Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sometimes retro is better...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-13, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

My youngest son was mystified at my excitement when my new double edge razor finally arrived yesterday. He couldn’t believe I would take, in his words, such a relic to my skin. I tried to convince him that if used properly, a good double edge razor will give as good, or a better shave than any of the modern razors out there. And, yes, we are talking about faces and legs. He did, however, show some interest when I told him how much I’ll spend on blades versus what he’ll spend on cartridges. I then made the argument that a good double edge razor will last 30+ years. His response was to look at his mother and say, “Dad thinks he’s going to live forever. He buys titanium bikes and 30 year razors.” What surprised me the most was my pitch that shaving should be a Zen kind of experience was the thing for which he showed the most interest. My wife watched this entire interaction with a grin on her face. I finally asked her what she was grinning about. Her reply, “It really must be spring; you’re getting ready to shave your legs again.”

Just out of curiosity, how many of you use a double edge razor?
Old 03-21-13, 06:27 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
After reading the title I thought "I'm definitely going to agree with this." Alas, I tend toward retro, but I have to draw the line someplace. I have hairy legs too.
Old 03-21-13, 06:53 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Agreed, I am looking around at some double edged razors to return to them, I learned to shave with one. My dad swore I would regret using one for some reason. I helped our son find a nice DE set up and got him started using his DE. I have my shaving mug and brush still, I got him into the soap/brush/mug activities too. he now swears by his DE razor and a good lather from his brush. No shaved legs for me, I would need a lawn mower to cut the thick and heavy wires I have.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-21-13, 07:21 AM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Razor? What's that?

I prefer a double-edged wrench!

Old 03-21-13, 07:29 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
If you ride L'Eroica you can only take a straight razor with you.

Old 03-21-13, 07:42 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
I'm firmly in the 'new' camp for razors. I usually use a cordless rotary shaver; but when I use a blade, the multi-blade systems are much more comfortable. In fact, my favorite blade is those 5-blade cartridges.
Old 03-21-13, 08:41 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Truth be told, the best shave I've gotten is when I used my wife's Venus razors.

Old 03-21-13, 08:54 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 573 Posts
You mean something like this?

I didn't know they were still sold!

My favorite razor is the Gillette Fusion:

Yes, it has ... count 'em ... FIVE blades. But that's not why I like it. I like it because it lasts a LONG time. I typically use one every day for a couple of months before it's too dull to use anymore. Disposable razors ... maybe a week or two, at best.

I dunno why they outlast the others by such a wide margin, but I think the difference is that they expel shaved material a lot more efficiently than the others. Look into the blades there and you can see right through to the other side.

Old 03-21-13, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
What museum sells DE Smithsonian?I use what ever disposal is on sale but I don't like BIC.It seems when I find a razor I like after a while the blades or razor are unavailable.For the past couple of years I've been shaving like this.My son showed me.In the shower lather face with soap and shave.At first it is strange not looking at a mirror but you get used to it.Haven't bought shaving cream in years.Yet I shaved some time off the AM bathroom routine.
Old 03-21-13, 10:11 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
You mean something like this?

I didn't know they were still sold!

My favorite razor is the Gillette Fusion:

Yes, it has ... count 'em ... FIVE blades. But that's not why I like it. I like it because it lasts a LONG time. I typically use one every day for a couple of months before it's too dull to use anymore. Disposable razors ... maybe a week or two, at best.

I dunno why they outlast the others by such a wide margin, but I think the difference is that they expel shaved material a lot more efficiently than the others. Look into the blades there and you can see right through to the other side.

When traveling I use the Fusion. I think it’s not a bad razor at all; it’s just a bit expensive. I only get about 5 or 6 decent shaves out of a cartridge. Part of the reason many people experience this razor as better than some of the other multiple blade systems is that the blades are locked in so they can’t flex. If you look at other systems you’ll see that it’s possible for the blade to flex because there is nothing stabilizing the blade along its length. All in all, I get a much closer shave with the double edge safety razor
Old 03-21-13, 10:12 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamrock
What museum sells DE Smithsonian?I use what ever disposal is on sale but I don't like BIC.It seems when I find a razor I like after a while the blades or razor are unavailable.For the past couple of years I've been shaving like this.My son showed me.In the shower lather face with soap and shave.At first it is strange not looking at a mirror but you get used to it.Haven't bought shaving cream in years.Yet I shaved some time off the AM bathroom routine.
Actually, they're plentiful and pretty easy to get.

https://www.amazon.com/Double-Edge-Sa...R3QN1ZGDLLQ3RX
Old 03-21-13, 10:13 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Obed, Cannondale Scalpel, Spcialized AWOL, Litespeed Solano, Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been, somewhat reluctantly, using an electric razor for the last 3-4 years. I have a goatee and mustache but as of tomorrow I am going to grow a full beard.
Old 03-21-13, 10:27 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3601 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 1,948 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
If you ride L'Eroica you can only take a straight razor with you.
What!? I can't use my Campagnolo folding razor from the 1981 trade shows?

That settles it, I'm getting a refund!
Old 03-21-13, 10:35 AM
enthusiast

Bikes: 2010 BMC SL 01 Roadracer, 2012 Davidson Tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seriously? I do not miss the little bloody piece of toilet paper on my chin three out of five days and disposing of those deadly little pieces of metal every week. I get 15 or 20 gloriously smooth shaves out of fusion razors and would never go back to the 'good old days' of 'safety razors'.
Old 03-21-13, 10:46 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 842 Posts
Originally Posted by mtn.cyclist
I have been, somewhat reluctantly, using an electric razor for the last 3-4 years. I have a goatee and mustache but as of tomorrow I am going to grow a full beard.
Yup -- just my trusty Wahl Groomsman beard trimmer. At 25 years, I guess it is starting to qualify as retro.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-21-13, 11:45 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
even just 2 blades in a cartridge is retro, judging by the current marketing machine.
I got the handle and a pack of cartridge-blade spares on closeout.

[shave in the shower, myself]
Old 03-21-13, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Actually, they're plentiful and pretty easy to get.

https://www.amazon.com/Double-Edge-Sa...R3QN1ZGDLLQ3RX
My first house a victorian had a hole in the bottom of the med cabinet.Took awhile to figure out what it was for.It was a slot for used razor blades.
Old 03-21-13, 11:56 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
A bit like my bike collection, a mix of retro and modern and styles.

Electric shaver daily for convenience.

A Fusion for getting that bit closer than the electric will do or when I haven't shaved for a few days.

But I also use an old double edge Gillette that belonged to my Grandad, is at least 50 years old, and shaves as cleanly as the Fusion but is much better for accuracy in areas such as sideburns and neck shaves.
Old 03-21-13, 12:03 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamrock
My first house a victorian had a hole in the bottom of the med cabinet.Took awhile to figure out what it was for.It was a slot for used razor blades.
I've lived in four different houses with slots for used blades. I've since wondered if such houses would qualify as medical waste hazards sites.
Old 03-21-13, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
My youngest son was mystified at my excitement when my new double edge razor finally arrived yesterday. He couldn’t believe I would take, in his words, such a relic to my skin. I tried to convince him that if used properly, a good double edge razor will give as good, or a better shave than any of the modern razors out there. And, yes, we are talking about faces and legs. He did, however, show some interest when I told him how much I’ll spend on blades versus what he’ll spend on cartridges. I then made the argument that a good double edge razor will last 30+ years. His response was to look at his mother and say, “Dad thinks he’s going to live forever. He buys titanium bikes and 30 year razors.” What surprised me the most was my pitch that shaving should be a Zen kind of experience was the thing for which he showed the most interest. My wife watched this entire interaction with a grin on her face. I finally asked her what she was grinning about. Her reply, “It really must be spring; you’re getting ready to shave your legs again.”

Just out of curiosity, how many of you use a double edge razor?
Started using a DE about 4 years ago after frustration with the 2 - 4 blade razors that would leave my face a mess.
I have real stubble and the disposal cartridge razors would just leave me with razor burn and in-grown hairs.
Nothing beats a good DE razor with some Proraso shave cream whipped up in a mug with a shaving brush!
My face has been smooth and razor burn free for the last 4 years.
I use a Edwin Jagger DE89L or a Merkur Futur (Futur shaving brush as well) with Red Personna blades or Feathers depending on how careful I want to be.
I get 100 blades for about $10 - $15.00 that last well over 6 months.
Old 03-21-13, 12:27 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I am using a Fusion right now, I get ripped up no matter how carefully I shave with it. Buying a new DE razor is easy, Amazon, eBay as well as several on-line stores for men's shaving products have them. Some of the high end retail department stores carry them too. My son and I used a men's specialty on-line store for his Merkur set up last year. Blades are available, too, easily. Their are even trimming DE razors for beards and mustaches if that is you need. The good blades make the difference in the quality of the shave. Metallurgy has brought the blade into the 21st century. Watch for most of the Russian made blades, however, their quality is questionable and reputation is really bad.

Electric shavers have not ever shaved me well, I had a nice triple head Norelco as a teenager, at my father's insistence. It dulled faster than I thought possible, the store he bought it from told him some beards are just too heavy. Mine is exceptionally heavy and wiry, I could shave twice a day if I had to, easily, it is a pain to keep a neat appearance for my taste. I own one now for when I am in hospital so I can shave without a lot of extra effort while I have multiple IV in my arms and chest/neck. I have let things grow in hospital while I was in serious or critical condition and could not realize where I was let alone shave, my beard grows very fast, and I try to keep my hair cut and my face shaved, neatly and well. I'll gladly take a little extra time shaving to do it right and I only use a men's barber shop with experienced barbers (for many, many years now.)

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-21-13, 12:33 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I use a Gillette Mach 3, which is about 15 years old, so not really old enough to be "retro" but not Fusion new either.

Guess it would be about the same vintage as Shimano STI 8-Spd.

Works for me! Shave my head, my face (okay, technically my face part of my head!) and my legs . . . all in the shower.

Rick / OCRR
Old 03-21-13, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 722 Posts
Been using an electric rotary unit since 1992. The first one cost 25 bucks, plugged into the wall and the original rotary blades lasted 12 years. Couldn't buy replacement blade for that model so I bought a new one for 35 bucks in 2004 that plugs into the wall and still on the original blade head. Seems to me 60 bucks for the convenience and no facial cuts is the way to go.
Old 03-21-13, 12:50 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a 1960's Schick Krona which I have inherited from my grandfather. I prefer Derby blades, as well.

I also have a Dovo straight razor which I use once a week or so, too. While it does provide a nice shave, I believe using these 'vintage' pieces with the lather and brush is therapeutic in a way (which is why we ride bikes, too, right?)
Old 03-21-13, 12:55 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I use a Gillette Fatboy which is 63 years old, the blades are inexpensive if you know where to look, and the stropper extends their life even further.

My wife likes things drag queen smooth... my stubble can be used to scour pots and pans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.