Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A Roll in the Mountains

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A Roll in the Mountains

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-15, 10:42 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
A Roll in the Mountains

Did a nice ride in the San Gabriels I thought you all might enjoy. Here is the route:

Highway 39 - Baldy Loop - Azusa, CA

The distance was about 90 miles, with 11,000 feet or so of climbing.

We started up Highway 39 ... one of my favorite roads in the area. Not only is it a nice climb with little or no traffic ... it is also a great descent. The climb varies from 6 to 8%, although there is a short 12% section. The best part is this bowl. Twisty climbs and twisty descents ... great fun.

One of the reasons Highway 39 has little traffic is because it is gated at Crystal Lake. The road is usually somewhat rocky, but rideable, if you're willing to risk your tires. And from there, you can ride all the way to Dawson's Saddle at 8000 feet. Personally I'm not a fan (tires are too expensive to get the sliced up on those rocks, and the descents are nothing special), but my partner wanted to give it a try, so we ducked under the gate and went for it.

We got about 200 yards before a Sheriff pulled us over. I don't play cute with these guys, so when they asked us if we saw the sign, I said "Sure, but it's never been enforced. Heck, we've had Sheriff officers wave at us riding through here."

They took our IDs and ran us through their system. I guess neither of us have any outstanding warrants, cuz they let us go with a warning. No matter to me ... I prefer taking the route we ultimately took. More climbing, better descents, and lots of food along the way. Yea baby.

So we rode to the Crystal Lake Cafe:

And I had one of these. Yum. There IS a hot dog in there somewhere:

After that, we took the long, SWEET descent back down to the Junction and headed over to Camp Williams for a climb up Glendora Mountain Road. From there, we took Glendora Ridge Road (GRR) to Mt. Baldy Village. GRR follows a ridge between the LA basin and the San Gabriels, all the while with a view of Mt. Baldy at 10,000+ feet. What a view.

Here is the climber's view of Baldy:

And it's entertainingly twisty.

We shared a basket of fries and a couple of cokes. My partner headed back home along a different route, and I took GRR back to the starting point, stopping frequently for pictures. Oy, it was beautiful.

Eventually, you get a view so expansive, you can make out the skyscrapers of downtown LA and the Santa Monica Bay.

I threw together a video of the descents. It's too long, and I've got to find a way to tighten up the helmet mount to minimize the shaking. But you guys might find it entertaining. The transition at about 9:30 shows Glendora Ridge Road.

As for the music ... I love Philip Glass.

Last edited by Biker395; 02-10-15 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-10-15, 11:58 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Great photos (as usual) and great route Vic. This is a ride I did last Spring when I was training for the Devil Mountain double. Well, except that I threw in the Ski Lift climb above Mt. Baldy Village so I would have some serious Sierra Road simulations.

I know this route well and I wish I could transport the cyclists from this 50+ forum to enjoy this ride with us.

Although, having said that, 86 miles and 10,000 feet of climbing would be a bit much for the newbies! I'm sure all the experienced cyclists would really enjoy the views and the road. Plus, great food at Crystal Lake Cafe, Camp Williams and Mt. Baldy Lodge!

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-10-15, 12:05 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

It is a lot of climbing! The odd thing is that if you do this kind of thing often enough, it's not even all that tiring. If I wasn't afraid of running out of daylight (and worse, having the sun right in approaching drivers' eyes on Sierra Madre on the way back), I'd have stayed out longer. It was really sublime ... again!

I've had the same thought about the other 50 plussers out there. I just know that any one of them would really enjoy the route. It's truly epic with great climbs, great descents on great road surfaces, and all the time, with great views. And those three little cafes at Crystal Lake, Camp Williams, and Baldy ... all classic mountain cafes with great service and very appreciative owners.

BTW, I dunno if you heard, but Bubba the Cat (and official ambassador of the Crystal Lake Cafe) had gone missing. No one knows if another animal nabbed him or if he was taken home by a visitor. But there is a new feline ... a very friendly bloke named "Crystal."

Old 02-10-15, 03:33 PM

Bikes: 2014 Trek 7.3FX,2015 Trek Domane 4.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks great but I wouldn't ride that road for all the tea in china. I'm not fond of going much over 30 mph and I'm not fond of heights.
I guess I will just stick to the flats here in the Midwest.

I'm glad you had a great ride and thanks for sharing.
Old 02-10-15, 03:57 PM
Seat Sniffer

My speeds were actually in the range of 30-35 MPH max. I don't like going very much faster than that. KE increasing with the square of the speed and all that.

For sure, if you're afraid of heights, those roads are not going to be your cup of tea!

Funny counterpoint: That day, some friends were doing a flat ride along the San Gabriel River Trail. 70 miles of utterly flat riding from one part of the LA basin to the other. I really wanted to ride with them, but flats bore me, so I did the mountains instead. I have to say that without hills, I'm not sure I'd ride a bike at all, except for transportation.

I wonder what the other 50plusers prefer? Flat? Hilly? Mountainous? A mix of both?

Old 02-10-15, 04:36 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
These are beautiful pictures, I never thought Southern California offered such good and beautiful rides!
Old 02-10-15, 09:19 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to ride these hills. The only problem is I don't think my legs have 11,000 feet of capacity in them. I might have to use an e-assist bike.
Old 02-10-15, 09:44 PM

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
Thanks for the pics! I road those roads regularly 25 year ago. Back then I didn't realize how spoiled I was. Mountain roads right out my door.

I also miss the weekly training opportunities around Bonelli Park with all the local racers. And I miss being 25 younger.
Old 02-11-15, 05:51 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Beautiful ride and great photos as usual. People who don't live near mountains and sea are definitely missing a lot.

Keep up the ride reports as motivation to me to get back on the bike in the summer once my leg injury recovers.

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 02-11-15 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-11-15, 07:11 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Absolutely beautiful ride report, I'd love to get out your way, Vic. Some actual, real mountains to ride and train on.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-11-15, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Was this Sunday? Karen had planned for Saturday but she got sick, but I know a few did go and went to Dawson Saddle,(saw a pic TJ posted).
I think it's unusual for the cops to turn you back, it's never happened to me but I have jeard of it before.
When are yu going again? I have some friends who have never done 39 and they will give it a go.
Old 02-11-15, 11:18 AM
Seat Sniffer

Thanks, you guys!

Big John: Yep. Loren and I didn't like the weather report for Saturday, and decided to do it Sunday instead. Did you see the TJs pix of what Highway 2 looked like between Islip and Dawson? Holy crap ... I'd have turned around. It's not worth slicing up your tires like that. Dangerous stuff.

We're probably going to go visit the Miscreant up in San Luis Obispo on Saturday ... maybe Sunday?

Old 02-11-15, 11:29 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Loved the tour report. Thanks.
Old 02-11-15, 08:42 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
And I had one of these. Yum. There IS a hot dog in there somewhere:

And it's entertainingly twisty.

I'm not sure which would be the bigger motivation for me, the food at the halfway point, or the amazing roads to ride and the views. But I'll take both please.
Old 02-11-15, 10:55 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
BTW, I dunno if you heard, but Bubba the Cat (and official ambassador of the Crystal Lake Cafe) had gone missing. No one knows if another animal nabbed him or if he was taken home by a visitor. But there is a new feline ... a very friendly bloke named "Crystal."
Yes Vic, I had heard that Bubba was missing. Sad and tragic; he was such an excellent Cat Ambassador for Crystal Lake Café. I have not met the new cat (just a kitten I think) but Lois has and she's total cat-lady so very much appreciates the new "Crystal" kitten.

For those on facebook, here is a link to Bubba's fb page: https://www.facebook.com/BubbaTheCat...rOfCrystalLake

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-12-15, 09:48 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
What was that sign saying about shoes???
Old 02-13-15, 02:47 PM
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by h2oxtc
I'm not sure which would be the bigger motivation for me, the food at the halfway point, or the amazing roads to ride and the views. But I'll take both please.
Lol ... you and me both. I loves me both hot dogs and hot descents. :-)

Originally Posted by jppe
What was that sign saying about shoes???
Something to the effect that if you contact domesticated sheep, don't wear the same shoes when entering the area. I think they are concerned about spreading disease or parasites.

FWIW, I have never seen any bighorn sheep in the area, but other cyclist friends have. They are wily and damn hard to spot.

Old 02-13-15, 03:43 PM

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gorgeous views!
Here in Florida it's flat then flat and swampy, then flat again.
Did I mention that it's flat??
Old 02-14-15, 02:12 PM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Great series of photos! I live so reasonably close to the San Gabriels and yet I so rarely ride there.