife 3 different DF bikes. She may have ridden each 15 times and then they hung up in the garage till we sold them. Last fall I bought a trike that we share. It is a TerraTrike Cruiser. She has already ridden it more than the other 3 bikes combined, and really likes it. BTW my wife is 68.

Yes by all mean take here to a LBS and more importantly one that has some trikes.
Old 08-19-12, 07:40 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Have fun with her.

Take her to a large recumbent shop and turn her loose.(credit card)

She may even get a fast century bike.
Fixed it.

I don't know what "marginal health" means but I wouldn't reject a recumbent out-of-hand.
Old 08-19-12, 07:52 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
One strategy would be to put lighter, skinnier, minimal tread tires on her mountain bike. Start riding a bike she has some familiarity with and take it from there.
Old 08-19-12, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you could find a bike shop with a female salesperson to work with her that would be a plus,then all you do is stand back and get the credit card out.Not really,but they seem to be able to communicate with a female vs. a young dude trying to sell her a Madone.
Old 08-19-12, 08:14 AM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
I think you would be better served letting your wife work this problem with you acting as consultant on an as-needed basis.
+1!
Old 08-19-12, 09:36 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
One strategy would be to put lighter, skinnier, minimal tread tires on her mountain bike. Start riding a bike she has some familiarity with and take it from there.
I think this would be a good first step. She has expressed an interest in riding, so let her try riding in a low expectation setting before adding the flood of possibilities and pressures of a bike shop visit or all the special equipment and clothing options. Just a simple ride on a simple bike. If the interest grows from there, definitely let her make the choices.
Old 08-19-12, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
By all means encourage her.

There is a woman that water areobics at the same time my wife does her training swims. Somehow, in one of their conversations I was volunteered to do some maintenance on her bike. Her story is amazing!

When my wife first saw her at the pool, the lady had trouble getting from the locker room to the pool with the aid of a walker, she was greatly overweight, and on many medications. Over the course of a couple of years she lost over 75 pounds, reduced the need for medications dramatically, and rides her bike everywhere. She does not have a car, and rides her bike to the gym and pool regularly. She is now thinking about riding part of the Pacific Coast Route with her children. Heck, she is only 69, and her bike only has 2 wheels!
Old 08-19-12, 11:46 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Over the years I have bought my wife 3 different DF bikes. She may have ridden each 15 times and then they hung up in the garage till we sold them. Last fall I bought a trike that we share. It is a TerraTrike Cruiser. She has already ridden it more than the other 3 bikes combined, and really likes it. BTW my wife is 68.

Yes by all mean take here to a LBS and more importantly one that has some trikes.
My wife just turned 65 and has had two DF bikes and is on her second recumbent trike over a three year span. The first trike was a delta style, Sun EZ-3 (chromoly and very heavy) and her current trike is a tadpole, Performer FX (aluminum and very light) racing trike. She is riding everyday and is vastly improving her speed and distance with each ride.

To the OP, I would agree with rdtompki in letting her make the decisions about her riding as to how much or how little she wants to start off with. Also, give her the choice of what she would like to ride, especially if the mountain bike doesn't fit her or she feels it's too heavy or that she can't control it. I also would be very patient and not rush her to get up to or near your speed and/or distance. And a recumbent trike should be a consideration to look into. It's really great when the two of you have a common interest that you both love to do and do together.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 08-19-12, 01:22 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I would never get involved it this. Let her do it, and if she ask you about something tell her to see so and so at the LBS. That way nothing can come back on you. just saying. Good luck
Old 08-20-12, 02:12 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
There are several older women in my bike club and by older women I mean older than just a little bit more than my 73 years. They look like great-grandmas. They appear to be totally un-athletic but have no trouble riding 40 miles or more or tackling some hills. Appearances are no gauge of anyone's ability or interest. Expose that lovely woman to trikes, and to trike forums, but then stand back and support her choice.