Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Signed up for the 100K HHH tonight.....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-13, 06:31 PM

Bikes: Fuji Robaix, Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My usual riding partner for the HHH can't make it this year so I am going alone. He lives there however one of his grand kids is having a birthday party. Grand kids birthday or ride with your brother....hard choice

This will be my fourth and longest ride at the HHH and every ride has had a different story. The second time I rode it, my brother's bike had been stolen a couple of months before and he was not in shape to ride but wanted to anyway. I had been riding pretty hard and 25 miles was part of my normal routine but did not want to leave him. We rode along at what may be a HHH record for the slowest 25 mile ride ever and as we were exiting the gate on the base, we were passed by some recumbent riders who were doing the 50 mile route when one of them asked where we did our training.....the dinner table? Made us all laugh.

OK, the point.....we always hear the bad stuff; the wrecks, the flats, the bad roads and surly drivers.....

What makes you laugh on your ride (besides watching me ride of course)?
Old 08-18-13, 06:46 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
I rode that in '83 or '84. I don't recall much about it except lots of punctures. If this is your first century, don't start out too fast and burn out early.

Once I was riding the Waco Wild West century a couple of years later and was in a paceline trying to keep my place on a long lefthand curve. Suddenly I saw a quill pedal cap roll by me, passing us and bouncing into the ditch. I wondered who the fool was that almost crashed the paceline, thinking it came from behind me. At the end of the century I picked my bike up to put in into my pickup and noticed my pedal cap missing.
Old 08-18-13, 07:28 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
On the two Ride the Rockies I did many, many years ago (oh, to be in that shape again!) there were a variety of folks riding. One guy in a tux with his bike fitted out as a bar; two folks from Scandanavia rode adult type foot pedaled scooters and other funny stuff.
Old 08-18-13, 10:08 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I ride the HHH almost every year (missed 1 recovering from a life threatening crash 2 months before HHH in 1989). The early years I rode 100 miles now I ride 75 so I can through the AF base. The best part is seeing all the cheering air force people. The last two or three have been cool temperatures which I like. The rest stops can be hilarious. One year I was riding at what I thought was a good pace and we passed a man riding with one leg. I thought we would not see him again but when we stopped at a rest stop in Iowa City (this was when the ride started at the stadium in the SW side of town) the man rode by the rest stop while we were resting. A true tortoise and hare story.