Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why Do We Allow Breweries To Sponsor So Many Organized Rides & Bike Events?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Why Do We Allow Breweries To Sponsor So Many Organized Rides & Bike Events?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
OK, I've read this thread again and have two additional thoughts. Well, one is more of a question.

It's been fairly well documented for over 40 years (See Joel M. Fort's book The Pleasure Seekers as an historical reference) that since we began recording history, people find ways to alter consciousness or body experiences by ingesting various substances. Those substances can be alcohol, tobacco, sugar, marijuana, peyote, caffeine, and the list goes on and on. It is likely a part of being human that won’t change any time soon....
I recently read about an experiment involving honeybees that concluded that these insects are more likely to remember the location of and return to nectar that contained caffeine than nectar that didn't have any caffeine. Perhaps these Pleasure Seekers are more widespread than humanity. Of course these little girls are notorious sugar-high freaks and who knows what they get out of my neighbor's little garden p(l)ot.
Old 05-20-13, 08:38 PM
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
What's left?
I don't know. I recently gave up seltzer. I'm down to filtered water.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-20-13, 09:10 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
TWL is right. Let's have a beer and talk about it.
Old 05-20-13, 09:48 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Stout, anyone?
Old 05-21-13, 06:04 AM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Most of our American diet is also deadly, causing coronary artery disease. We could refrain from allowing any alcohol or non-vegan food for sponsorship...and then limit sponsorship to green companies....but we won't. People looking for sponsorships of events like this can either get sponsors or get on a high horse but once you start moralizing you find that a LOT of potential sponsors money is tainted in some manner.
Old 05-21-13, 06:42 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Locally someone tried to make a ruckus about McDonalds sponsoring both rides and teams. When I read about it, I got a Double Cheeseburger. It wasn't very good but self-righteousness doesn't sit well with me.
I agree wholeheartedly. One can't make their whole life an issue or a cause. Besides, just because we all have cycling in common doesn't mean that we all have the same political or moral makeup. For example, just because cycling is 'green' doesn't mean all cyclists have ecological concerns. Some people just like cycling for its own merits.

Old 05-21-13, 07:10 AM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
just because cycling is 'green' doesn't mean all cyclists have ecological concerns. Some people just like cycling for its own merits.
Point well taken. It just snowed here yesterday and I am redoubling my efforts on Global Warming. I am now committed to driving at least twice as many miles as I ride my bike and increase the heating in our home to help burn as many needless gallons of fossil fuel as I can. I'm hoping we can raise the temperature of the earth by a few degrees if we all get behind the effort.
Old 05-21-13, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud
Point well taken. It just snowed here yesterday and I am redoubling my efforts on Global Warming. I am now committed to driving at least twice as many miles as I ride my bike and increase the heating in our home to help burn as many needless gallons of fossil fuel as I can. I'm hoping we can raise the temperature of the earth by a few degrees if we all get behind the effort.
I'm with you bro. I'm tired of cold weather. A few degrees might make cycling year round for me.
Old 05-21-13, 08:18 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is quite an interesting topic. Here in the UK we have pretty much banned tobacco advertising, even though consuming tobacco is legal. When I was younger, tobacco companies pretty much dominated the sponsorship of major sports events, especially formula 1, because they knew that association with health and glamour and money and success boosted their sales. These days they aren't even allowed to make their packaging pretty. An unconscionable intrusion on personal liberty? I don't think so.

Our position on advertising booze is more nuanced. One can advertise, but one is not allowed to do so in a way that implies that drinking will make one glamorous or successful. Again, I think this is OK. There is plenty of evidence that kids are easily influenced by "cool" images, and on balance I'd rather they thought that drinking to excess was uncool.

Sponsorship of cycling events? You pays your money (or takes their money) and makes your choice. I run a cycling club with a focus on youth racing. We have sponsors. On balance, I'd reject offers of sponsorship from brewers and distillers. No great moral crusade, I drink more than is good for me, probably. But saying that responsible drinking is OK is different from promoting it to the young. Fine judgments.

Last edited by CbadRider; 05-21-13 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary comment
Old 05-21-13, 08:23 AM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
We are cyclists and know that individuals are responsible for their actions. In the past 5 years I've had closer calls with people and their phones and elderly drivers.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 05-21-13, 09:41 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
I agree that people are responsible for their actions, but I don't suggest at all that people are responsible. Perhaps the OP was surprised that his observation of hypocrisy was attacked by fellow posters.
His "observation of hypocrisy" is opinion and not necessarily an accurate assessment of fact. Perhaps he was upset that someone simply disagreed with him. We see a lot of that these days. In this era of "diversity of opinion", deviations from the consensus are not often well received.

Last edited by CbadRider; 05-21-13 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Edited quoted post
Old 05-21-13, 09:41 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
This is a no win discussion. Drunk drivers are not going to be reduced in number because breweries stop sponsoring rides. The real question is why don't we use existing technology from keeping drunk people from driving?
+1000. And I say the same about cellphone abuse. The technology exists ... why the HELL don't we use it?

Originally Posted by cafzali
If we stopped spreading the cost of bad behavior across all of society, this would stop. If we jailed people 2 days for the first DUI and increased their car insurance premiums 50 percent, it would stop. People don't demand it of their lawmakers because we're currently on this "personal responsibility" kick in the U.S., despite the fact that whether it's obesity rates, alcoholism rates or any other indicator related to behavior, Americans have shown they're generally not very responsible.
I've read a bit about the theory of punishment, and the surprising thing is this ... increasing penalties for bad behavior doesn't do as much as you think to reduce criminal activity. We're all intelligent people here, right? Well, you would think that someone pondering whether to commit a crime (or to drink and drive) would make that decision based upon the probability of getting caught and the punishment if they are caught ... essentially, the "expected value" of the event. That sort of calculation forms the basis for a lot of statistical theory.

So if you "up" the punishment, you increase the expected value of the cost of the activity, and fewer people will engage in it, right? Well, you'd think so, but studies show that that is not the case ... perhaps they just don't think they'll get caught. Conversely, the probability of getting caught figures very highly in the calculus. So many criminologists have concluded that it's better to spend money on increasing enforcement than increasing punishment. Odd, eh?

There are caveats of course. We're talking about general deterrence here (the notion that increasing one person's punishments serves as an example to deter another person's criminal activity), not specific deterrence (when someone is in jail, they can no longer commit crimes against the general public). And of course, there is alcohol's legendary (and dangerous) ability to attack the brain's judgement center first ...

Old 05-21-13, 10:00 AM

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@Biker 395 See, this is where I depart from most people in discussions on this topic. The average person may be intelligent enough to "get the job done," so to speak, but I don't believe most people act intelligently. If this were the case, the U.S. wouldn't be in the shape it's in right now where you have people who benefit from the government far more than they think they do protesting that very government. Rationality has gone out the window and intelligence is now known as "elitism."

I've lived in a state or two in the U.S. that had harsh penalties for drunk driving going back 20 years ago and at least there, it worked. If we wanted this problem to stop, we'd seize and sell people's cars once they got stopped a second time. In a sense, when someone drives impaired, they're using a motor vehicle to commit a crime, so the legality of that isn't as questionable as it may sound.

It's always bothered me that especially in the U.S., rather than deal with idiots, we lower the bar for everybody, attempting to ban things, blame anything but the person responsible, etc.
Old 05-21-13, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by cafzali
@Biker 395 See, this is where I depart from most people in discussions on this topic. The average person may be intelligent enough to "get the job done," so to speak, but I don't believe most people act intelligently. If this were the case, the U.S. wouldn't be in the shape it's in right now where you have people who benefit from the government far more than they think they do protesting that very government. Rationality has gone out the window and intelligence is now known as "elitism."
I'm guessing you don't like Fox News

Old 05-21-13, 11:02 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I'm doing Tour de Dork Disk this summer......
Old 05-21-13, 11:04 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395

So if you "up" the punishment, you increase the expected value of the cost of the activity, and fewer people will engage in it, right? Well, you'd think so, but studies show that that is not the case ... perhaps they just don't think they'll get caught. Conversely, the probability of getting caught figures very highly in the calculus. So many criminologists have concluded that it's better to spend money on increasing enforcement than increasing punishment. Odd, eh?
No, not odd at all. People smoke because they think the emphysema, lung cancer etc. probably won't happen to them. People commit crime because they think they won't get caught. What deters people is not the severity of the possible punishment, it is the probability that the punishment will actually take place. There's nothing terribly irrational about that, in my opinion.

You'd be far better off spending more on law enforcement than on increasing the harshness of the penalties. But of course, in the US and the UK the media would scream that any reduction in penalties was "soft on crime", ignoring the fact that many societies who have less extreme penalties, and are less likely to lock people up, have vastly lower crime rates.
Old 05-21-13, 11:26 AM

Old 05-21-13, 08:50 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please keep things civil. Throwing little barbs and jabs really doesn't do anything but disrupt the thread. Thanks for your cooperation with this.

CbadRider
Forum Admin

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 05-21-13, 09:52 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
As part of a bike ride and event organizing team, we would not "allow" breweries to sponsor rides, we would practically beg them to do it. I'm working on planning an upcoming dirt/gravel road ride and we have high hopes of getting sponsorship from a craft brewery. Nothing draws riders to an event like free beer.