Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Inflating Brompton Tires - Need Advice

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Inflating Brompton Tires - Need Advice

Old 02-16-24, 02:09 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
ciclista_pazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 181

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute, Yokota mountain bike (199?), 1979 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Inflating Brompton Tires - Need Advice

I need to inflate my Brompton's tires. I tried to use my Joe Blow floor pump but it was pretty much impossible to get it to go over the valve due to the size of it and needing to get around the spokes. I've seen some people recommending a Lezyne Floor Pump, but there are lots of them out there and I'm not sure which one to get for a Brompton. Some forums recommend a Lezyne for Brompton but I can't find that anywhere. Does anyone have suggestions for specific products?

Also, I tried inflating the rear tire while the bike was fully unfolded and the bike kept slipping and crashing to the ground even though I had it propped against a wall (I don't have someone to hold it for me). I then tried folding in the rear tire so it's in the "kickstand" position, but then the tire keeps rolling forward when I try to attach the valve. Is there an ideal way to position the bike when trying to inflate the rear tire? I don't want to keep dropping it to the ground as you can imagine and am at a loss for how people are doing this. Videos on Youtube don't seem to address this.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
ciclista_pazza is offline  
Old 02-17-24, 01:28 AM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Bleu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
First, chock the wheels, use some sticks or a couple of rocks it can't roll and fall over. I use a Giant branded floor pump air tower 0 or something..Silca Tattica works fine , Topeak road pocket rocket also.
Bleu is offline  
Likes For Bleu:
Old 02-17-24, 02:58 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 736

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 173 Posts
On kids bikes (14"), I use a traditional flexi hose connected to the foot pump because I got tired of hitting my fingers on cogs of frame as I unplug the pump.

Alternatively, if you can fit schrader valved tube, then you can fit bent extension which make life easier
Fentuz is offline  
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 02-17-24, 04:45 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,502
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 299 Posts
Are these presta or schrader valve tubes? If presta, are they extra long valve stems? I know the wheels on a Brompton are small, but with typical pumps having a 90 degree head, I can't see the difficulty you are having.

If the bike is not stable stood up, lay it on its side on the floor. Or fully fold it, both tire valves should be accessible.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 02-17-24 at 04:49 AM.
Duragrouch is online now  
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 02-17-24, 05:32 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 161 Posts
My memory is faded a bit, but I once had a stroller/trailer/kids bike type tire that was too small for my pump to hook on to. I took it to the bike shop. They had to look around for the tool because they didn't use it much, but they found it and pumped up the tire. Once I saw what they used, I picked one up at Home Depot on the way home - it was some sort of adapter for a regular pump.
ScottCommutes is offline  
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 02-17-24, 06:22 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,541
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Brompton mount Schrader valve tubes.
Jipe is offline  
Likes For Jipe:
Old 02-17-24, 09:49 AM
  #7  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
ciclista_pazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 181

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute, Yokota mountain bike (199?), 1979 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Are these presta or schrader valve tubes? If presta, are they extra long valve stems? I know the wheels on a Brompton are small, but with typical pumps having a 90 degree head, I can't see the difficulty you are having.

If the bike is not stable stood up, lay it on its side on the floor. Or fully fold it, both tire valves should be accessible.
They are Marathon Plus 16x35 so should be schrader. I was able to get a small Topeak hand pump to work to some extent but it was nearly impossible to get them fully inflated with that, and I can't see what the PSI is with that pump. I had a Brompton previously (that I later sold) that came with a pump but not this one and the Brompton pump is a little expensive at ~ $40.
ciclista_pazza is offline  
Old 02-17-24, 09:54 AM
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
ciclista_pazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 181

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute, Yokota mountain bike (199?), 1979 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
My memory is faded a bit, but I once had a stroller/trailer/kids bike type tire that was too small for my pump to hook on to. I took it to the bike shop. They had to look around for the tool because they didn't use it much, but they found it and pumped up the tire. Once I saw what they used, I picked one up at Home Depot on the way home - it was some sort of adapter for a regular pump.
Your comment was so helpful! I think I figured out what you're referring to. For schrader valves, it's called a "90 degree valve extension". This looks like what I need - thanks!
ciclista_pazza is offline  
Likes For ciclista_pazza:
Old 02-17-24, 11:14 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,502
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by ciclista_pazza
Your comment was so helpful! I think I figured out what you're referring to. For schrader valves, it's called a "90 degree valve extension". This looks like what I need - thanks!
Gosh I'm looking online at a Brompton pic, and I can't see the issue, it looks like plenty of radial clearance (between valve stem and hub), unless it's laced with spokes crossing the valve stem? Or do you mean circumferential clearance (along rim) to adjacent spokes? Is the pump head that large? Those valve extensions are designed for truck and trailer tires, and may throw your wheel off balance, if left on.


Last edited by Duragrouch; 02-17-24 at 11:17 PM.
Duragrouch is online now  
Old 02-18-24, 08:37 AM
  #10  
Schwinnasaur
 
Schwinnsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,565
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Gosh I'm looking online at a Brompton pic, and I can't see the issue, it looks like plenty of radial clearance (between valve stem and hub), unless it's laced with spokes crossing the valve stem? Or do you mean circumferential clearance (along rim) to adjacent spokes? Is the pump head that large? Those valve extensions are designed for truck and trailer tires, and may throw your wheel off balance, if left on.

The pump head on his pump may differ from what is typical. On some Bromptons have less vertical space due to dynamo or e-motor.
Schwinnsta is offline  
Old 02-18-24, 10:52 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,502
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
The pump head on his pump may differ from what is typical. On some Bromptons have less vertical space due to dynamo or e-motor.
Ah. Front dynamo should be smaller flange than the rear hub, but a front motor on 349s, yeah I could see a lot tighter fit. Good call. I couldn't figure out for the life of me what the problem was. Pump heads aren't that big, unless no 90 degree head, the head is coaxial with the pump tubing?
Duragrouch is online now  
Old 02-26-24, 11:07 PM
  #12  
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
This hose adapter works great for the Brompton:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MXBYPT2
It is easier to use than the right-angle valve adapter.
biker101 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.