Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sign of the times?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sign of the times?

Old 06-02-20, 10:37 PM
  #1  
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy
Thread Starter
 
Senior Ryder 00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Fiscal Conservative on the Lefty Coast - Oregon
Posts: 588

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 36 Posts
Sign of the times?

Hi Folks,

Is it just me or are the threads getting increasingly argumentative, snarky and convoluted? When I started with BF a few years ago, members were friendly, courteous and helpful.

Recently, we’ve had rambling threads about inconsequential subjects. Seven pages ragging on a member because he was putting his “trophy bike” in storage. Another four pages on the accuracy of tire gauges. And so forth.

Are other members sensing this? Could it be just the stress of the times?

Regards,

Van
__________________
Remember: Real bikes have pedals.
...and never put a yellow tail on a Red, White and Blue kite!
Senior Ryder 00 is offline  
Likes For Senior Ryder 00:
Old 06-02-20, 11:45 PM
  #2  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 13,308

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6338 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,979 Posts
Maybe some of it is due to stress from recent events, but no it isnt new.

1- its a forum. Its a place where anonymity allows some to feel emboldened in their responses compared to in person discussions.
2- its always been snarky in some subforums. An example is that mods will openly mock and joke about posters from the past and infamous threads from the past.
3- its an elitist sport. Even in a relatively supportive social site like BF, those who feed into the elitism narrative will express that in posts.
mstateglfr is offline  
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-02-20, 11:58 PM
  #3  
MarcusT
Senior Member
 
MarcusT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NE Italy
Posts: 1,108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 154 Posts
Perhaps it was before my time, but I have always seen "colourful" discussions for the inane subjects. If there is one thing the internet has shown us, is that if anybody is perceived as incorrect in facts, tech, opinion or even the time of day, the community will be sure to let that member know.
MarcusT is offline  
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 06-03-20, 12:30 AM
  #4  
base2 
Random Internet Person.
 
base2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,699

Bikes: 5 good ones, and the occasional project.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 292 Posts
No. It just is.

There is always the fredly-fred-fred asking some inane sumthin' or other & the 7 page thread that originated because of an obtuse misunderstanding of this or that.

I, myself made a comment once about it being harder to keep a high average heart rate when you get fitter because your heart rate recovers much quicker when you are fit & you have achieved the adaption necessary to meet a particular performance level. Pages & pages it lasted about all sorts of minutia regarding ATP & mitochondria, et. al...Blah, blah.

Welcome to teh internets.
base2 is offline  
Old 06-03-20, 01:18 AM
  #5  
Flip Flop Rider
Senior Member
 
Flip Flop Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: South Carolina Upstate
Posts: 1,970

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked 483 Times in 273 Posts
snarky and convoluted are bike forum staples, and are to be expected
Flip Flop Rider is offline  
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 06-03-20, 03:44 AM
  #6  
SurferCyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Pembrokeshire, UK
Posts: 79

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
Unfortunately it seems this is the way on internet forums. Lots of self declared experts and people looking to score points. This was reason I left Bike Radar forum (UK based forum). It got very snarky and petty and ultimately not a place worth visiting. This site seems better but I have seen several threads where everyone is convinced THEY are right and only them.
SurferCyclist is offline  
Old 06-03-20, 04:29 AM
  #7  
hillyman
WALSTIB
 
hillyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,798
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 181 Posts
Seems about the same to me since I've been here off and on since 2002. A microcosm of the real world. I like to think of like Thanksgiving with the family every day.
__________________
www.bikeleague.org

hillyman is offline  
Likes For hillyman:
Old 06-03-20, 04:32 AM
  #8  
kayakindude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: New England
Posts: 359

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman View Post
I like to think of like Thanksgiving with the family every day.
That one made my day!
kayakindude is offline  
Likes For kayakindude:
Old 06-03-20, 04:37 AM
  #9  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 5,215

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT View Post
Perhaps it was before my time, but I have always seen "colourful" discussions for the inane subjects. If there is one thing the internet has shown us, is that if anybody is perceived as incorrect in facts, tech, opinion or even the time of day, the community will be sure to let that member know.

"It's Five O' Clock Somewhere"





OldTryGuy is offline  
Old 06-03-20, 04:47 AM
  #10  
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Looney Tunes, IL
Posts: 7,397

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00 View Post
Hi Folks,

Is it just me or are the threads getting increasingly argumentative, snarky and convoluted? When I started with BF a few years ago, members were friendly, courteous and helpful.

Recently, we’ve had rambling threads about inconsequential subjects. Seven pages ragging on a member because he was putting his “trophy bike” in storage. Another four pages on the accuracy of tire gauges. And so forth.

Are other members sensing this? Could it be just the stress of the times?

Regards,

Van
If this goes 7 pages with posters telling you you're wrong, then you're right.
AlmostTrick is offline  
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 06-03-20, 05:22 AM
  #11  
FlMTNdude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Gainesville FL
Posts: 531

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
It's the internet. I stay away from Facebook because the most benign post ends up with someone starting an argument. As a bit of a Fred on a somewhat Freddy bike who is somewhere between roadie and commuter, I try my best to be neutral, and realise that 1. I will be 'attacked' at some point 2. Just because I am right doesn't mean I am not wrong at the same time (or vise versa) and 3. It is quite easy to misinterpret any post or reply. I cannot always determine tone, sarcasm or the person's ability to transcribe their exact emotion into print.
FlMTNdude is offline  
Old 06-03-20, 05:56 AM
  #12  
freeranger
Senior Member
 
freeranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,105

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 266 Posts
Yes, and have noticed also that threads seem to be morphing into a different topic than what they started out to be (and I just did it--damn!!)
freeranger is offline  
Likes For freeranger:
Old 06-03-20, 06:06 AM
  #13  
PoorInRichfield
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richfield, WI
Posts: 582

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Trek Boone 9, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 143 Posts
Having been relatively active on multiple forums, I've found BikeForum.net to be better than most in terms of snarky, useless, and derogatory comments. I personally feel like it is a sign of the times in that the way people act on forums when they feel 'anonymous' is a reflection of who they really are as a person. I'd find it hard to believe that a super friendly, super helpful person in real life would suddenly become an Internet ******* like a lot of forum posters are.

I try to make my comments remotely useful and avoid bad mouthing other users, even when they attack me for no good reason.

Last edited by cb400bill; 06-03-20 at 10:34 AM. Reason: PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THE SPELLING OF CENSORED WORDS TO BYPASS THE FORUM CENSOR
PoorInRichfield is offline  
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 06-03-20, 06:14 AM
  #14  
BNSF
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
I've only been here a few weeks and it quickly became obvious to me this is the most snarky and condescending forum I've ever seen.
BNSF is offline  
Likes For BNSF:
Old 06-03-20, 06:44 AM
  #15  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5,339

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00 View Post
Hi Folks,

Is it just me or are the threads getting increasingly argumentative, snarky and convoluted? When I started with BF a few years ago, members were friendly, courteous and helpful.

Recently, we’ve had rambling threads about inconsequential subjects. Seven pages ragging on a member because he was putting his “trophy bike” in storage. Another four pages on the accuracy of tire gauges. And so forth.

Are other members sensing this? Could it be just the stress of the times?

Regards,

Van
NO, YOU'RE INCREASINGLY ARGUMENTATIVE, SNARKY AND CONVOLUTED! NO, YOU'RE RAMBLING AND INCONSEQUENTIAL!
WE'RE ALL STILL FRIENDLY, COURTEOUS AND HELPFUL...YOU JERK!

(And now, because it is an internet forum, I'd better add **humor** here at the bottom.)
BobbyG is offline  
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 06-03-20, 07:31 AM
  #16  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 31,369
Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13922 Post(s)
Liked 6,930 Times in 3,501 Posts
IMO, I think some of what you are seeing are non-serious responses to the trolls who are allowed to ply their trade on this site because they tiptoe inside the boundaries of the rules and create site traffic, which, in turn, drives ad rates. Some of you who have been around long enough and are very active might know what I mean.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 06-03-20, 08:35 AM
  #17  
shelbyfv 
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 9,353
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2661 Post(s)
Liked 3,047 Times in 1,600 Posts
Yep. The forum is frustratingly tolerant of trolls and socks. In all fairness, the mods often remind us that they don't have time to read every post As a result they miss nuance and can't readily categorize a poster as a sock or troll when it's obvious to folks who follow the forum regularly. I've been beat on enough to know this will not change. If someone is concerned that the replies to a post seem exceptionally snarky, check the posting history of the OP.
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-03-20, 08:38 AM
  #18  
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 8,553

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4900 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 950 Posts
With a very small asterisk at the side, every internet forum is the same*:
1. You will have a small core group of members that have been on it for a long time, some for a really long time. They've seen every question asked a hundred times.
2. You will inevitably have a contingent of guys who just want to troll every thread. Some are very "good" at it... some are not.
3. You will have a steady/surging influx of noobs, who either come armed with earnest inquiry, or are cast-outs from other forums #2 , because they aren't very good at it.
4. You will have bots and spammers.

Group 3 will either transition into a 1, or a 2, or leave altogether. Sadly, disappearing as quickly as they appeared is the most common.
This is the fourth (maybe fifth?) forum I've moderated on since I joined my first forum, oh... yeesh, over 20 years ago? In that time, I have arrived at my First Rule of Forums:

All forums become the same, because whenever you gather together people of similar interests, they will argue.

*The exception is a Gran Turismo Online Racing forum I joined around 2000-- long, long before online racing actually existed.
We raced by gentleman's rules, and it was the most laid-back and cooperative forum I've ever known. It exists now only in the Internet Archive.
__________________
DrIsotope is offline  
Likes For DrIsotope:
Old 06-03-20, 08:45 AM
  #19  
Kabuki12
Senior Member
 
Kabuki12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ventura County ,California
Posts: 1,796

Bikes: 71 Stella,72 Mondia Special,72 ItalVega Grand Rallye, 73 Windsor Pro,75 Colnago Super,76 Kabuki DF,77 Raleigh Comp.GS,78 Raleigh Pro,80 Moto Gran Sprint,82 Medici Pro Strada

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 435 Posts
I think constructive opposition is helpful sometimes. I also think there are those that are just looking to start something. The latter just needs to be ignored. Cyclists are no exception and there are plenty of us that like to present an opposing view. I like history books and one of my favorites is a book about Abraham Lincoln's cabinet , called "Team of Rivals" it is about this very topic. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Kabuki12 is offline  
Old 06-03-20, 09:13 AM
  #20  
tkamd73 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Menomonee Falls, WI
Posts: 1,225

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400t, 1977 Trek 900TX, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 262 Posts
That, and people tend to be more thin- skinned and easily offended these days.. I’m into bikes, mostly CV, but others too, basically just use the forums to mine information, and possibly help out, if it’s something I’m familiar with. I don’t really care how the information is presented, or manner. I find it hard to be offended by someone I never met, or know personally. Why would their opinion matter to me. Lots of good stuff here, take what you need, and ignore the rest.
Tim
tkamd73 is offline  
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 06-03-20, 09:57 AM
  #21  
woodcraft
Senior Member
 
woodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,858
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 811 Times in 502 Posts
There's an extended "winter" effect, w/ folks cooped up & more time to post, but otherwise same-same, IMO.

I think of it as basically group entertainment, so a certain amount of pot-stirring is wanted to have something to read and post about.
woodcraft is offline  
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 06-03-20, 10:05 AM
  #22  
Reynolds 
Passista
 
Reynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,262

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 230 Posts
Some people come here looking for information, some for entertainment, some to share, some to preach, some to piss off others. Same as in other forums.
Reynolds is offline  
Old 06-03-20, 10:29 AM
  #23  
DMC707 
Senior Member
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 4,427

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
2- its always been snarky in some subforums. An example is that mods will openly mock and joke about posters from the past and infamous threads from the past.
.

Dial it up to 400 and Drope the Hamer (still funny after all these years )
DMC707 is offline  
Likes For DMC707:
Old 06-03-20, 10:32 AM
  #24  
livedarklions
Mr. Brifter, 2018
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 10,116

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5261 Post(s)
Liked 4,537 Times in 2,567 Posts
Depending on the topic, there appears to be differing kinds of antagonism displayed, although I don't think it's as bad as I've seen in a lot of other forums. I actually think the mods have gotten a bit better about reining in some of the cheap-shot trolls--there seemed to be a form of a troll post that would always survive where a person would say something really nasty against unidentified posters or a poster on the thread, but it would be very obvious if read in context who the troll was insulting. Those don't seem to be tolerated much anymore.

One type of poster responsible for a lot of the nastiness (and I won't name examples--we know who they are) is the self-appointed guru. That person will have decided they know the one true way to do something or all things, and if you dare suggest that either a) what they're advocating doesn't work for you or b) something else works for you, they will immediately get personally insulting, condescending and immediately launch into a canned 3 paragraph essay that they've probably posted versions of at least 5 times that month. Sometimes, what they're posting even has something to do with bikes.
livedarklions is online now  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-03-20, 10:36 AM
  #25  
livedarklions
Mr. Brifter, 2018
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 10,116

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5261 Post(s)
Liked 4,537 Times in 2,567 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73 View Post
That, and people tend to be more thin- skinned and easily offended these days.. I’m into bikes, mostly CV, but others too, basically just use the forums to mine information, and possibly help out, if it’s something I’m familiar with. I don’t really care how the information is presented, or manner. I find it hard to be offended by someone I never met, or know personally. Why would their opinion matter to me. Lots of good stuff here, take what you need, and ignore the rest.
Tim

TBH, the stuff that really makes me mad enough to react is usually someone posting as advice stuff that I think is discouraging and/or misleading to newbies. Stuff like "no pain, no gain" or you can't really ride until you have about $5k invested in kit.
livedarklions is online now  
Likes For livedarklions:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.