General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cracked frame under seat clamp

Old 05-25-18, 03:27 PM
  #1  
Lipown3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cracked frame under seat clamp

Hi,

i am recently owner of new merida bike for three weeks. Yesterday after cleaning I noticed a crack under the seat clamp. Took it to Merida for check, they confirmed the crack and that i overtighten the clamp, gave me a carbon grease and told me that it will not probably spread - warranty not agreed. I still not agree I overtighten the clamp and I am 100% sure. Can you help me how to proceed please? I am really stressed

Last edited by Lipown3; 05-25-18 at 03:27 PM. Reason: misstypo
Lipown3 is offline  
Old 05-25-18, 03:28 PM
  #2  
Lipown3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
http://www.dropbox.com/s/cnnlgf2o13y...95910.jpg?dl=0
Lipown3 is offline  
Old 05-25-18, 03:51 PM
  #3  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 3,772

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 35 Posts
Drill a small hole at the end of the crack, then it won't spread.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 05-25-18, 03:55 PM
  #4  
Lipown3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
Drill a small hole at the end of the crack, then it won't spread.
It's a carbon frame and as you can se there are three lines of cracks parallely. The longest one ends almost at the main frame tube.
Lipown3 is offline  
Old 05-25-18, 06:21 PM
  #5  
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 20,359

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
New bike? Take it back to the dealer for them to assess for warranty replacement.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Old 05-25-18, 06:35 PM
  #6  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,624
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2144 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Don't drill any holes. Warranty the frame. If the shop doesn't want to warranty it, contact the manufacturer directly.

Also, read the manual that came with the bike and see if it has any specific information about tightening the seat clamp. If there isn't, then it is not your fault.
Kontact is offline  
Old 05-25-18, 06:38 PM
  #7  
Patriot1 
Retired loving & Life!
 
Patriot1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Western NC
Posts: 582

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920ís, (2) Giant Sedonas

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
Don't drill any holes. Warranty the frame. If the shop doesn't want to warranty it, contact the manufacturer directly.

Also, read the manual that came with the bike and see if it has any specific information about tightening the seat clamp. If there isn't, then it is not your fault.
exactly.
Patriot1 is offline  
Old 05-25-18, 07:35 PM
  #8  
TiHabanero
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,250
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Do not rely on the manual only. If the clamp has markings noting 5 or 6nm, that is the torque setting for the clamp. If exceeded, you will crack the frame. Seen it before. If you do not have a torque wrench capable of this torque setting, and you messed with the clamp, it is likely you over tightened (torqued) it.
TiHabanero is offline  
Old 05-26-18, 03:33 AM
  #9  
Lipown3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero View Post
Do not rely on the manual only. If the clamp has markings noting 5 or 6nm, that is the torque setting for the clamp. If exceeded, you will crack the frame. Seen it before. If you do not have a torque wrench capable of this torque setting, and you messed with the clamp, it is likely you over tightened (torqued) it.
Clamp has 7Nm on it, used wrench to maximum around 4Nm. In manual is "as prescribed on componen". I am sure this is not my fault. Local distributor refused warranty. I sent email directly to Taiwan (Merida). They are checking now. Now I am waiting and stressing out.
Lipown3 is offline  
Old 05-26-18, 07:39 AM
  #10  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,590

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6748 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 162 Times in 138 Posts
Prepare yourself to bid it goodbye .. you did not buy it from a bike shop ?
or you expected to go past them rather than to the dealer first?
fietsbob is online now  
Old 05-26-18, 10:34 AM
  #11  
phughes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,148
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lipown3 View Post
Clamp has 7Nm on it, used wrench to maximum around 4Nm. In manual is "as prescribed on componen". I am sure this is not my fault. Local distributor refused warranty. I sent email directly to Taiwan (Merida). They are checking now. Now I am waiting and stressing out.
So you are saying you used a torque wrench? Just clarifying.
phughes is offline  
Old 05-26-18, 03:22 PM
  #12  
Troul
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
if the place you bought it from will not honor it as defective, the oem should handle it. How they do, that may not be in anyone's favor but there own.
Troul is offline  
Old 05-27-18, 12:01 PM
  #13  
Lipown3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
if the place you bought it from will not honor it as defective, the oem should handle it. How they do, that may not be in anyone's favor but there own.
I contacted directly HQ of the bike. They shall respond tomorrow.
Lipown3 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Papa Tom
Northeast
1
05-02-15 02:16 PM
iTrek
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
6
01-03-14 08:56 AM
Andrew R Stewart
Framebuilders
8
06-07-12 07:03 AM
Velo Dog
Fifty Plus (50+)
14
03-01-10 09:41 PM
oceantin
Bicycle Mechanics
4
10-21-08 09:30 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.