Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Third Annual Urban Century coming up!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-12, 08:33 AM
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't know the exact date, but it will be sometime over Christmas vacation. This is a supported ride -- supported by my having a cell phone in my back pocket, and by all the nice independent coffee shops in the Austin area. (Starbucks doesn't serve cyclists in the drive-through per corporate policy, so they are boycotted.) Route is undetermined. Leave the house maybe 8:00 am, ride to the veloway and do loops for some initial miles until I am bored stiff, meander through various neighborhoods with lots of zig-zagging and exploration, and gradually move towards Central Austin then North Central. When the bike computer and "MyTracks" show 100 miles I am done. They have been within 1% of each other, so credible. Much as I love tackling the steepest hills, I will tend to avoid them in this case -- 100 urban miles is enough. I routinely approach intersections and decide which way to turn spontaneously according to stoplight status. traffic and whim.

The last two times I did this, I went on a 10+ miles informal group ride with friends that evening, so almost 115 miles total.

Gear will be "road" bike, but which has straight bars, MTB shifters and platform pedals, t-shirt and levi shorts.

Last year finished about 4:30 which was well before the previous year. I am happy with it, though of course, there are those who do centuries in far less time.

Fuel will be lots of coffee, dark 86% or greater chocolate, coffee-shop snacks and maybe carry some mixed nuts.

Don in Austin
Old 11-23-12, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,046 Times in 4,477 Posts
I hope you'll write a report after the ride, your ride reports are fun to read.
Old 11-23-12, 08:59 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Sounds like an enjoyable day for you, great idea for a self supported century without being out in the hinterlands should something go down. A ride report will be a nice touch, if you would.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-23-12, 09:22 AM
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by big john
I hope you'll write a report after the ride, your ride reports are fun to read.
More than happy to do so. I could upload the MyTracks file, but it would probably look like a bowl of spaghetti!

Off for over a week, so should be able to pick a day with beautiful weather here in Austin, Texas.

If its on a Thursday the 100 miles will most like be followed by our informal group ride in the evening.

Don in Austin

Last edited by Don in Austin; 11-23-12 at 09:24 AM. Reason: word omitted
Old 11-23-12, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don in Austin, you are a genius. may I franchise out your century ride here where I live? I may have a slimmer pickins for a nice day though, at least in winter. my town is somewhat smaller, but it would work. I will be supported by an i-phone and a rain jacket.
Old 11-23-12, 10:20 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds good except for what I assume are all the stop signs and stop lights on the way. Other that coffee/fuel stops how many times do you think you'll have to put your foot down?
Old 11-23-12, 10:46 AM
Don from Austin Texas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rdtompki
Sounds good except for what I assume are all the stop signs and stop lights on the way. Other that coffee/fuel stops how many times do you think you'll have to put your foot down?
Hey, that's why I ride platforms! A lot of times I will come to an intersection and at the last minute will just cruise through on a right turn if that keeps me going. I will get 20-30 miles in on the veloway early on. That's a 3.14 miles (pi) clockwise loop.

I won't be downtown much if at all so not all that many stoplights.

Don in Austin
Old 11-23-12, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tell me more. I've been thinking of doing exactly that when my rehab gets a bit further along. A bit more about route choice, riding experiences, equipment choice, etc. I'm very comfortable around cars but recognize that there are always better ways of handling vehicle disparities.

The Starbucks thing is new to me. Of course not everyplace that has a Starbucks sign is Corporate. Some are franchises. You never go to Starbucks?
Old 11-23-12, 08:56 PM
Don from Austin Texas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Tell me more. I've been thinking of doing exactly that when my rehab gets a bit further along. A bit more about route choice, riding experiences, equipment choice, etc. I'm very comfortable around cars but recognize that there are always better ways of handling vehicle disparities.

The Starbucks thing is new to me. Of course not everyplace that has a Starbucks sign is Corporate. Some are franchises. You never go to Starbucks?
i tried to go use a Starbucks drive-through and got no response. I pedaled up to the window and told the kid the microphone seemed not to be working. He told me they don't serve people on bicycles and turned away with no further comment.

My understanding is that its policy at all their stores. And I no longer go to Starbucks anywhere, under any circumstances.

Don in Austin

Last edited by Don in Austin; 11-23-12 at 08:57 PM. Reason: content
Old 11-24-12, 08:23 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Don in Austin
i tried to go use a Starbucks drive-through and got no response. I pedaled up to the window and told the kid the microphone seemed not to be working. He told me they don't serve people on bicycles and turned away with no further comment.

My understanding is that its policy at all their stores. And I no longer go to Starbucks anywhere, under any circumstances.

Don in Austin
Possibly liability insurance reasons. Still sucks though.

I've done banking in the drive-thru on my bike and never had an issue.
Old 11-24-12, 09:01 AM
Don from Austin Texas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
Possibly liability insurance reasons. Still sucks though.

I've done banking in the drive-thru on my bike and never had an issue.
We have lots of locally owned coffee shops. Without exception their drive-through service is extremely friendly. They often refill my water bottles with ice water in the summer.

So no use for Starbucks.

Don in Austin