Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What just happened?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What just happened?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-13, 04:18 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
We all have our limits. Regardless of nutrition or training level, we only have so many hills, sprints, etc, in our legs. It's early in the season, and you rode pretty hard. Don't worry about it too much.
I have a hard time thinking in terms of limits although I know they exist. I just don't believe I can't improve each year. So far that's been true. I truly believe I can get a lot faster/stronger if I can drop my weight from this morning's 191 to under 180 lbs. My obstacle is climbing and weight is a big factor for me. On that 40 mi. ride I referenced three of us took off about 5 mi. from the end and I led the last 2-3 mi. at speeds up to about 26 mpg. The other guys were 15-20 yrs younger than me. So flats are not a problem for me. If I get down to 180 lbs I think I will see my limit. Looking forward to it.

Again thank you for all the excellent responses and information. It really helps me and is very encouraging
Old 05-29-13, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by jppe
Depending on the pace that could be a good bit of climbing for 65 miles.
At ride's end everyone was talking about how hilly the ride was. This was a group of about 24 riders almost all of whom were B riders. Thanks to the hills the group averaged 13.5 mph for the 65 mi. Several riders also e-mailed our club list talking about how they didn't hydrate or eat enough and really suffered in the last few miles. As I mentioned I didn't feel bad at all except I just had no legs left and couldn't climb the smallest inclines. .
Old 05-29-13, 06:17 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I have a hard time thinking in terms of limits although I know they exist. I just don't believe I can't improve each year. So far that's been true. I truly believe I can get a lot faster/stronger if I can drop my weight from this morning's 191 to under 180 lbs. My obstacle is climbing and weight is a big factor for me. On that 40 mi. ride I referenced three of us took off about 5 mi. from the end and I led the last 2-3 mi. at speeds up to about 26 mpg. The other guys were 15-20 yrs younger than me. So flats are not a problem for me. If I get down to 180 lbs I think I will see my limit. Looking forward to it.

Again thank you for all the excellent responses and information. It really helps me and is very encouraging
I totally agree and have experienced the same.........Plus you will accomplish two things at once---part of getting to a lower weight will be the work improving cycling performance via training.
Old 05-30-13, 04:18 AM

Went out yesterday afternoon for our Weds B ride. About 10 of the same people from Monday's 65 mi. ride plus one A rider. It was only about 29 mi. @ 14.5 mph but I felt good. Was surprised that my legs had come back pretty well and I climbed as well as I have all season. The A rider and I finished about 5 minutes ahead of the group. Wasn't trying to "beat" anyone... just wanting to talk with the A guy who I haven't seen in awhile. Really encouraging.
Old 05-30-13, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
The irony is that you're running with some pretty big dogs here. B-grade and an A-grader? I only wish I was that good...