Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Curve D3 resale value?

Reply

Old 12-25-17, 03:39 PM
  #1  
DLBroox
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DLBroox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 936

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Curve D3, Dahon Mu Uno

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Curve D3 resale value?

I have a Dahon Curve D3. Itís about ten years old. Been stored in my apartment and has relatively low mileage. It looks like a new bike for the most part. I have to replace the inner tubes as one did fail recently, but other than that itís in great shape. My question is, how much would it be worth based on that description.? Iím debating whether to try to sell it or donate it to a womanís shelter that takes donations that can be sold or given to the women and kids.
DLBroox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-17, 04:06 PM
  #2  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 33,821

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Probably get more at the yacht harbor , for the sailing elites..


how much did it cost .. take half.. donating you have a week to possibly get an itemized charitable donation tax credit, deduction.

next year 1/1/18, the level you have to exceed to make a donation deductible doubles..






....

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-25-17 at 04:11 PM.
fietsbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-17, 11:12 PM
  #3  
Joe Remi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 904

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
You might get $300 for it if you wait a while.
Joe Remi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-17, 01:11 PM
  #4  
L Arnold 
**thusi*st
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 200

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
I'd say $500 is a good place if it has not been used much. It's a rare bike that some folks are looking for for sure. Was going for $700 when last available. Racks and Fenders are available for the bike and the Big Apple tires are considered premium. There have been a few versions of the transmission on the bike. Seems there were both SRAM and Sturmey Archer 3 Speeds available. Upgrading to a 7 or 8 speed is interesting. Could also do 2 speed front to make it 6 speed.
__________________
Landis Arnold
Nomadic, Inc.
Folding Bikes and more in Colorado
L Arnold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-17, 02:13 PM
  #5  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 33,821

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
I know its about him, OP, selling , on this thread..

but, Mr Arnold, a shopkeeper, chiming in, Bene Sugg: look into the new Efneo GTRO looks good , an internal geared 3 speed ,
so needs no front derailleur ..[ Or bracket needed to fit one.. on telescoping behind the BB folding bikes..]
1:1 low a 28t , overdrive 2nd & 3rd, are effectively a 40 & 50t.. Merry Sales Imports picked it up.

Patterson Metro is also a 1:1 28t low, with a '45t' high...

a cable shifted variant in the niche of a Schlumpf speed drive (which uses a 34t chainring at its minimum, 34, '54')...





....
fietsbob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-17, 09:20 PM
  #6  
DLBroox
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DLBroox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 936

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Curve D3, Dahon Mu Uno

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
I know its about him, OP, selling , on this thread..

but, Mr Arnold, a shopkeeper, chiming in, Bene Sugg: look into the new Efneo GTRO looks good , an internal geared 3 speed ,
so needs no front derailleur ..[ Or bracket needed to fit one.. on telescoping behind the BB folding bikes..]
1:1 low a 28t , overdrive 2nd & 3rd, are effectively a 40 & 50t.. Merry Sales Imports picked it up.

Patterson Metro is also a 1:1 28t low, with a '45t' high...

a cable shifted variant in the niche of a Schlumpf speed drive (which uses a 34t chainring at its minimum, 34, '54')...





....
I'm not trying to sell the bike on this thread. I wanted to know it's value.
DLBroox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 10:26 AM
  #7  
ThorUSA
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Olney Illinois USA
Posts: 1,047

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
you should have no problem selling it for 300
ThorUSA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 11:55 AM
  #8  
L Arnold 
**thusi*st
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 200

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
I know its about him, OP, selling , on this thread..

but, Mr Arnold, a shopkeeper, chiming in, Bene Sugg: look into the new Efneo GTRO looks good , an internal geared 3 speed ,
so needs no front derailleur ..[ Or bracket needed to fit one.. on telescoping behind the BB folding bikes..]
1:1 low a 28t , overdrive 2nd & 3rd, are effectively a 40 & 50t.. Merry Sales Imports picked it up.

Patterson Metro is also a 1:1 28t low, with a '45t' high...

a cable shifted variant in the niche of a Schlumpf speed drive (which uses a 34t chainring at its minimum, 34, '54')...





....
I very much like the Patterson Metro. I've got 2 in the shop. That is what I was thinking when I said make it 6 speed (if starting with 3). (46T high I always thought).. Though you can convert it to start with a 46 T-Ring and have your second effective ring be about 73T.

Efneo GTRO looks very interesting. Thank you for the heads up on this #fietsbob !
__________________
Landis Arnold
Nomadic, Inc.
Folding Bikes and more in Colorado
L Arnold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-17, 06:32 PM
  #9  
DLBroox
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DLBroox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 936

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Curve D3, Dahon Mu Uno

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Originally Posted by ThorUSA View Post
you should have no problem selling it for 300
Ok thanks. I was thinking it wasn't worth that much so I'm glad I asked before just giving it away.
DLBroox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 09:39 PM
  #10  
edelay
Senior Member
 
edelay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 291

Bikes: Dahon Curve D8 (Sturmey Archer X-RF8), Crius Smart 3.0 5 speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DLBroox View Post
I have a Dahon Curve D3. Itís about ten years old. Been stored in my apartment and has relatively low mileage. It looks like a new bike for the most part. I have to replace the inner tubes as one did fail recently, but other than that itís in great shape. My question is, how much would it be worth based on that description.? Iím debating whether to try to sell it or donate it to a womanís shelter that takes donations that can be sold or given to the women and kids.
New Curve's go for $600US on ebay. I see used ones up here for around $400US on Craigslist every few months.
edelay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-18, 11:37 AM
  #11  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,402

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
I'm glad I spotted THIS thread,....thanks for the Curve!!!
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-18, 02:39 PM
  #12  
DLBroox
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DLBroox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 936

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Curve D3, Dahon Mu Uno

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
I’m happy it’s going to a good home. And I’m gettjng the jetsteam handlepost thanks to our fortuitous meeting so I’m super excited to finish modding my Mu!
DLBroox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-18, 07:54 PM
  #13  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,402

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
We both have to post some pics after we finish doing our mods,...I'm going to put some black bits on (if ThorUSA ever answers my call,...).
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-18, 06:53 AM
  #14  
DLBroox
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DLBroox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 936

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Curve D3, Dahon Mu Uno

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
We both have to post some pics after we finish doing our mods,...I'm going to put some black bits on (if ThorUSA ever answers my call,...).
I emailed the other day and never got an answer. Maybe he's out of town or on vacation.
DLBroox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-18, 10:51 AM
  #15  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,402

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DLBroox View Post
I emailed the other day and never got an answer. Maybe he's out of town or on vacation.
I know he was at a birthday party, possibly in Europe. The thing is I called the company and left a voicemail,...I got no response. Normally they call back the next day. I'll try again, later today.

PS: 10mm allen socket on board,...thanks for the correct measurement.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...

Last edited by tds101; 03-29-18 at 04:38 PM.
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-18, 04:47 PM
  #16  
Joe Remi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 904

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
I know he was at a birthday party, possibly in Europe. The thing is I called the company and left a voicemail,...I got no response. Normally they call back the next day. I'll try again, later today.

PS: 10mm allen socket on board,...thanks for the correct measurement.
My Dahon UNO Belt from Thor just arrived today, he was definitely answering emails a week ago. Maybe he took this week off.
Joe Remi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-18, 04:58 PM
  #17  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,402

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
My Dahon UNO Belt from Thor just arrived today, he was definitely answering emails a week ago. Maybe he took this week off.
Yeah,...I saw on FaceBook that he was away,...no biggie. I'm just inquiring about some parts. No rush really,...
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-18, 11:50 AM
  #18  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,402

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
I received my Curve yesterday, and I'm in the process of making a few modifications. Front stem (swiped off of my Dahon Speed 3i) & handlebars are now black, new alloy folding pedals, I'm heading out later for new, heavy-duty Goodyear inner tubes, and eventually I'll do the 8 speed Sturmey-Archer igh hub upgrade.

I'm so happy right now,...THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-18, 01:25 AM
  #19  
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,733
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
I received my Curve yesterday, and I'm in the process of making a few modifications. Front stem (swiped off of my Dahon Speed 3i) & handlebars are now black, new alloy folding pedals, I'm heading out later for new, heavy-duty Goodyear inner tubes, and eventually I'll do the 8 speed Sturmey-Archer igh hub upgrade.

I'm so happy right now,...THANK YOU SO MUCH @DLBroox!!!
Welcome in the club!

I need to ride mine more. I keep it for when I do not want to risk the B being stolen. Not sure I`ll ever put a heavy SA 8 speed but maybe a 5 speed.
badmother is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-18, 06:52 AM
  #20  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,402

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Originally Posted by badmother View Post
Welcome in the club!

I need to ride mine more. I keep it for when I do not want to risk the B being stolen. Not sure I`ll ever put a heavy SA 8 speed but maybe a 5 speed.
Thank you!!! I wanted something small to take to work for lunch time rides.

As to the 5 speed vs 8 speed hub, I had the 5 speed hub on a bike in the past. I didn't like the steps on it, and gave the bike to my oldest son. He loves it,...I won't do that hub again.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-18, 02:37 PM
  #21  
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,733
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
Thank you!!! I wanted something small to take to work for lunch time rides.

As to the 5 speed vs 8 speed hub, I had the 5 speed hub on a bike in the past. I didn't like the steps on it, and gave the bike to my oldest son. He loves it,...I won't do that hub again.
I use it as a 5x2 setup on my B. I like it. I bet it can be done on the Curve too..
badmother is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-18, 05:41 PM
  #22  
Joe Remi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 904

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Originally Posted by badmother View Post
I use it as a 5x2 setup on my B. I like it. I bet it can be done on the Curve too..
Probably not. I discovered the hard way that a Curve D3 is very sensitive to moving the chainline much; there isn't a lot of room in there between the frame sections. I don't think two chainrings up front would work.
Joe Remi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-18, 06:16 PM
  #23  
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,733
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
Probably not. I discovered the hard way that a Curve D3 is very sensitive to moving the chainline much; there isn't a lot of room in there between the frame sections. I don't think two chainrings up front would work.
You could be right. I remember playing with different sizes of cogs on the stock SA 3 speed and you need to stick to a few sizes that can fit in there.
badmother is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-18, 07:42 AM
  #24  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,402

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
I'll do the 8 speed Sturmey-Archer,...I know it'll work.
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-18, 06:10 PM
  #25  
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Posts: 2,402

Bikes: 7+,...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
I took her out for a spin tonight,...and I realized an important thing: I'm so outta shape, and the car accident really makes it difficult for me to ride a bike right now. Ugh,... She definitely is getting an 8 speed Sturmey-Archer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dahon Curve 1.jpg (557.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg
Dahon Curve 2.jpg (665.8 KB, 30 views)
__________________
If it wasn't for you meddling kids,...

Last edited by tds101; 04-05-18 at 06:19 PM.
tds101 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service