General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Huffy Serial Number Info

Old 01-01-17, 02:17 PM
  #1  
kcblair
Old Legs
Thread Starter
 
kcblair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Mass.
Posts: 1,099

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore-Campy Athena,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Huffy Serial Number Info

Where is a good place to search info on my Huffy Concours serial number. Info like year of mfgr. , country of mfgr (I'm suspecting France maybe Motebecane) and any other pertinent info ? Thank you.
kcblair is offline  
Old 01-01-17, 03:20 PM
  #2  
cb400bill
Administrator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 16,326

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1 (carbon fiber), Pinarello Stelvio (steel), Cannondale Synapse (aluminum)

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
A few years ago I missed out on picking one of these up. Please post up some pics.
cb400bill is offline  
Old 01-01-17, 05:12 PM
  #3  
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy
 
Johnny Mullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ashtabula, Ohio
Posts: 1,445

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually the first number in the serial is the last number of the year, but then you have to figure out the decade by the parts on it. Example......

The bike below has a serial number starting with H3*******

By the headbadge sticker and components, this bike is a 1983 model............

Johnny Mullet is offline  
Old 01-01-17, 05:48 PM
  #4  
kcblair
Old Legs
Thread Starter
 
kcblair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Mass.
Posts: 1,099

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore-Campy Athena,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cb400bill View Post
A few years ago I missed out on picking one of these up. Please post up some pics.

Huffy.jpgThe serial number starts F0*****, which would be made 1980. I bought the bike in 80 or 81. Shortly after, I added a SR Apex crankset (46/32T), lighter alloy wheels, Suntour Mountech RD with 34T freewheel. I'm hoping to verify, the frame set was made by Motobecane.
kcblair is offline  
Old 01-01-17, 08:28 PM
  #5  
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy
 
Johnny Mullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ashtabula, Ohio
Posts: 1,445

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ Those were made by Motobecane. I almost bought one off Craigslist last year.
Johnny Mullet is offline  
Old 01-02-17, 07:10 AM
  #6  
kcblair
Old Legs
Thread Starter
 
kcblair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Mass.
Posts: 1,099

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore-Campy Athena,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
^ Those were made by Motobecane. I almost bought one off Craigslist last year.
Thanks JM, I'm going to slap a "Made in France" decal on the seat tube. Was about to change the bike to a Motobecane, during the restoration, but too much painting.
kcblair is offline  
Old 01-02-17, 11:23 AM
  #7  
VegasTriker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sin City, Nevada
Posts: 2,102

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It is not a very high end Motobecane. The company made everything from the top-of-the-line Le Champion to the entry level Mirage. I owned both, the former for a fine quality steel frame road bike and the latter as a beater bike I kept at work for transportation between facilities. The Le Champion was $350 in 1973 (a month's wages for me back then) to the $20 I paid for the used Mirage. It's funny in that Motobecane used the same color scheme for the '73 Le Champion and the low-end '74 Mirage (very irksome!). It is roughly the same one used here for this 1984 Concours https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/17390093591 or 58 Cm Huffy Concours Photo by keller412 | Photobucket Notice the QR front wheel but the solid axle rear. It is about the same quality as the Mirage I owned. Lugged frame and modestly priced components, It shouldn't be surprising that Huffy chose the entry level model to import as it was a step up from the welded frame US models but not so expensive as to chase away customers.
VegasTriker is offline  
Old 01-02-17, 03:29 PM
  #8  
kcblair
Old Legs
Thread Starter
 
kcblair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Mass.
Posts: 1,099

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore-Campy Athena,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VegasTriker View Post
It is not a very high end Motobecane. The company made everything from the top-of-the-line Le Champion to the entry level Mirage. I owned both, the former for a fine quality steel frame road bike and the latter as a beater bike I kept at work for transportation between facilities. The Le Champion was $350 in 1973 (a month's wages for me back then) to the $20 I paid for the used Mirage. It's funny in that Motobecane used the same color scheme for the '73 Le Champion and the low-end '74 Mirage (very irksome!). It is roughly the same one used here for this 1984 Concours https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/17390093591 or 58 Cm Huffy Concours Photo by keller412 | Photobucket Notice the QR front wheel but the solid axle rear. It is about the same quality as the Mirage I owned. Lugged frame and modestly priced components, It shouldn't be surprising that Huffy chose the entry level model to import as it was a step up from the welded frame US models but not so expensive as to chase away customers.
Yep, that's the bike. That was the first thing I did, was replace the wheels. I ran Advocet 27x1 tires on the rims, (can't remember the type, since damaged and replaced.) It was a greatt touring bike, many centuries and other cross state tours. Bought it at the Base Exchange in Omaha, Ne. (Offutt AFB, $230 in 80-81). Was shipped to Germany in '83 and brought the bike with me, to tour around.

Then I joined a Local cycling club and got the racing bug. I was introduced to a LBS, where I bought my first real racing bike Ciocc, complete with tubulars, off the shelf. In '90, as I was close to retiring, I treated myself to my first, fully custom fitted and designed bike , Concorde Astore, all Campy, what a dream bike.

Still ride the Ciocc and Concorde, the Huffy is under going a full restoration and some upgrades at the moment.
kcblair is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.