Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Gitane Royal LVX - Year? Age?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Gitane Royal LVX - Year? Age?

Old 09-08-19, 03:35 PM
  #1  
Chicago2
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gitane Royal LVX - Year? Age?

Hi,

I have a Gitane Royal LVX folding bike. (That's what is says on the back of the seat: Royal LVX). I'm trying to figure out what year it is / how old it is. I can't attach photos because I'm a newbie--I'm restricted from doing so, for now. Is anyone familiar with this bicycle? Is there a market for this bike?

Much appreciate the assistance.

Thank you.

Last edited by Chicago2; 09-08-19 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Needed clarification
Chicago2 is offline  
Old 09-09-19, 09:02 PM
  #2  
Pine Cone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Western Washington
Posts: 355

Bikes: 2-many...2 road bikes, 2 fixed wheels, 3 tandems, 2 recumbents, 2 cyclecross, 3 mtb, 4 folders

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome to the world of folding bikes!

Without a picture or description it is impossible to ID the bike. I worked at a bike shop that sold Gitanes in the mid-1970s. None had any obvious model numbers or names on the bike. Sounds like the saddle is a Royal LVX. Very unlikely that is the bike name.

Does it have a coaster brake? Hub Gears? Freewheel and derailleur? Who made the brakes? What is the frame like? What size wheels? Any clue about what decade it was made?

Without more details who knows what your bike is.

Unlikely it is worth much. Most folding bikes made before the 1990s are heavy and pretty unexciting. I don't remember Gitane or any other French manufacturer making any folding bikes in any decade.
Pine Cone is offline  
Old 09-10-19, 10:44 AM
  #3  
bargainguy
Senior Member
 
bargainguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Trekland
Posts: 1,909
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 43 Posts
Like this one?

https://budgetbicyclectr.com/vintage...icycle-16.html
bargainguy is online now  
Old 09-10-19, 06:09 PM
  #4  
Chicago2
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pine Cone View Post
Welcome to the world of folding bikes!

Without a picture or description it is impossible to ID the bike. I worked at a bike shop that sold Gitanes in the mid-1970s. None had any obvious model numbers or names on the bike. Sounds like the saddle is a Royal LVX. Very unlikely that is the bike name.

Does it have a coaster brake? Hub Gears? Freewheel and derailleur? Who made the brakes? What is the frame like? What size wheels? Any clue about what decade it was made?

Without more details who knows what your bike is.

Unlikely it is worth much. Most folding bikes made before the 1990s are heavy and pretty unexciting. I don't remember Gitane or any other French manufacturer making any folding bikes in any decade.
Thank you. You have a lot of good questions that I don't have the answers to.

A family member thinks it might be from the late 1950's.
Chicago2 is offline  
Old 09-10-19, 06:19 PM
  #5  
Chicago2
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For some reason, my 'Quick Replies' aren't being posted.

Bargainguy:

Thanks for the link. Mine is quite similar: Same logo, same mechanism in the center to fold / unfold the bike, but mine's green. Do you think the one pictured is really worth $599, retail?


PineCone:

Thank you. You've got a lot of good questions that I don't have the answers to. A family member thinks its from the late 1950's.
Chicago2 is offline  
Old 09-10-19, 08:27 PM
  #6  
sweeks
Senior Member
 
sweeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 1,486

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy View Post

Originally Posted by Chicago2 View Post
Bargainguy:
Thanks for the link. Mine is quite similar: Same logo, same mechanism in the center to fold / unfold the bike, but mine's green. Do you think the one pictured is really worth $599, retail?
Looks like that one has a cracked weld between the head tube and the top tube. Notice the "sold as-is" statement. I wouldn't buy it at any price. Yours might be in better shape.
sweeks is offline  
Old 09-10-19, 08:43 PM
  #7  
bargainguy
Senior Member
 
bargainguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Trekland
Posts: 1,909
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 43 Posts
Um, no, not worth $599. BBC is an outlier and their ask does not represent the market.
bargainguy is online now  
Old 09-16-19, 07:42 PM
  #8  
Chicago2
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sweeks View Post
Looks like that one has a cracked weld between the head tube and the top tube. Notice the "sold as-is" statement. I wouldn't buy it at any price. Yours might be in better shape.
Thank you. I missed that possible cracked welt. When this system allows, I'll post photos of my Gitane.
Chicago2 is offline  
Old 09-16-19, 07:46 PM
  #9  
Chicago2
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bargainguy View Post
Um, no, not worth $599. BBC is an outlier and their ask does not represent the market.
Thank you. Good to know that BBC is an outlier. When this system allows, I'll post photos of mine and see what everyone says.
Chicago2 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Robyx
Folding Bikes
26
04-25-17 10:30 AM
jogya03
Folding Bikes
5
05-17-16 09:29 PM
Chevym14
Folding Bikes
12
02-22-14 09:47 AM
kamtsa
Folding Bikes
1
04-14-12 02:53 PM
frenchbikefan
Classic & Vintage
2
01-27-11 06:51 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.